Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oregon Bans Smoking in Cars with Children

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:14 AM
  • 104 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you agree with this ban?

Options:

Yes. Absolutely.

No! A parent should have certain rights.

On the fence.

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 94

View Results

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — The Oregon Legislature has approved a bill that would make it a crime to smoke in a car with kids.

The House approved the bill in a 43-15 vote on Monday. It now goes to Gov. John Kitzhaber.

The bill would prohibit drivers from smoking in cars if a person under 18 is present.

Supporters say the bill will protect children who are especially vulnerable to the harmful effects of second-hand smoke.

Opponents agree that second-hand smoke is dangerous, but say that the state shouldn't regulate what drivers do in their own cars.

A police officer could enforce the ban only if the driver had been pulled over for separate traffic violation.

A maximum fine for the first offense would be $250.

Agree or Disagree with this ban? Adding a poll.

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:17 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree with it. Smoking in a car with children is exposing them to poisons and shouldn't be allowed. Honestly anyone who loves their children wouldn't even do it so it's sad they have to make laws against it.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting angelachristine:

I agree with it. Smoking in a car with children is exposing them to poisons and shouldn't be allowed. Honestly anyone who loves their children wouldn't even do it so it's sad they have to make laws against it.

People expose their children to chemicals all the time. Every time they spray them with sun screen or spray air freshener in their home. They feed them chemicals when they buy fruits or vegetables that have been treated with pesticides.

Should there also be bans for these items? Just curious.

destiny2nv
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM
I think this crosses a fine line.
While i do believe smoking around children is wrong, the government should not control what we do in our own personal spaces such as a vehicle or house. Next they will be telling us we can not smoke at home.
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this

seems orgeon is becoming another nanny state

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not at the same level.

I wish they had this when I was a kid. Maybe I wouldn't cough up blood now.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting angelachristine:

People expose their children to chemicals all the time. Every time they spray them with sun screen or spray air freshener in their home. They feed them chemicals when they buy fruits or vegetables that have been treated with pesticides.

Should their also be bans for these items? Just curious.

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this

cigarette smokes one and only purpose (to those not smoking) is to be poison the other things you listed have other purposes too.

Tell me what good effects can be found from exposing children to smoke and I might change my mind.

Also, i'm not saying adults shouldn't be able to smoke I'm just saying they shouldn't force children to breathe that crap in. 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting angelachristine:

Should their also be bans for these items? Just curious.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Yay! I hope it comes to pass in my state also.  There is nothing more digusting to watch than someone smoking in a confined car with children.  

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM
4 moms liked this

Why sure! Just as soon as they make the payments on my car, the gas, the maintenence, insurance, and give it a good cleaning every week!

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure.  I'm certainly concerned about government overreach, but at the same time, it's not the kids' choice to inhale smoke like that, and I think they are entitled to certain protections.  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the ban for the kids' sakes but I also understand that parents are still going to disregard their kids' health by giving them diabetes and high blood pressure and I don't agree with banning junk food. Its a fine line. Either we give parents the right to poison their kids or not...we can't pick and choose which abuse is okay and which isn't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN