Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Rachel Zoe's Son is Getting Flack For His "Girly" Hair

Posted by   + Show Post

Rachel Zoe's Son is Getting Flack For His "Girly" Hair

by Sarah Bernard

Uberstylist Rachel Zoe often posts photos of her 2-year-old son Skyler on Instagram. "Talk about bed head! xoRZ" was the caption for this latest shot which showcases his amazing saucer eyes as well as his now trademark fluffy curls.

Pretty undeniably adorable, right?

Well, not to everyone. For reasons I don't quite get this particular snapshot has inspired some pretty hostile comments

From the mild, "STOP MAKING YOUR BOY LOOK LIKE A GIRL" to the downright offensive, "Omfg are you nuts? Cut your kids hair you retard!"

First of all, whatever you think of Rachel Zoe's talent/show/persona/ clothing, why insult a little kid? Second of all, when did the world of little boy hair get so conservative?

It used to be that boys had army-style buzz cuts. Now that only happens in my kids' school if there's a lice outbreak! Pretty much all the boys in grade school have some version of what would be called "long hair" if we were living in the 1950s. From shags to Bieber-esque side swipes to tresses you could easily put up in a ponytail.

Still, there's something about gender-bending hairstyles that gets a reaction from people -- old and young -- even in this day in age.

Last week, a little boy in my daugther's first grade class came to school with the front of his hair pulled into one of those high ponytails a la David Beckham.

The kid was wearing skinny jeans and a t-shirt and, I thought, looked pretty darn cool. Other boys in the class did not agree. He got teased and questioned and teased some more until my daughter -- a fan of ponytails -- told him that she thought he looked great and was "very brave."

What?! Since when is a ponytail brave? These are kids who are being brought up in a world where plenty of their friends have two daddies or two mommies, where many dads stay home and many moms win the bread, where antiquated notions of gender roles seemed firmly, securely in the past. But the hair! The hair is what gets them. 

The next day, quite impressively, the little boy brought the ponytail back. And nobody said anything.

What do you think of little boys with "girly" haircuts?

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Replies (81-87):
mamalynnsmith
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:46 AM

My husband and i let our son s hair grow like that when he was tiny. I did not hurt him. When i see little skyler i think of shawn white.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I have pictures of my father from the 1940s where he has long blond curly hair.  That was about the only time in his life that he had a lot of hair, since he was already receding a bit by high school!   

Zoe's kid looks like a toddler and is very cute.  I don't see why people need to try to shame him or his mom because of his haircut.  

Quoting stacymomof2:

He's 2. And I think that long hair was pretty common for boys up until the 50s. Who gets all up in arms about a 2 year old s hair?

kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I'm not thinking GIRL. I'm thinking more Carrot Top!

obama._.nation
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I won't lie. I sombre care for his hair style. BUT I would never insult him or his mothers choice to keep it the way she wants.
dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

It's Rachel Zoe for Heaven's Sake!! I think I would have had "the first hair cut" by now, but that is not my kid. He is perfectly beautiful though!

cats911
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Yes, he looks like a girl in the photo.  I wanted my son to look like a boy.  I also wanted my girls to look like girls so I did not shave their hair off. (didn't my boys either).

manifer_momma
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Hmm, he does look like a girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)