Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Belgian Parliament Posed To Approve Child Euthanasia Law

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 153 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you think children should be able to make this kind of decision? What do you think of the Catholic Church's position of 'sedating them until they die' instead? Is that a better option?

link

The Belgian Federal Parliament is reportedly about to expand its controversial "right to die" policies to include access to euthanasia for some gravely ill children.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM
I agree with it. Idk how anyone can have watched someone die and not be for this.

Sedating children until they pass is like a less active euthanasia. Morphine is routinely used in hospice care. It's not to actively kill them but it slows resperations...
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I agree. Watching the slow death is so hard. At what point are we fighting the inevitable? It seems so much more humane to let them go.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

I agree with it. Idk how anyone can have watched someone die and not be for this.

Sedating children until they pass is like a less active euthanasia. Morphine is routinely used in hospice care. It's not to actively kill them but it slows resperations...

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM
3 moms liked this

We afford the same dignity to our pets and think nothing of it.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I would never want to make that decision for someone. 

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM
They are talking about children who are competent enough to decide for themselves.

Quoting fireangel5:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM
6 moms liked this

I don't think children are mature/competent enough to decide to end their life. 

Quoting LaughCryLive:

They are talking about children who are competent enough to decide for themselves.

Quoting fireangel5:

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this
That is sad. There are some very bright and mature children. I dont understand how hou could tell a 12 yr old that im sorry you are in so much pain that your morphine doesnt work but you aren't mentally capable of saying your ready to not be in pain.

Quoting fireangel5:I don't think children are mature/competent enough to decide to end their life. 
Quoting LaughCryLive:They are talking about children who are competent enough to decide for themselves.

Quoting fireangel5:I would never want to make that decision for someone. 

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM
3 moms liked this
A kid who has experienced cancer and the near death moments change that kid. They aren't like normal children. Their thoughts on death are different then healthy kid

Quoting fireangel5:

I don't think children are mature/competent enough to decide to end their life. 

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Quoting fireangel5:

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this
I feel if the kid is experiencing cancer that is killing them and there is no way they will get better they should be given that option
PamR
by Pam on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I agree with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)