Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

California domestic violence victim fired as teacher — at any school in Diocese of San Diego — because school fears her ex-husband

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 158 Replies

"They’ve taken away my ability to care for my kids,” Charlesworth says.

KNSD

"They’ve taken away my ability to care for my kids,” Charlesworth says.

Carie Charlesworth thought speaking out about her abusive ex-husband would keep her safe.

Instead, it got the California woman fired.

“That’s why women who are victims of domestic violence don’t come forward,” a teary Charlesworth told KNSD-TV. “Because they are afraid of the way people are going to see them, view them, perceive them, treat them.”

The San Diego teacher was let go from her position as a second-grade teacher after the Diocese of San Diego decided her personal life posed too much of a risk to those in her professional life.

Carie Charlesworth, a victim of domestic violence, was told by the Diocese of San Diego that she could not work at any of its schools.

KNSD

Carie Charlesworth, a victim of domestic violence, was told by the Diocese of San Diego that she could not work at any of its schools.

“In the interest of the safety of the students, faculty and parents at Holy Trinity School, we simply cannot allow you to return to work there or, unfortunately, at any other school in the Diocese,” the April termination letter read.

It all began in January when Charlesworth called police three separate times over a weekend on her ex-husband, Martin Charlesworth. When she went to school Monday, she warned her principal of the harassment and asked that police be called if the man showed up to the private school. Martin Charlesworth showed up — and the school went into lockdown.

The ex-husband was arrested and jailed on two felony counts.

But after the incident, Carie Charlesworth was put on indefinite leave and her four children, who attend the school, were kicked out as well.

Carie Charlesworth, a victim of domestic violence, was fired from Holy Trinity School in El Cajon, California, after a dispute involving her ex-husband who is currently in jail.

KNSD

Carie Charlesworth, a victim of domestic violence, was fired from Holy Trinity School in El Cajon, California, after a dispute involving her ex-husband who is currently in jail.

“That’s what it felt like, like the kids and I were punished for something we didn’t even do,” the teacher told the TV station as she wiped away tears.

The final blow came in April, when Charlesworth was formally terminated after 14 years as a teacher in the district.

"They’ve taken away my ability to care for my kids,” Charlesworth said. “It’s not like I can go out and find a teaching job anywhere.”

But that’s just want parents of students at the school want. A large number of parents allegedly told KNBC that they feared for their children’s safety if Charlesworth returned to teach. If she did, they said, they would pull their children from the school.

“That’s what it felt like, like the kids and I were punished for something we didn’t even do,” says Carie Charlesworth.

KNSD

“That’s what it felt like, like the kids and I were punished for something we didn’t even do,” says Carie Charlesworth.

And the diocese has “ministerial exception,” meaning its teachers can be fired without cause.

Charlesworth says its causing her to lose faith in the system — and religion.

“I haven’t been back to a Catholic church since this happened,” she said.

Charlesworth plans to file a lawsuit disputing the decision. And as she grapples with her professional life, her personal life still haunts her: Her ex-husband is expected to be released from jail June 28, according to online court records.

“Everything I thought I had, I don’t,” she said.

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM
7 moms liked this

I feel very sad for her.

It sounds like the school is putting the safety and welfare of the students ahead of the teachers' personal situations.  I do believe that is the right thing to do.

survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM

This ia really tragic.  I really feel for her.  I once had to go to an employer and ask to move my vehicle outr of the employee lot, I had to explain the DV that was occuring.  I did not lose my job, I cant imagine yet in light of recent events I can understand why.  Its a tragic undeserved consequence though.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:45 PM
7 moms liked this

Funny they have no problem shuffling around child molesting priests, can't they do that for her? tell the Vatican to sell  a few tchotchkes and come up with the fucking money to help this woman relocate to some other part of the country and give her a different job?

survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting autodidact:

Funny they have no problem shuffling around child molesting priests, can't they do that for her? tell the Vatican to sell  a few tchotchkes and come up with the fucking money to help this woman relocate to some other part of the country and give her a different job?

You really do have a point.  The Church could have reached out to her.  I was thinking on a local level but the chrurch surely isnt a local entity.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel for this woman, but I can understand the school's concerns.. 

Peanutx3
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

what a tough situation.  I understand the school needing to put the safety and welfare of all the students ahead of a teacher but the school is a religious organization and should at the same time offer support in times of need.  I do think after 14 years they could have found a way to help.  Maybe like another poster said pay to relocate her to another town.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM

he's threatening her from prison?

Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM
My nephew goes there!

Public schools would have been more helpful after 14 years. They could have put her on leave with pay and benefits.
Their poor kids! This guy is obviously a psychopath!
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I do understand your concerns too and I think in removing her from the campus they're doing the right thing they have to think of the safety of their students and staff. However, like you said, they could've done more for her, too.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I feel for this woman, but I can understand the school's concerns.. 

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM
5 moms liked this
Lock the husband up for life. problem solved.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)