Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Louisiana Town Imposes an Overnight Curfew on All Its Citizens

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 22 Replies

Louisiana Town Imposes an Overnight Curfew on All Its Citizens

article image

If you live in Clinton, La., you better be home by 11 p.m. If you are an early riser, too bad, because you can’t leave your house until 6 a.m.

Clinton Police Chief Fred Dunn claims he knows everyone in Clinton, and he wants them at home during the hours when most crime occurs.

“The reason why I did the curfews is because of the businesses and homeowners,” said the 13-year police veteran. “My citizens have been telling me that when they go home, they don’t feel safe.”

With about 1,640 residents, Clinton sits 35 miles north of Baton Rouge in East Feliciana Parish.

Enforcement of the curfew began on May 30. Dunn said he likes it because when he saw two men loitering on the streets after curfew several days ago, he could tell them to move along. Dunn claims those same men committed a robbery in a town 18 miles away that same night.

Residents do not appear to be quite as happy as Dunn. WFAB reported that the curfew was hotly contested at a town meeting this week.

Long-time Clinton resident, Raven Davis, told WFAB he is all for the curfew but worries about innocent, law-abiding citizens being targeted, too.

"Like I said they have a job to do but you have to take into consideration the people too, the ones that are doing right," Davis said.

The curfew came up in the regular Board of Alderman meeting where one resident wanted to know, “Exactly what problem are we trying to solve by implementing a curfew?”

"Driving, walking or gathering together does not constitute criminal behavior," said another.

Dunn defended the ordinance, saying the overnight curfew will stop crime.

"As long as I'm chief of police and I have the support of these Aldermen and the Mayor, I'm going to do whatever I have to do to protect you, Ms. Flowers, Mr. Beachum, Mr. Davis, anybody," Dunn said.

"We'll have to adjust to it and see how it plays out but as I said I'm all for it," Davis said.

While the curfew still stands, Alderman Clovis Matthews said the town might revisit the issue when school begns in the fall.

Source: NBC News, WFAB

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
If they are having problems with crimes happening at night, then I can see why he would enact a curfew. I would have adjusted it to say 11-5 though.
codfish
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM
4 moms liked this
Perhaps the police should do their job instead of telling adults when they can leave their homes. When exactly did we turn into a communist country?!
IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM
3 moms liked this

We have a curfew here for kids 18 and under- they have to be off the streets from midnight until 5 am but telling adults they can't be out at that time is ridiculous.

RachelsMercy
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM

O. M. G. this reminds me of how one really scary book on government take over started.... cue twilight zone music...

going crazy

bluerooffarm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Don't they have anyone who works the graveyard shift? 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

bump

SuperChicken
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM

"As long as I'm chief of police and I have the support of these Aldermen and the Mayor, I'm going to do whatever I have to do to protect you, Ms. Flowers, Mr. Beachum, Mr. Davis, anybody," Dunn said.

Somebody had a Daddy Complex. 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Maybe that's not allowed either.

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

So messed up..... What about the kid who gets a high fever in the middle of the night and mom has to go to the drug store for medicine? What about the people who need the extra money from working overnight shifts? What about the insomniacs who love the peace of being outside at night? 

bluerooffarm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Maybe that's not allowed either.

Hmmm... that makes me wonder a bunch of things.  If graveyard shift was okay before and now would be illegal, who will payfor the locks needed for the stores that didn't have them before.  While in college I worked graveyard at a local convenience store that had no locks on the door.

Does it also mean that security guards are not allowed to patrol?  Wouldn't that make some places even more suseptible to robbery?  If only the outlaws (and not the security guards) are out and about, there are less eyes out there to stop crime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)