Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No more NFL games for me if this ends up being for real

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM
  • 78 Replies

I will sell my Saints' tickets

Tony Romo Apparently To Blame For Basketball Turnovers As Well

NFL Announces New Bag Restrictions, Renders Millions Of Purses Useless And Alienates Female Fans

Written by Sarah Sprague / 06.14.13

NFL Licensed Game Day Purse That No Longer Is For Game Days

This is my game day purse. It is officially licensed NFL merchandise from Littlearth, and if memory serves me correctly it is actually called the Game Day Purse. It holds my Terrible Towel, small wallet, keys, sunscreen, hand wipes, spare handwarmers, extra hair rubberbands, tickets and when needed, enough maxipads and tampons to get me through a 12-hour game day outing. I’m a pretty low-maintenance gal, but from time to time I’ll jam in a spare hat or scarf in if it’s cold, but only if I have room. Once I stuffed an Ape in my purse as a joke. It’s really not a big bag at 14 x 12 inches. Doesn’t even have any inside pockets to inspect when at the gate.

And after serving me well for years, it is no longer welcome at NFL stadiums.

Today the NFL announced strict new bag policy in the name of public safety and speeding up the screening process. NFL.com reports:

“Beginning with preseason games, fans will have only be allowed to brin in small clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags that do not exceed 12″ x 6″ x 12,” a press release from the league reads.

Other options include a one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (like Ziploc) or a small “clutch bag,” approximately the size of a hand. An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at a gate designated for this purpose.

“Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, seat cushions, luggage of any kind, computer bags and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size,” the statement reads.

A quick look at NFLShop.com doesn’t list any clear bags that would fit the new size requirements, and only has a few small wristlets and phone holders that would pass inspection. Of course these small bags don’t hold anything more than a lipgloss, phone and a wallet, but why would a fan need more than that at a game anyway? Right, back to those pesky maxipads and tampons.

If I want to carry them in a bag that isn’t transparent — I’m old and no longer embarrassed by my period like a teenager, but I also don’t announce to the world each month when I’ve got CARRIE going on between my legs — and yet big enough to hold enough of them, I need to go to the gate and have them approved as medically necessary? How does that speed up the screening process, considering 42% of the NFL fan base is female and assuming more than one or two us are going to have our period on any given Sunday? Are we going to get our own separate gate as not to slow down everyone else from getting into the game? Will there be a “WARNING: BEARS” sign above our special lady-time gate?

A quick look at Twitter shows general displeasure from female fans about the new rule — in particular I like this woman’s moxie of threatening to just bring a box of tampons — and confusion since none of the current purses for sale from the league meet their own guidelines. Over at TheFootballGirl.com they’re demanding refunds for purses they’ve recently bought at games.

The league is not one to acknowledge mistakes often, but when nearly half of your customers are going to be effected in a negative way you have to imagine they might revisit this rule as the season draws closer. Until then, I look forward to carrying this into the stadium this year.

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
denise3680
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM
8 moms liked this

wel I think anything that has a Steelers logo or colors or anything steelers should be banned period:)  I think they are taking this a bit far but it still would not stop me from going of watching my beloved football:)

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Eh
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

My purses are part of who I am and I am not giving up my purse for a ziploc bag.   I have three kids, and I can't fit everything into a ziploc, nor should I have to. 

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like it's being done for safety issues. Can't say I disagree with all the craziness that's been going on.
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes, because bringing a ziploc bag with lip gloss and tampons means I can't carry a gun under my shirt or have flammable liquids in my pocket.

Quoting ashellbell:

Sounds like it's being done for safety issues. Can't say I disagree with all the craziness that's been going on.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Are they not implementing tighter security such as metal detectors? I know here to go to a basketball game you have to go through security. Of course, they aren't going to be able to cover every aspect of security, but I get why they're doing it. You have the right to sell your tickets and be angry.

Quoting talia-mom:

Yes, because bringing a ziploc bag with lip gloss and tampons means I can't carry a gun under my shirt or have flammable liquids in my pocket.

Quoting ashellbell:

candlegal
by Judy on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Why don't they just hire some TSA agents so they can pat everyone down.

ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't carry my purse to things like that anyway. I carry everything I need in my pockets. A little cash/my bank card, my keys, and my phone. I love my purses but I don't see the need to carry a big bulky purse to sporting events. I put in sunscreen before I get out of the car and when I needed tampons they were small enough to fit easily in my pocket as well. This won't stop me from going to games.

EmilysMom2010
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I couldn't imagine going to a game with just what I can fit in my hand. That sucks.
valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM

They do this already to a point at the superdome, and I get searched when I go to certain places like amusement parks etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured