Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

George Zimmerman Trial (talk about jumping in feet first!)

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 176 Replies
2 moms liked this

Talk about jumping in both feet first....

I'm sure this topic has already been debated, but there's a whole lotta posts on here, and since the trial is starting... And, since I just listened to some talking heads on TV, I figured, why not?

What are your thoughts on this particular case?

Mine?  I think that George Zimmerman is getting railroaded.  Yes, I feel for the parents of Trayvon Martin, no parent should have to bury a child.

As for this case?  When the incident first happened, the cops did NOT charge Zimmerman, because he was "standing his ground".  Florida Law... the "Stand Your Ground" law.  He was charged because "outraged" celebs raised a ruckus.

Look at the pictures of Zimmerman taken after the incident - his nose was broken, his head was bloody.  He didn't shoot the kid because he was black.  I don't think the kid's race mattered at all.  He called 911.  He asked bystanders for help.  As for the debate on who was screaming for "help" on the tapes?  I think it was Zimmerman.

The prosecution is going to bring up Zimmerman's character, but the defense can't bring up the text messages about marijuana and guns?  How is that a fair trial?? 

In my not so humble opinion, the judge SHOULD dismiss the case, with prejudice, and forbid the DA from re-filing charges.  This was not a case of murder.  I know that a lot, if not most, of the members will not agree with me, but my feelings on this case are strong, and I just needed to vent, and I am curious as to others opinions.

If there is another thread already, if someone will post the link for me here, I will read that thread.

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DonnaNoble
by Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:15 PM
13 moms liked this
I'm headed to bed, but I think GZ is a cold blooded murderer. Here's a bump for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Another Zimmerman fan girl.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome. See the search box at the top right? Type in George Zimmerman or Trayvon Martin and see the threads that pop up. There has been much discussion on this site. I had forgotten the whole enchilada started today.

Thanks for posting this.

Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

There are probably 75 threads at least.  Do a search.

katy_kay08
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM
27 moms liked this

Personally, I think George lost any claim to standing his ground when he started following Martin through the condo complex.   I find it strange that people believe Zimmerman had a right to follow Martin and claim he was within his SYG rights and yet do not believe that those same rights applied to Martin, the young man who was being followed by an armed Zimmerman.  If SYG is going to be applied to should be granted to Martin who was simply returning to his father's place while be followed by a strange adult male.  

greenie63
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM
4 moms liked this

He's guilty end of story. He was told to back off by the police. You won't get support from me or many others as you will see if you search the 3 million other threads on this. 

Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM
2 moms liked this

It'll be interesting to see the strategies used by the prosecution and defense.  O'Mara didn't get what he wanted.

Quoting Sisteract:

Welcome. See the search box at the top right? Type in George Zimmerman or Trayvon Martin and see the threads that pop up. There has been much discussion on this site. I had forgotten the whole enchilada started today.

Thanks for posting this.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM
9 moms liked this

I agree.

The other pne that leaves me shaking my head is how GZ can create the entire event/encounter, yet TM is not allowed to defend himself from the advances of an adult with a loaded gun. Is this America?

GZ had many safe places and opportunites to protect himself via different decisions- TM had none- he had to physically pass GZ to get back to his ONE safe spot, the townhome where he  was visiting.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Personally, I think George lost any claim to standing his ground when he started following Martin through the condo complex.   I find it strange that people believe Zimmerman had a right to follow Martin and claim he was within his SYG rights and yet do not believe that those same rights applied to Martin, the young man who was being followed by an armed Zimmerman.  If SYG is going to be applied to should be granted to Martin who simply returning to his father's place while be followed by a strange adult male.  

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM
5 moms liked this

I think Martin and Zimmerman, BOTH, have some form of guilt due to bad judgement and behavior. 

True, Zimmerman didn't have to follow Martin. After Martin ran and hid, he didn't have to make a point of confronting Zimmerman and could have continued on his merry way or even called the police himself.  Since they did confront eachother, they should have EACH identified themselves to one another rather than let testosterone get in the way. 

I do believe that Martin physically instigated the altercation. They even discussed how he was involved in fight clubs so he was probably interested in testing his skill not expecting to be killed, naturally. I do believe that Martin was beating the hell out of Zimmerman and either Zimmerman felt he needed to shoot him to get Martin from beating him to a bloody pulp or Martin saw the exposed gun and it was a battle between them. 

I'm sick of seeing Martin's picture when he was like 12 looking innocent rather than what he really looked like. 

I don't believe that it had anything to do with race. There had been break ins in the neighborhood and Zimmerman, whether off-duty or not, is part of the neighborhood watch and wasn't wrong when he said he didn't recognize Martin being from his gated community. I think it's gated. That's because Martin wasn't but Zimmerman should have identified himself as "Watch" and Martin should have simply said that he was visiting at x address where dad's girlfriend lives. That would have likely been the end of that. 

It's a typical case like many others with two stupid males involved. The fact that Martin lost his life doesn't make him anymore innocent. He played a role in it and so did Zimmerman. 

And no.. I don't believe "Stand your ground" applies in this case. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Link to info that Martin hide and assaulted/confronted GZ- Never heard that one.

Quoting GOBryan:

I think Martin and Zimmerman, BOTH, have some form of guilt due to bad judgement and behavior. 

True, Zimmerman didn't have to follow Martin. After Martin ran and hid, he didn't have to make a point of confronting Zimmerman and could have continued on his merry way or even called the police himself.  Since they did confront eachother, they should have EACH identified themselves to one another rather than let testosterone get in the way. 

I do believe that Martin physically instigated the altercation. They even discussed how he was involved in fight clubs so he was probably interested in testing his skill not expecting to be killed, naturally. I do believe that Martin was beating the hell out of Zimmerman and either Zimmerman felt he needed to shoot him to get Martin from beating him to a bloody pulp or Martin saw the exposed gun and it was a battle between them. 

I'm sick of seeing Martin's picture when he was like 12 looking innocent rather than what he really looked like. 

I don't believe that it had anything to do with race. There had been break ins in the neighborhood and Zimmerman, whether off-duty or not, is part of the neighborhood watch and wasn't wrong when he said he didn't recognize Martin being from his gated community. I think it's gated. That's because Martin wasn't but Zimmerman should have identified himself as "Watch" and Martin should have simply said that he was visiting at x address where dad's girlfriend lives. That would have likely been the end of that. 

It's a typical case like many others with two stupid males involved. The fact that Martin lost his life doesn't make him anymore innocent. He played a role in it and so did Zimmerman. 

And no.. I don't believe "Stand your ground" applies in this case. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured