Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

5-Year-Old Girl's Lemonade Stand Teaches Hateful Church a Lesson About Love

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 66 Replies
6 moms liked this

5-Year-Old Girl's Lemonade Stand Teaches Hateful Church a Lesson About Love

by Julie Ryan Evans

Jayden SinkThey say location is everything, and it's definitely the beauty of 5-year-old Jayden Sink's lemonade stand. She put out her shingle right across from the headquarters of the hate-mongering Westboro Baptist Church headquarters in Topeka, Kansas, and last week she started selling Pink Lemonade for Peace.

Brilliant. According to The Huffington Post, at $1 a glass, she raised hundreds of dollars in just one day, plus more through an online campaign set up through Crowd Rise (currently $10,000 has been donated). And oh boy is Westboro steamed. Apparently they tried to find any way they can to stop her, including calling the police and even yelling profanities at her and her customers. But Jayden stood strong, and the customers kept coming.

Her stand is set up in front of Planting Peace's "Equality House" -- an intentionally placed rainbow-colored building about 20 feet from Westboro. Its mission is to support orphanages and work around the world to help poverty-stricken children. All of Jayden's proceeds will be donated to the organization.

She said when her parents told her about the significance of the building and that the church across the street promoted hate, she wanted to do something to help. So lemonade it was. What incredible initiative from someone so young. Her parents must be so very proud.

I don't normally go around quoting Whitney Houston songs, but she said it well in her song "Greatest Love of All": "Teach them well, and let them lead the way." Jayden has clearly been taught well.

As Davis Hammet, director of Operations at Planting Peace, said:

Jayden represents the natural humanity we are born with. We come into this world compassionate, caring beings and only become hateful if we are taught to be.

Lead on, Jayden.

How cool is this?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM
5 moms liked this

I would visit that girls stand every day if I lived there. Yay her!!!!!!!!

colins_mom
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this
faith in humanity: restored slightly.

I love stories like this.
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Me too!

Quoting desertlvn:

I would visit that girls stand every day if I lived there. Yay her!!!!!!!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

justbreatheOx
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM
This is awesome! Her parents must be so proud of her!
LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Awesome. Anything anyone can do to irritate these folks is great imo. They want to have freedom to do whatever they want and say whatever they want but they don't want others to do the same. Good for her parents, her and the community.

jeweldragons
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

So is this article saying that in addition to hating the military the WBC also hates helping orphans. Fucking assholes.  Good for the five year old. That's so cute and sweet.  you rock  little girl.

clappinggood

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't let my kid get involved in any such thing at that age. I commend her and her desire to help. I also wonder what the hell her parents were thinking.

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM
3 moms liked this
Am I the only one that thinks a child that young shouldn't be involved in such hard line issues?

I think it's a great thing, don't get me wrong, I just would worry for her safety around these nut cases.
Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this
These are the same people who yell to young children her age their mother/ father deserved to die in the line if duty and would even think to protest a eight year olds funeral in Boston. She wasn't to young and she wanted to do something about it. People forget that a good chunk of us come from a era where HIV / aids were talked and you had to be informed young. I think what she did was awesome
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

You go Jayden!

What a wonderful idea and such an incredible teaching moment for this young girl.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)