Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Religion and the neighbor kids

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 54 Replies
We are Christian with a 5 and 3 years old. The neighbors are Muslim with a 6 and 4 yr old. Needless to say the kids are all best friends. We have a CD player out with various CDs that my kids can choose, 2 of which are Christian, one is kids Christian, the others are bluegrass. Last week the 4 yr old neighbor girl asked for the Christian kids CD, I told her I didn't think her mom would appreciate that since we are different religions. The 6 yr old agreed. Today the kids came in from playing and listened to music. We had family over and us adults were outside. They listened to some kids songs and then put the Christian kids one in. I didn't know until my son said "mommy come listen with us' it's Amazing Grace!" (he knows its my fav). I let them listen to one more and them go out to play. My thinking was it's my kids that choose the song' and their house so I'm not goingto stop them but . . . I'm not sure how to handle that. I won't suppress my children's interest, but I'm not trying to convert a 4 yr old either. WWYD?
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SoKamele
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Why are you trying to curtail what you are doing at your home???

If the parents were concerned they would come talk to you.

Aestas
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM

You could always talk to the neighbor parents and see how they feel about it. If it bothers them, you could try putting the Christian CDs away when the neighbor kids come over.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me for my kid to be exposed to things from different religions at their friends' houses unless someone was actually proselytizing to her and trying to convert her. If the latter happened, I'd first ask that whoever was doing it please stop, and if that didn't work, I'd have to consider whether I felt comfortable having my child at that person's house anymore.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM
3 moms liked this
I think its great that you want to be careful not to offend but as long as its the kids choice, then it should be fine. If the parents are worried about it they will let you know.
jllcali
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Just talk to the parents.
RobinChristine
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM
3 moms liked this

What about asking them to bring over a CD of their music to share. Your kids shared their music,now it can be their turn.Can both families  have a  sit down Q&A where  they can ask questions about each other and explain why your( their) beliefs are important to them as a family.

Della529
by Matlock on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Why not just ask their parents?

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM

find some good secular music that your children can enjoy with their friends

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I'm going to go with the crowd and just ask the parents like you would for any play date issue.  Likely they will not care, but if they do they will appreciate you asking.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I'd ask the parents if they're bothered. "Amazing Grace" crossed from religious to secular many many years ago, though.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd talk with the parents and see what they think. I personally have no problem with my kids being exposed to different beliefs/cultures/faiths/lifestyles in an innocuous way (such as having friends with different cultures...) it doesn't sound like you are pushing it so I would be fine. I would say the next time you see the other mom, just be like "hey, so and so seems to really like X cd. I wanted to make sure it was ok with you to let him listen. If not ill be sure to put it out of sight when they come to play. They're also welcome to bring some of their favorite music to share since all the kids seem to love to dance" . 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN