Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pregnant Boys Campaign To Help Reduce Teen Births?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 67 Replies

Do you think this could work? Interesting idea. 

'Pregnant' boys star in Chicago's campaign to reduce teen births

4 hours ago

pregnant boy
Courtesy Chicago Department of Public Health

Oh boy, he’s having a baby.

It’s hard to ignore these images of teenage boys sporting “pregnant” bellies and that’s exactly the intent of Chicago’s new eye-catching teen pregnancy prevention campaign.

Launched last month, it aims to “spark conversations among adolescents and adults on the issue of teen pregnancy and to make the case that teen parenthood is more than just a girl’s responsibility,” according to the Chicago Department of Public Health.

You can see the ads on public transit buses, trains, platforms and bus shelters throughout the Windy City, with organizers specifically targeting areas around high schools and communities where teen birth rates are highest, said Brian Richardson, a spokesman for the Chicago Department of Public Health.

“We wanted to create an ad campaign that would cut through the clutter and get people thinking about teen pregnancy and teen births, and how it can affect more than just teen girls,” Richardson told TODAY Moms.

“That’s why the campaign has been a success so far because it’s gotten people talking and it’s garnered a lot of attention.”

pregnant boy
Courtesy Chicago Department of Public Health

Photos of the “pregnant” boys were first used during a similar initiative in Milwaukee, Wis. When Chicago was looking for new ways to engage the public about the issue and showed the posters to focus groups, the images really stood out, Richardson said. So the city received permission to re-purpose the pictures and add their own touches.

The ads feature the slogan, “Unexpected? Most teen pregnancies are,” and they direct teens to visit BeYouBeHealthy.org, a website that provides information about sex, relationships and contraception. Richardson described the public response to the campaign so far as “overwhelmingly positive,” though not everyone likes the photos.

“Some people have found them shocking, but that’s part of the purpose,” he said.

Chicago's teen birth rate remains one of the highest in the nation, but it decreased 33 percent from 1999 to 2009, according to a report released by the Chicago Department of Public Health last December.

The photos are part of a larger campaign that aims to make sure that decline continues, Richardson said.

It’s not the first time a city has used provocative images and messages to get the conversation started about teen pregnancy – with mixed results.

In March, New York City officials were criticized for a public education campaign that featured posters showing toddlers with messages such as, “Dad, you’ll be paying to support me for the next 20 years.”

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM
7 moms liked this

I've seen these while riding the Blue line (train line here in Chicago). 

As much as I love the shifted focus to the boys participation in this, I still want to see more sex education in the schools, more condoms handed out and better access to birth control for teen girls and such. Not to mention better access to healthcare in general. Planned parenthood is popular here in Chicago but they can sometimes still be difficult to get to. 

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM
6 moms liked this

I love this campaign.

I'm the mom of two boys and my biggest worry is them accidentaly getting a girl pregnant when they're teens. They'll be taught very clear and comprehensive sex ed by hubs and I, it will be a constant thing starting from about 11 on, not something we just mention once then never again.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you: everyone needs to understand what's involved.

Quoting Arroree:

I love this campaign.

I'm the mom of two boys and my biggest worry is them accidentaly getting a girl pregnant when they're teens. They'll be taught very clear and comprehensive sex ed by hubs and I, it will be a constant thing starting from about 11 on, not something we just mention once then never again.

rfurlongg
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM
I do not think this is the most effective way. I have three sons and I can imagine them ridiculing rather introspetively viewing this advertisement.

I do appreciate the new focus on boys. This is only the beginning. I hope the psa improves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I think it is very important to get boys in on this discussion. Everyone likes to focus on how the pregnancy affects the girl, but most girls have fantasies about how they will be different and it will be happily ever after.

We need to get these boys in on the conversation, because they are less likely to look at the situation with stars in their eyes. If we can get the boys to think twice, I truly believe the rates will drop. These boys need to know they only get one shot at making a choice that could ruin their life.

parentalrights1
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM
3 moms liked this
We do need to start makin boys as accountable as girls instead of treating sex like some right of passage for them and looking endearingly at dads who encourage the sexual activity.

Another thing for the girls would be society as a whole to stop teaching them that their goal in life is to find a man, get married, and live happily ever after. Odds are the boys their age are only thinking about enjoying things as they are and aren't concentrating on finding a life partner like the girls are. The girls don't see the boys as disposable like the boys see the girls because boys aren't encouraged to go out and marry right away.

People are starting to teach girls better, but not completely. Girls still seem more family minded than career minded early on. Trying to start a family with a boy at an age where the girl is disposable is a bad idea and the boys need to be taught to treat the girls better too instead of everyone putting everything on the girls
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Interesting.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Very innovative. I like it! Sadly I do not believe there are enough teen boys who step up to the plate and take full responsibility for parenting their child they created or taking an active role in making permenacy plans. This is a nice way to pull teen boys into this. 

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Very innovative. I like it! Sadly I do not believe there are enough teen boys who step up to the plate and take full responsibility for parenting their child they created or taking an active role in making permenacy plans. This is a nice way to pull teen boys into this. 

Sadly in many cases the teen boys aren't ALLOWED to take their share of the responsibility. Either their parents pull them away and start "slut shaming" the girl or the girls family bars him *much as the Palins did with the older daughters baby dady" and tells him he has no rights over the child or the girl and her family put the baby up for adoption without asking the father if he wants to keep it *which in my opinion should be illegal*.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I love these ads. These are way better than the other ones, and shoot through the Pregnant teen myth that only the mothers are responsible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)