Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Merry Christmas' now legal in Texas schools

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 184 Replies
4 moms liked this

Though the Christmas season is half a year away, season's greetings were fresh on the lips of state legislators this week.

Gov. Rick Perry signed into law Thursday a bipartisan bill that eliminates legal issues surrounding the verbal use of "Merry Christmas" in Texas public schools. Perry said "religious freedom does not mean freedom from religion," according to The Associated Press.

Bryan and College Station schools superintendents said they've never experienced issues surrounding the phrase but believe the legislation is a positive measure.

"In our world of being politically correct, we sometimes go to extremes to not offend anyone," said Eddie Coulson, superintendent of College Station schools. "Allowing students, staff and faculty to say 'Merry Christmas' is a step in the right direction in terms of common sense."

Holiday representations, including the menorah and Nativity scene, are protected by law when more than one religion is represented.

Tommy Wallis, superintendent of Bryan schools, said the bill will bring relief to school districts across the state.

"Texas is a very traditional state. You've got a lot of families that are Christian-based [in public schools]," Wallis said. "There are so many people in our culture, whether they are Christian or not, who say 'Merry Christmas.' This is something that will allow people to say 'Merry Christmas' and not be in fear of being sued or reprimanded for it."

Houston Republican Rep. Dwayne Bohac, who sponsored the bill, said it will bring protection from "ridiculous" lawsuits regarding political correctness, the Associated Press reported.

"I think people of all faiths are associated with this," Wallis said. "It takes stress off some people who are in the habit of saying it. As school administrators, we appreciate that because we are already under the microscope of the public eye."

The bill passed quickly through both the House and Senate.

According to The Associated Press, about 10 Santa Claus impersonators were invited to the bill signing and rang sleigh bells as it was made a law.

source

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Was it ever illegal? I'm sure someone will get offended when they wish someone merry christmas and that person responds with happy holidays. Persecution!!

candlegal
by Judy on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't think so.   It is more about doing something before the trouble starts.    We know it is on the way, lol

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Was it ever illegal? I'm sure someone will get offended when they wish someone merry christmas and that person responds with happy holidays. Persecution!!

Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM
7 moms liked this

*sigh

I had no idea that legalities were now even considered in saying a very common Christmas holiday greeting.

It's better to say, "Merry Christmas" then to tell someone where they can stuff the mistletoe and candy canes at that time of year, you know? ;)

wreath

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

not surprised that religious intollerance is protected in texas.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this

"In our world of being politically correct, we sometimes go to extremes to not offend anyone," said Eddie Coulson

I do agree with the above statement.

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM
2 moms liked this

When was it ever illegal?

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
It's always been legal to wish the wrong holiday greeting to non-Christians. Nor does it prevent me from saying happy holidays, happy Chanukah, or blessed Solstice in the schools.

This law will in no way prevent me from contacting any group i feel necessary if an overly religious nativity scene is present in my DD's public school, menorah present as well or not. Texass state law does NOT trump the US Constitution.
BookGirl419
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM
The whole Christmas thing is ridiculous. Who cares if someone says merry Christmas or happy holidays or seasons greetings?
I have to be honest I have seen more stink about happy holidays than I have about merry Christmas. But really the whole thing is ridiculous.
ashellbell
by shellbark on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM
9 moms liked this
Lol. It's not even an issue. Perry is such an asshat.
Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM
3 moms liked this
I really cannot understand what the big deal is about this and why money is being wasted making this a law. I'm Jewish. A merry Christmas greeting is no more than a good salutations in December. Let us spend time and money on the truly important things like educating our youth.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)