Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Faculty Speaker at Public School Graduation: ‘We Don’t Need More Women as CEOs’

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:47 PM
  • 155 Replies

Faculty Speaker at Public School Graduation: ‘We Don’t Need More Women as CEOs’

On June 2nd, Peter Heck, a social studies teacher at Eastern High School in Greentown, Indiana, gave a controversial commencement speech at the school’s graduation ceremony. Among other things, he made several comments about female students’ future responsibilities regarding work and family:

Peter Heck

Ladies, I challenge you to a life of rebellion. To recognize that your body is a temple that is deserving of honor, not indiscretion. I challenge you to be women of virtue, finding beauty not in how many unprincipled men you can attract, but rather finding beauty in modesty and self-respect. I challenge you to devote yourself to family, to your children.

If you choose to have a career, God’s blessings upon you, but I challenge you to recognize what the world scoffs at… that your greatest role of your life will be that of wife and mother. That the greatest impact you will ever contribute to our world is a loving and devoted investment into the lives of your precious children. To solve the problems plaguing our society, we don’t need more women as CEOs, we need more women as invested mothers.

That excerpt comes from his website, which, if you visit, shows you this pop-up:

The link leads to a portion of his speech. It’s interesting that he doesn’t offer the speech in its entirety on his own website. One would think that printing the whole speech, with full context, would be beneficial to Heck in refuting the “irresponsible reporting,” but I digress…

Several news outlets featured students talking about Heck’s inherent sexism and discouragement of female students. One of them quoted a student saying, “It jumped out at me that he said [the female graduates] shouldn’t pursue a professional career.”

Huffington Post puts this speech in a broader context:

Heck’s comments come on the heels of the rising popularity of Sheryl Sandberg’s “Lean In” message and a Pew report stating that the number of working mother breadwinners has increased. Now women are the primary financial providers in 40 percent of households with children.

This isn’t the first time Heck has expressed disdain for shifting gender dynamics. In a blog post from July 2012 in the wake of the Aurora shooting, Heck described the present day as “an age where we too often yield to the idiotic sniveling of modern feminism that suggests there is no place in our enlightened society for men to act as ‘protectors’ of women.”

I could elaborate on the problems with the excerpt from Heck’s speech line-by-line, but instead I will only comment on a couple that jumped out at me. The major point of contention was his comment about how a woman’s “greatest role… will be that of wife and mother,” amplifying a traditional stereotype. He also dismisses and discourages women who have no desire to marry or have children and discounts those whose goals may include becoming a high-level executive. Young women about to enter adulthood should be encouraged to pursue the lives that they feel will bring them the most joy and fulfillment whether that be as a wife and mother and/or a CEO.

Second, I noted the absence of sex-positivity. He told the women not to use their body for “indiscretion” and not attracting “unprincipled men.” This was a commencement speech, not church, and Heck shouldn’t have commented on this at all. A woman has the right to use her body as she pleases and should not be shamed for the number or kind of men (or women, for that matter) she chooses to be with. I wonder what his thoughts are on lesbian marriage, single-motherhood, trans women, those who do not fit neatly into the gender binary, and asexuality.

For more examples of Heck’s worldview that will likely result in you shaking your head in frustration, you only need to peruse his website for a few minutes. Not only does he express his outmoded views on women and relationships, but he also misinforms on science and atheism. He has a couple dozen videos that are real gems, like “Wrong Way Atheist” where he compares atheism to driving the wrong way on a one-way street. It’s a bad idea, he admits, to follow everyone else if they jumped off a cliff… but when it comes to religion, he says next, it makes logical sense:

Also, “Burying Evolution in Info” is a three-minute video where he gives an inaccurate description of what “evolutionists” think while again using several logical fallacies.

His website has recently been revamped, but his Facebook page still has posts up from his old site showcasing his point-of-view.

Also, worth noting: he is a proponent of the Bible Literacy Project whose mission it is to “a encourage and facilitate the academic study of the Bible in public schools.”

I thought the big church/state graduation issue this year was administrators needing to green-light students’ speeches before they get onstage. Maybe they need to start doing that for faculty speakers as well.

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM
3 moms liked this

LOL did he discover that the gender wage gap was a myth and decided he couldn't take the competition?

I would challenge him to show an example of any given time that women were treated as if their body was a temple to be worshiped and did not fill multiple other roles than to just raise children. Honestly, I wonder where this idea came from and why people keep going back to this myth.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Hmmm. 

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM
3 moms liked this

Public school commencement speech?  In Indiana?  Alabama, I would believe, but not Indiana.  What a putz!  He should not be in the position to educate any child.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:00 PM
6 moms liked this

I feel that women should feel empowered to make decisions for themselves regardless of what other people feel 'we' should be doing. It's obvious this man feels women should set goals to be great wives and mothers. Hopefully he'll find a partner who agrees.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:00 PM
5 moms liked this
Quoting -Celestial-:

Also, “Burying Evolution in Info” is a three-minute video where he gives an inaccurate description of what “evolutionists” think while again using several logical fallacies.

Oh dear, oh dear.   He really isn't up on science.

Why on Earth was he invited to speak at a graduation?

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM
3 moms liked this

why is he not allowed to say what he wants? 

What about those of us who DO Believe what this man says, but our children are forced to listen to speakers in school that teach AGAINST our beliefs (not talking about the science debate) 

I think he should have as much right to speak at a school as any other speaker. 

It is our job as parents, to sensor our children (if that is what you choose to do, i dont) if your child comes home after hearing a speaker like this, its not hard to just say what I tell my child

"some people believe things differently than we do, there is nothing wrong with that, and we should respect other peoples veiws and opinions"

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Actually many women today are a prime example to this. I wish i could live my life this way, but i cant at the moment. 

Quoting stormcris:

LOL did he discover that the gender wage gap was a myth and decided he couldn't take the competition?

I would challenge him to show an example of any given time that women were treated as if their body was a temple to be worshiped and did not fill multiple other roles than to just raise children. Honestly, I wonder where this idea came from and why people keep going back to this myth.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM

well said!! This is exactly ho wi feel about it! 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I feel that women should feel empowered to make decisions for themselves regardess of what other people feel 'we' shuld be doing. It's obvious this man feels women should set goals to be great wives and mothers. Hopefully he'll find a partner who agrees.

lazycervix
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I don't think that someone of one religious belief should be able to speak to a public school without other religions or nonreligious folks being able to as well. My kids are athiest just like me I don't want them to feel left out of their graduation because its all about religion.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

but it would go the other way too. if there was a non religious speaker at the ceremony instead, the religious students would feel left out, because its not about religion at all. 

we cant make everyone happy 100%. 

Granted, I agree, at the school it should be non religious speakers. 

But its done and over. We cant change it. 

Quoting lazycervix:

I don't think that someone of one religious belief should be able to speak to a public school without other religions or nonreligious folks being able to as well. My kids are athiest just like me I don't want them to feel left out of their graduation because its all about religion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)