Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

George Zimmerman Trial (talk about jumping in feet first!)

Posted by   + Show Post

Talk about jumping in both feet first....

I'm sure this topic has already been debated, but there's a whole lotta posts on here, and since the trial is starting... And, since I just listened to some talking heads on TV, I figured, why not?

What are your thoughts on this particular case?

Mine?  I think that George Zimmerman is getting railroaded.  Yes, I feel for the parents of Trayvon Martin, no parent should have to bury a child.

As for this case?  When the incident first happened, the cops did NOT charge Zimmerman, because he was "standing his ground".  Florida Law... the "Stand Your Ground" law.  He was charged because "outraged" celebs raised a ruckus.

Look at the pictures of Zimmerman taken after the incident - his nose was broken, his head was bloody.  He didn't shoot the kid because he was black.  I don't think the kid's race mattered at all.  He called 911.  He asked bystanders for help.  As for the debate on who was screaming for "help" on the tapes?  I think it was Zimmerman.

The prosecution is going to bring up Zimmerman's character, but the defense can't bring up the text messages about marijuana and guns?  How is that a fair trial?? 

In my not so humble opinion, the judge SHOULD dismiss the case, with prejudice, and forbid the DA from re-filing charges.  This was not a case of murder.  I know that a lot, if not most, of the members will not agree with me, but my feelings on this case are strong, and I just needed to vent, and I am curious as to others opinions.

If there is another thread already, if someone will post the link for me here, I will read that thread.

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Replies (171-176):
gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Once again, we do not know what happened after Zimmerman hung up with the dispatcher. To YOU, he didn't need to follow anyone. But again, you weren't living in that neighborhood. Zimmerman thought that Martin was behaving suspiciously, so he called. When Martin ran (I would've run, too, had I noticed someone following me), Zimmerman took that as he (Martin) WAS up to "no good".

He was looking out for his neighborhood. They had/have a neighborhood watch. I have one in my little neighborhood, too. And if I see someone who I think is behaving suspiciously, I will call the police. I won't follow them, but that's just me. And it's not illegal to follow someone whom you think is suspicious. 

Quoting glitterteaz:

no need to follow him and stand down is that same difference. He did not need to follow anyone... He is NOT a cop... He has no right to follow anyone unless they are on HIS property period!

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

Same difference? No, not "same difference". Maybe he was "stalking" him....or maybe he was just trying to see where Martin was going. YOU believe he had no business following Martin, but you weren't living in that development and dealing with what the residents had to (the multiple break-ins). Just because you would've done things differently, it doesn't mean what Zimmerman did (his actions prior to the confrontation) were necessarily wrong.

Quoting glitterteaz:

same difference and if he wasn't looking for trouble he would not have been stalking a teenager and let the cops be the cops. He had zero business and if anyone needed self defense it was the kid with NO gun.

sarawags
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Unarmed vs Armed 

Child vs Adult 

Being Stalked vs Stalking

Murdered vs Murderer 

gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I honestly don't recall ever reading that in any article(s). A lot of the articles from just after this happened were incredibly biased. That's why I originally thought Zimmerman killed a little 12yr old for just walking through his backyard. So I honestly don't trust any of those articles. Or, I take them with a grain of salt. That's just my opinion.

Quoting AllofFive19:

Unless I'm mistaken, GZ said he chose to ignore the dispatcher in one of the earliest articles about this.

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

I will ask you the same question I've asked everyone else who says this:

How do you KNOW that Zimmerman ignored the dispatcher? He was already out of his truck, trying to see where Martin was going, when the dispatcher asked if he (Zimmerman) was following him (Martin). Zimmerman said yes, and the dispatcher said, "Ok, we don't need you to do that." Zimmerman replied, "Ok."

So, how do you (or anyone else, for that matter) KNOW that Zimmerman ignored the dispatcher? The fact of the matter is, we don't. From the time that Zimmerman hangs up the phone, to the time that other people are calling 911, we have no real idea of what happened. Someone confronted someone. Someone started the physical altercation. But we don't know who did either of those things. It is entirely possible that Zimmerman ignored the dispatcher's request and continued to try to follow Martin (I say "try to" since he states on the tape that he had lost sight of Martin). But it is also possible that Zimmerman was on his way back to his truck and Martin confronted him.

Quoting AllofFive19:

Honestly, the 9-1-1 Operator told GZ that he didn't need to follow TM. GZ chose to ignore her, and now he needs to accept the consequence of his actions.

If you're told by a police office/operator, 'I think you should do this' and you choose not to do it, then you are accepting all responsiblity for your actions. Same way if the police officer/operator tells you not to do something, and you do it anyway.

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

Same difference? No, not "same difference". Maybe he was "stalking" him....or maybe he was just trying to see where Martin was going. YOU believe he had no business following Martin, but you weren't living in that development and dealing with what the residents had to (the multiple break-ins). Just because you would've done things differently, it doesn't mean what Zimmerman did (his actions prior to the confrontation) were necessarily wrong.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

either way by following with a gun he was looking for trouble had the roles been reversed the teen would have been arrested immediately. He called the cops that was all that was required, living in that neighborhood or not does not make him a cop or a super hero. He can follow but once he pursued that child he became a stalker once he pulled that gun he became a killer. His shitty choices make him a killer. 

Trevon did not follow that moron. he was heading to his house when an idiot jumped out of a car and started following/ chasing him. Zimmerman could have stayed at a distance to make sure the kid was not breaking in somewhere...he chose to play cop he deserves to rot in jail. he is a killer! 

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

Once again, we do not know what happened after Zimmerman hung up with the dispatcher. To YOU, he didn't need to follow anyone. But again, you weren't living in that neighborhood. Zimmerman thought that Martin was behaving suspiciously, so he called. When Martin ran (I would've run, too, had I noticed someone following me), Zimmerman took that as he (Martin) WAS up to "no good".

He was looking out for his neighborhood. They had/have a neighborhood watch. I have one in my little neighborhood, too. And if I see someone who I think is behaving suspiciously, I will call the police. I won't follow them, but that's just me. And it's not illegal to follow someone whom you think is suspicious. 

Quoting glitterteaz:

no need to follow him and stand down is that same difference. He did not need to follow anyone... He is NOT a cop... He has no right to follow anyone unless they are on HIS property period!

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

Quoting glitterteaz:

same difference and if he wasn't looking for trouble he would not have been stalking a teenager and let the cops be the cops. He had zero business and if anyone needed self defense it was the kid with NO gun.

Laao
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes GZ has to answer for his bad decisions. He screwed up by not waiting in his car, period.  Where the rubber meets the road is who started the physical confrontation? As you posed, who escalated it to "necessitate" gunfire. I quote necessitate, because self-defense or trigger happy???? 

Those are the only issues I'm interested in. The race isssue, who knows? We all come to this with preconceived notions.....

I know that this girl who responded to me on twitter assumed I was racist by my article. I can't prove to anyone who I am by one cyber exchange, but i will say, the facts need to prevail, not preconceivd notions of GZ or TM.

I will say racism, all the -sims are alive and sadly, everywhere. Just read an article on how sexism is still out there in numerous covert and overt arenas (great piece in NYTimes, the puzzling dilemna of sexism).

Quoting Sisteract:

Take race out of the picture.

Was GZ following a person who fit the profile of past criminals in the area?

Yes.

Did he do the right thing when he alerted poilice?

Yes.

Should he have STOPPED and gone on to Target or stayed in this car waiting for the police to arrive?

Yes.

Where was the first critical error made and who made it?

Who put this encounter and event in motion?

Who escalated the event by following?

IMO, if old grey haired gms had been hitting up his neighborhood, GZ would have followed and confronted them too.

GZ was not going to let any more "assholes" get away. Unfortunately, TM, on that night, was not being an asshole- GZ must answer for his wrong decisions- No matter TM's race.

Quoting Laao:

I just want to weigh in quickly. As someone who lives and visits Sanford frequently (I'm about 20 minutes away), I'm just hoping the town keeps its cool. It's a wonderful town, but yes ripe with old wounds of racial tension from many years past.

Fortunately clergy is attending the trial, unusual but necessary I think, then going back to their congregation to keep calm...... I wrote an article last year about evidence "suggesting" Zimmerman didn't have a racist past, and holy c.....did a woman of color get on my s......for this......I wasn't taking sides but she said as a white girl I had no right to weigh in.  I tend to think GZ is a murderer and didn't just act in self-defense but I have NO idea.  Was he profiling? Probably. Did Trayvon attack him first? I have no idea. I don't like people stirring racial tensions without knowing facts.  Call me a wuss, or too neutral but without knowing  the facts, I no nothing. 

sarawags
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Have you ever looked up the insane amount of 911 calls Zimmerman made previously to report other "suspicious" activity in his neighborhood as well?  

In Zimmermans mind - he already had legal authority to "do away with potential trouble makers" along with a not in reality obsessive "hunt down the maybe crime" missn. 

Zimmermans proven and recorded history proves all this - he had been like this for a long and consistent time,

Tray - however - did nothing more than randomly and innocently show up as the target of Zimmermans bound to happen at some point - vigilante extreme actions. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)