Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Convicted Steubenville teen classified as sex offender

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 55 Replies
Convicted Steubenville teen classified as sex offender
By CNN Staff
updated 8:39 AM EDT, Sat June 15, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
A judge rules Trent Mays should be classified as a sex offender
Mays and Ma'lik Richmond, high school football players, were convicted in March
They were convicted of raping a 16-year-old girl last year
The case, which involved social media, attracted worldwide attention on social media

Trent Mays must register as a sex offender every six months for the next 20 years, a judge in Ohio has ruled.
(CNN) -- An Ohio judge Friday classified as a sex offender one of two Steubenville, Ohio, teenagers convicted of raping a 16-year-old girl last year.
Trent Mays, a former high school football player, must register every six months for 20 years with the sheriff and the county where he resides after he completes his sentence, Judge Thomas Lipps ruled, according to the court's chief probation officer, Fred Abdalla Jr.
In March, Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, were convicted after being tried as juveniles.
Mays was also found guilty of disseminating a nude photo of a minor. The assault of the girl was partially documented in texts, tweets and pictures posted to the Internet.

Mays was sentenced to a minimum of two years in a juvenile correctional facility. Richmond was sentenced to a minimum of one year, but like Mays, he could be in detention until he is 21.

While Mays' status was the subject of Friday's hearing, no hearing date has been set for Richmond, according to Abdalla.

The teens were accused of raping the girl during a series of end-of-summer parties in August 2012.
The case received widespread attention after a blogger who once lived in Steubenville uncovered some materials posted to social media sites.
The blogger wrote about the possibility that the teenagers had been given preferential treatment because they played on the town's highly regarded football team. Police have denied that claim.
Later, the loosely organized hacker group Anonymous got involved, posting a lengthy video in which another teenager -- who has not been charged -- made joking references to the rape.
The ensuing ire over the case brought national attention and criticism to the city from around the country, leaving city officials struggling to defend the community and residents weary of the media spotlight.
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aestas
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Good.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
3 moms liked this
This is a great ruling. I only hope this sets a precedent and isn't an isolated case just because of the publicity.
jllcali
by Jane on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM
3 moms liked this
Why wouldn't he be? He is a rapist.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM
6 moms liked this

Damn...convicted of rape, makes him a rapist.  In any other country it subsequently makes you on the list of sex offenders.  Why the hearing?

Im still dumbfounded they only got a two year and one year sentence.

Rape of a women seems to mean nothing...but then and again when you can shoot dead someone for stealing a pack of gum when its dark and it be legal...1-2 years is an eternity.

Your justice system sucks the big hairy ones.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Quoting turtle68:

Damn...convicted of rape, makes him a rapist.  In any other country it subsequently makes you on the list of sex offenders.  Why the hearing?

Rape of a women seems to mean nothing...but then and again when you can shoot dead someone for stealing a pack of gum when its dark and it be legal...1-2 years is an eternity.

It's because they are minors. Are minors in Canada sent to prison for a long time?
BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Good. From everything I've heard, seen, read, Mays has been an un remorseful, spoiled brat who thought rules didn't apply to him. Even at conviction and sentencing, he acted like he wasn't wrong, and was 'mad' the whole ordeal was even brought to trial. Things he and his family have said, wow. Richmond, though his actions were also horrid, at least has shown he appears, anyway, to have a conscience. He cried during the trial, at the verdict, and gave a tearful apology to the girls' family at sentencing. Mays just looked annoyed.

Hubby grew up 20 miles south of steubenville and also played football, also basketball, and baseball in hs. Yes, sports are practically a cult following in these small, mill towns, by the ohio river. It has just rec'd more light shed on them with social media. Also, youth's increase in disrepectfulness. Hubby would've never dreamed of doing the things some kids there do today. I'm sure some kids did. 

And, yes, star athletes have rec'd preferential treatment for decades. Thankfully, most don't abuse it.

I just told hubby of this ruling and he said 'good'.

On a side note, Fred Abdalla JR, chief probation officer for Jefferson County juvenile court? Fred Abdalla SR, sheriff of Jefferson County. It might be totally innocent, but, nepotism is HUGE in these towns. I saw the name, and was thinking I'd read it before. Last names are everything in these towns. They also get you good or bad 'status'. 

Also, most of hubbies' family, on his mom's side, still lives near there. Most are really good, wholesome people. I do hate that a few bad apples have made this city (area) hated. But, at the same time, I'm glad. Many in the area needed a wake up call.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Healthystart30:

Quoting turtle68:

It's because they are minors. Are minors in Canada sent to prison for a long time?

They could be...I wouldnt know Im in Australia :-)

I thought they were tried as adults.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting turtle68:

Oh! Sorry, for some reason I assumed you were from Canada :)
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Good!!!

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Why are you asking her about Canada? How is that relevant? Just wondering. *edit: didn't see your response until after I posted...

Quoting Healthystart30:Quoting turtle68:Damn...convicted of rape, makes him a rapist.  In any other country it subsequently makes you on the list of sex offenders.  Why the hearing?Im still dumbfounded they only got a two year and one year sentence.Rape of a women seems to mean nothing...but then and again when you can shoot dead someone for stealing a pack of gum when its dark and it be legal...1-2 years is an eternity.Your justice system sucks the big hairy ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)