Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5-Year-Old Girl's Lemonade Stand Teaches Hateful Church a Lesson About Love

Posted by   + Show Post

5-Year-Old Girl's Lemonade Stand Teaches Hateful Church a Lesson About Love

by Julie Ryan Evans

Jayden SinkThey say location is everything, and it's definitely the beauty of 5-year-old Jayden Sink's lemonade stand. She put out her shingle right across from the headquarters of the hate-mongering Westboro Baptist Church headquarters in Topeka, Kansas, and last week she started selling Pink Lemonade for Peace.

Brilliant. According to The Huffington Post, at $1 a glass, she raised hundreds of dollars in just one day, plus more through an online campaign set up through Crowd Rise (currently $10,000 has been donated). And oh boy is Westboro steamed. Apparently they tried to find any way they can to stop her, including calling the police and even yelling profanities at her and her customers. But Jayden stood strong, and the customers kept coming.

Her stand is set up in front of Planting Peace's "Equality House" -- an intentionally placed rainbow-colored building about 20 feet from Westboro. Its mission is to support orphanages and work around the world to help poverty-stricken children. All of Jayden's proceeds will be donated to the organization.

She said when her parents told her about the significance of the building and that the church across the street promoted hate, she wanted to do something to help. So lemonade it was. What incredible initiative from someone so young. Her parents must be so very proud.

I don't normally go around quoting Whitney Houston songs, but she said it well in her song "Greatest Love of All": "Teach them well, and let them lead the way." Jayden has clearly been taught well.

As Davis Hammet, director of Operations at Planting Peace, said:

Jayden represents the natural humanity we are born with. We come into this world compassionate, caring beings and only become hateful if we are taught to be.

Lead on, Jayden.

How cool is this?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Replies (61-66):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Marketing doesn't equal hate. Capitalizing on a location of hatred to promote peace doesn't make her or her family hateful in return. It means they saw an opportunity to make a larger impact. Teaching children to try and bring light from darkness doesn't mean to hate the darkness.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Actually, as i already stated, they are BOTH negitive. 

BOTH sides are being ugly. 

when it comes to people and believers like WBC, i choose to ignore them rather than judge and hate them. 

And when someone else claims that they are trying to be GOOD, when in fact they are doing the very thing that they HATE about a group of people, that is not ok in my book. 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

It's REALLY unfortunate that you see this child and her family countering the WBC's negativity with something positive as hate. They aren't standing out thete with signs, calling names. They're selling lemonade and donating money to orphans. So hateful.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

A: that is not the point

B: that IS the point, you are already exuding hate, just on their name alone. It does not matter if someone is bad, or good. The fact of the matter is, they are human, and they are american, and have every right to believe and do as they please. And you have every right to hate them. 

But dont try to give it another name. It is hate. 

and C, What makes you think they are NOT. Even in this post, the hate is clear. 

I dont like the WBC. And i dont defend their behaveior, nor agree with it. 

But i dont make it a practice to hate someone based on one fact of their lives. 

Quoting turtle68:

A.  the chances of the WBC children being tainted by outside kids is next to zero.

B.  Is there anything good about WBC.

and C.

What makes you think the parents are teaching them to hate the WBC and not what they are distributing?  

Its not hate ....its teaching them right and wrong.  Judging people and hating them for who they are is wrong.  Being openminded and respectful of others is right.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

She is going to grow up 'knowing' that WBC and everyone associated with them, is bad/evil/wrong. 

that is hate. 

that is hating someone based on their affiliations. 

After this, if she made a friend at the park, and then found out they went to WBC, what would her raction be do you think? 

This is how prejudice starts. 

Quoting turtle68:

How?

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

As do i. 

Unfortunately, In my opinion, this is only teaching her hate. 

Quoting turtle68:

I do like the following quote

Quote:

Jayden represents the natural humanity we are born with. We come into this world compassionate, caring beings and only become hateful if we are taught to be

worwalkerlds
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Equality House just updated their facebook page claiming that she has raised over $17,000 as of now. :)
..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Again I ask, how is what this little girl is doing negative? She is not out there calling anyone names, not directing insults at WBC. It's really sad that you see what she's doing as ugly.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

when it comes to people and believers like WBC, i choose to ignore them rather than judge and hate them. 

And when someone else claims that they are trying to be GOOD, when in fact they are doing the very thing that they HATE about a group of people, that is not ok in my book. 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

It's REALLY unfortunate that you see this child and her family countering the WBC's negativity with something positive as hate. They aren't standing out thete with signs, calling names. They're selling lemonade and donating money to orphans. So hateful.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

B: that IS the point, you are already exuding hate, just on their name alone. It does not matter if someone is bad, or good. The fact of the matter is, they are human, and they are american, and have every right to believe and do as they please. And you have every right to hate them. 

Quoting turtle68:

A.  the chances of the WBC children being tainted by outside kids is next to zero.

and C.

What makes you think the parents are teaching them to hate the WBC and not what they are distributing?  

Its not hate ....its teaching them right and wrong.  Judging people and hating them for who they are is wrong.  Being openminded and respectful of others is right.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

She is going to grow up 'knowing' that WBC and everyone associated with them, is bad/evil/wrong. 

that is hate. 

After this, if she made a friend at the park, and then found out they went to WBC, what would her raction be do you think? 

Quoting turtle68:

How?

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

As do i. 

Quoting turtle68:

Quote:

Jayden represents the natural humanity we are born with. We come into this world compassionate, caring beings and only become hateful if we are taught to be

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM

And yet again, i say, NOT THE LITTLE GIRL. The ADULTS BEHIND HER know EXACTLY what they are doing. 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Again I ask, how is what this little girl is doing negative? She is not out there calling anyone names, not directing insults at WBC. It's really sad that you see what she's doing as ugly.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Quoting turtle68:

and C.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

that is hate. 

Quoting turtle68:

How?

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

As do i. 

Quoting turtle68:

Quote:

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM

The Adults behind her are not screaming profanities or turning this into anything they are supporting a young child trying to do a good thing... However WBC is turning this into something hateful and more then it should be in my opinion

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is what WBC is doing http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/18/westboro-baptist-church-responds-lemonade_n_3455642.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=4650927,b=facebook

The Westboro Baptist Church has responded to one little girl's campaign to raise money for peace the only way they seem to know how: with a homophobic jab.

Over the weekend, the story of Jayden Sink and her lemonade stand went viral online, with thousands of people sharing news of how a 5-year-old took on the Westboro Baptist Church.

As The Huffington Post previously reported, Jayden is the daughter of Jon Sink, founder of the philanthropic arts group FRESHCASSETTE - Creative Compassion. The two decided to sell lemonade outside the Equality House -- a rainbow-colored dwelling owned by nonprofit Planting Peace that campaigns for human rights, gay rights and anti-bullying efforts -- to raise money for peace and love Saturday.

The Equality House sits across the street from the Westboro Baptist Church's Topeka, Kan., compound, and the anti-gay, quasi-religious group was none too happy with Jayden's event. Members from the group apparently attempted to call the local police and later stooped to yelling profanities at lemonade drinkers.

On Monday, Westboro members took things to a new low when they posted an anti-gay message on their marquee, reading: "FAGS & ENABLERS ALL BURN IN HELL LEMONADE WON'T COOL ANY TONGUES."

A sign outside the Westboro Baptist Church compound. Story continues below. 
westboro baptist church responds

Davis Hammet, Director of Operations at Planting Peace, is not surprised Westboro rejected Jayden's message. The group's messages of hate have been directed at many more people than just Jayden. Just a few days ago, that same marquee had a message thanking God for killing the children in the Oklahoma tornado.

"We don’t hate the Westboro Baptist members, we pity them," he told The Huffington Post in an email correspondence Monday. "We see their hateful signs every day and they remind us how important it is to take a stand for equality and justice. The nasty things they say come from a very dark place. We truly pity them and are thrilled that many members are finding their way out of this hate group."

Of course, we all know who the real winner is. To date, Jayden has helped raise more than $16,000 for Planting Peace and the Equality House with an online campaignthrough Crowdrise. She plans to set up her stand outside the Equality House on more hot summer days in the future.

Planting Peace founder Aaaron Jackson wants everyone to remember this is a story about peace and not about retribution, he told HuffPost in a separate email Monday. Jayden simply sought to spread goodwill, something Westboro chooses not to do,

"I believe that Jayden's story of spreading love and peace by raising awareness and money by way of a little pink lemonade stand is why so many people have embraced the story and felt compelled to take part in the movement."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured