Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Toddlers Killed More Americans Than Terrorists Did This Year

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 236 Replies
3 moms liked this

Toddlers Killed More Americans Than Terrorists Did This Year

article image

Americans hate terrorists and love our kids, right? So you may be shocked to know that preschoolers with guns have taken more lives so far this year than the single U.S. terror attack, which claimed four lives in Boston.

This is admittedly tongue-in-cheek, but one has to wonder if the NSA’s Prism program would have saved more lives had it been monitoring toddlers – or gun owners – rather than suspected terrorists.

11 Deaths in 5 Months Where Shooter Was 3 to 6 Years Old

Listed below are the 11 gun fatalities I found where a preschooler pulled the trigger (from Jan. 1 to June 9, 2013). Starting with a list of five toddler shooting deaths The Jewish Daily Forward published in early May, I unearthed six additional cases. This tragic, unthinkable event has happened every month, like clock-work.

Jan. 10: 6-year-old playmate shoots and kills 4-year-old Trinity Ross, Kansas City, Kan.

Feb. 11: 4-year-old Joshua Johnson shot, killed self, Memphis, Tenn.

Feb. 24: 4-year-old Jaiden Pratt died after shooting himself in the stomach while his father slept, Houston, Texas.

March 30: 4-year-old Rahquel Carr shot and killed either by 6-year-old brother or another young playmate, Miami, Fla.

April 6: Josephine Fanning, 48, shot and killed by 4-year-old boy at BBQ, Wilson County, Tenn.

April 8: 4-year-old shot and killed 6-year-old friend Brandon Holt, Toms River, N.J.

April 9: 3-year-old is killed after he finds a pink gun that he thinks is a toy, Greenville, S.C.

April 30: 2-year-old Caroline Sparks killed by her 5-year-old brother with his Cricket “My First Rifle” marketed to kids, Cumberland County, Ky.

May 1: 3-year-old Darrien Nez shot himself in the face and died after finding his grandmother’s gun, Yuma, Ariz.

May 7: 3-year-old Jadarrius Speights fatally shot himself with his uncle’s gun, Tampa, Fla.

June 7: 4-year-old fatally shot his father, Green Beret Justin Thomas, Prescott Valley, Ariz.

At least 10 more tots have shot but not killed themselves or someone else this year (see here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here). In the first three cases, the shooter was only two years old.

I also found nine instances where children and teens seven to 19 years old accidentally killed themselves, a family member or friend since January (see here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here).

Of course, most if not all of the above deaths and injuries can be attributed to careless adult gun owners.

While this analysis focuses on children, another, equally accurate, headline could read: “U.S. Gun Culture Kills More Americans Than Terrorists Worldwide.” In 2010, 13,186 people died in terrorist attacks worldwide, while 31,672 people were killed with firearms in America alone, reports CNN’s Samuel Burke

We Need a Return to ‘Well-Regulated’ Gun Ownership

We can’t deny that guns pose a real danger to innocent American lives, and especially to children. While no one is “coming to take the guns” of responsible people, we still must reach a compromise to address gun violence. I don’t have all the answers but I know, as responsible citizens, we have to do something.

While some people refuse to accept any limits on gun ownership, we simply don’t have the right in America to circumvent personal restrictions that protect society as a whole. We can drink and we can drive, but we can’t mix the two. We have free speech, but we can’t shout “fire” in a crowded theater. We have the Fourth Amendment, but we still submit to searches of our bodies and belongings for the sake of air safety.

People who worship the Second Amendment should recognize the “well-regulated” aspect of gun ownership that the forefathers intended. Instead, we have a gun lobby that pays off senators to vote against background checks and gun culture that welcomes a three-year-old as a lifetime NRA member. I worry for that child’s playmates.

Follow the author: @LiberaLLamp on Twitter – On Facebook

Sources: The Jewish Daily Forward, CNN

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM
4 moms liked this

This issue does need to be addressed in some way but....All the background checks in the world won't prevent an irresponsible person from obtaining a gun and leaving it out for a child to find.  

Stop yammering on about friggin background checks!!

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Quoting jehosoba84:

This issue does need to be addressed in some way but....All the background checks in the world won't prevent an irresponsible person from obtaining a gun and leaving it out for a child to find.  

I agree with you. If someone has never committed a crime before, of course there would be no warning flags on the background check but that doesn't mean that person won't commit a crime in the future. It's good to do the checks but it's not THE solution because it's not 100% effective. There has to be other security measures put in place as well.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Toddlers are like criminals...they lack empathy, anger management, and impulse control.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Yea, I wasn't saying to do away with the bkgrd checks. Not at all. Only that the mention of them has no place in regards to child safety and guns.  

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting jehosoba84:

I agree with you. If someone has never committed a crime before, of course there would be no warning flags on the background check but that doesn't mean that person won't commit a crime in the future. It's good to do the checks but it's not THE solution because it's not 100% effective. There has to be other security measures put in place as well.

coronado25
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Guns need to be more high tech. You should have to input a security code or it must identify your fingerprint or have an eye scan in order for the trigger to be free to pull.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM
5 moms liked this

That describes a whole lot of non-toddler, non-criminal people as well.

I'm surprised at how angry and not-in-control a startling number of adults are these days.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Toddlers are like criminals...they lack empathy, anger management, and impulse control.

Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM
4 moms liked this

So tighter gun laws is going to stop stupid parents? Yeah I see that happening. We own guns in our house and ds is 3 he knows he is not to touch them. Even play guns in the store in the toy isle he will not touch, that is how much we have let him know it is not ok to touch a gun with out an adult telling  him its ok.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

It does describe many general assholes. Some people just never develop the skills they need to function in a social world.

Quoting GLWerth:

That describes a whole lot of non-toddler, non-criminal people as well.

I'm surprised at how angry and not-in-control a startling number of adults are these days.

Quoting UpSheRises:

sweetnspacey
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this

How many children die from drowning each year? lets ban pools and monitor every single household with a pool, hot tub or that's near any body of water!!!!!

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Prosecution of negligent parents/adults might work and I don't mean probation. I mean lots of jail time and heavy fines.

Maybe even mandatory insurance for ALL gun owners.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN