Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Houston Gun Group Fights The ‘War On Women’ By Handing Out Free Shotguns

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM
  • 19 Replies

By Rebecca Leber on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:45 am

Kyle Coplen, founder of the Armed Citizen Project. Credit: New York Daily News

The Armed Citizen Project recently began handing out free shotguns to 50 residents of a Houston, Texas neighborhood. Like the name suggests, the group wants a maximum number of armed residents in cities with higher crime rates, once applicants complete a firearms course and background check. Founder Kyle Coplen’s goal is to spread to 15 cities, although a gun giveaway is already underway in Tucson, Arizona— the site of a mass shooting two years ago.

Beyond encouraging residents with minimal training to fight crime themselves, Coplen wants to provide guns specifically for “vulnerable women.” The Armed Citizen Project website says this is, “Fighting the war on women, one free shotgun at a time.”

Women are an increasingly important consumer base to gun manufacturers and the NRA, a trend visible in the rise of typically exploitive, sexist marketing. But the real effect guns have on women’s security is exactly the reverse. A gun in the home often risks accidental deaths or suicide attempts, while it is also invariably more dangerous to women in abusive relationships. Women are not safer with guns, despite the NRA and allies’ insistence that gun violence prevention is anti-feminist.

Coplen hopes to eventually use his initiative as a type of field experiment that proves that guns have a “deterrent effect” on crime. However, the best research out there shows that the number of guns and gun deaths go hand-in-hand.

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM

From the "not safer" hyperlink in the OP:

Ignore The Political Rhetoric: Women Support Gun Safety Laws

By Annie-Rose Strasser on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Last week, at a hearing on gun safety legislation, a witness from an anti-feminist group was brought forth to argue that the US’s current gun laws are a boon to women’s rights. Women, witness Gayle Trotter said, need AR-15s because, “They have good handling. They’re light. They’re easy for women to hold… And the peace of mind that a woman has as she’s facing three, four, five violent attackers, intruders in her home, with her children screaming in the background, the peace of mind that she has knowing that she has a scary-looking gun gives her more courage when she’s fighting hardened, violent criminals.”

It turns out that Trotter couldn’t be more wrong.

Women don’t have peace of mind when it comes to guns in the home. In fact, a recent poll commissioned by the Women’s Donor Network shows the opposite. Sixty four percent of women think that tighter gun laws will help lower the overall level of violence in the United States.

But perhaps Trotter was only looking at the concerns of Republican women, who have the lowest levels of support for tighter gun restrictions. Only 44 percent of them believe that gun laws would make the US safer. On the other hand, low-income women and women of color are the most likely to support tighter restrictions on firearms. A full 86 percent of African American women think gun laws could reduce violence, and 77 percent of Hispanic women agree.

Women, in actuality, face heightened concerns of domestic violence with a gun in the home, since a woman is 12 times more likely to die in a domestic dispute if a gun is involved. They also tend to be the primary caretakers of children, and fear for their children’s safety.

Whether or not a gun is easy to carry and looks nice might not be the right question for Trotter to think about when she considers a woman’s support of gun laws. Rather, she might want to ask: When there is relatively little regulation of firearms, is there a real, increased threat of violence for women?

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

From the "best research" hyperlink in the OP:

The answer is not more guns

A trendy argument suggests we'll be safer if more people carry guns. It's dangerous, wrong and terrible policy

The answer is not more guns(Credit: Reuters/Bill Waugh)

By now, the response isn’t even surprising. After a horrific massacre like the one in Newtown, Conn., last week, gun-rights advocates will argue that someone with a gun at the scene could have stopped the killer. They conclude that the answer to mass shootings is to arm more people.

This argument is usually made by people who can be easily dismissed, like boffo U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, or Larry Pratt, the executive director of Gun Owners of America. Pratt said this weekend that “gun control supporters have the blood of little children on their hands” for preventing law-abiding citizens from bringing guns into schools.

But the more guns/less crime argument shouldn’t be dismissed so summarily. There’s an undeniable intuitive logic to it — if you were facing down an active shooter, wouldn’t you want to be armed? Nearly half of Americans keep a gun in their home — and the majority say the main reason they do so is to defend themselves. Across the country, states are expanding right to carry  laws, which allow permitted citizens to carry concealed weapons for their own defense.

In this month’s Atlantic, correspondent Jeffrey Goldberg set out to make the case in a smart and reasonable way that would be amenable to the kind of people who read the Atlantic. It’s a fluke of timing that it hit newsstands just as Newtown reignited the gun debate. His massive 7,000-word feature, titled “The Case for More Guns (And More Gun Control),” makes a compelling argument in what could be called the “Slate pitch” genre of contrarian counternarratives that seek to provoke by challenging widely held, though rarely debated, assumptions. In this case, he questions whether more guns invariably lead to more gun violence.

He advocates stricter gun restrictions like closing the gun show loophole and better training for people with concealed carry permits. But he concludes that with so many guns already in the hands of Americans (over 300 million, or about one per person) and the police incapable of protecting us, the situation is pretty much hopeless — so we’re probably better off arming ourselves and other law-abiding citizens so we can defend ourselves.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM
People are crazy. If it's so easy for her to shoot, think how easy it will be for her toddler to shoot the neighbor kid with.
paperorplastic
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it's an awesome program.  I'm not one to put my families safety in the governments hands.  I totally disagree with the fact owning guns encourages accidents and suicides.  Who makes this crap up?  Responsible gun owners know how to store, and use their guns.  Also, woman have been the major consumers in the household for decades.

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

A shotgun, Joe Biden would approve

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Nice to use women for his "field experiment"  Another dingdong

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. This Article is full of BS.

Quoting paperorplastic:

I think it's an awesome program.  I'm not one to put my families safety in the governments hands.  I totally disagree with the fact owning guns encourages accidents and suicides.  Who makes this crap up?  Responsible gun owners know how to store, and use their guns.  Also, woman have been the major consumers in the household for decades.

elkmomma
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Key word...RESPONSIBLE

Shit happens with guns regardless of sex or age.   People reduce the odds of "accident" when they are responsible and accountable.   New gun laws simply reduce the number of law abiding citizens from having them.  It does not reduce the number of criminals having them.

Quoting paperorplastic:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Are they also willing to provide training?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Yay...a shotgun, that'll show them Im no shrinking violent...Annie Oakley eat your heart out :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)