Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another Day, Another “Accidental” Child Shooting Death

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 185 Replies
3 moms liked this

Trenton Mathis didn’t have to die. His senseless death is a direct result of this country’s baffling indifference toward the basic principles of gun safety. As I’ve written before, “accidental” child shooting deaths are almost never truly accidental. They happen because parents and guardians keep their guns loaded and unattended in unsecured locations where children can easily get to them. Mathis’ great-grandmother told KLTV that her husband thought he had locked and closed the door to the room where he kept his handgun. He was wrong.

I understand—to a point—why you might want to store your gun on your nightstand while you’re sleeping. If a robber breaks into your house, you can’t defend yourself if your gun is locked up in a safe. But, come daylight, there is absolutely no reason to leave that gun on the nightstand as you putter around the house, especially if that house is full of children. If you can’t be bothered to take two minutes to unload your handgun and put it in a gun safe, then you shouldn’t own a gun.

These incidents happen with alarming frequency, and the frustrating thing is that they’re preventable. They can be reduced by stronger, more consistent child access prevention laws; by gun-safety education campaigns; by incentivizing gun owners to purchase gun safes and install trigger locks. It’s a point I’ve made before, and it’s one that I’ll continue to make as long as children continue to die.

Yesterday, I wrote about Saylor Slone Martine, a 15-year-old Oklahoma girl who, last weekend, was shot and killed when a semi-automatic handgun owned by her parents accidentally discharged, hitting her in the head. Today, I’m writing about Trenton Mathis. By the time Monday rolls around, I’m sure there’ll be another name to add to the list of kids who might still be alive today if the adults in their lives had simply been paying attention. Kids like these:

• Neengnco Chong, a two-year-old Minnesota boy who was accidentally shot and killed in December by his four-year-old brother, with a handgun his father stored next to a mattress;
  • Travin Varese, a two-year-old Louisiana boy who was accidentally shot and killed by his older brother in January;
  • Skyler Daniel Boring, a 17-year-old Tennessee boy who was accidentally shot and killed earlier this week in what was apparently a “war game” gone wrong;
  • Margaret “Maggie” Hollifield, a 10-year-old Virginia girl who was accidentally shot and killed at her home this month by an unnamed boy;
  • Kinsler Davis, a two-year-old Texas boy who accidentally shot and killed himself earlier this month with a handgun he found hidden in his father’s bedroom. “All the information indicates this was a tragic accident,” the local police chief told the press.

Tragic? Absolutely. But none of these shootings are accidents. Please keep emailing me, via the "Tips? Contact Us" button on the right-hand side of this page, whenever you see stories about “accidental” child shooting deaths. Attention must be paid

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM
9 moms liked this

So sad.

But... by all means. Let's avoid a rational discussion about gun control at all costs.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM
6 moms liked this

Quoting Momniscient:

So sad.

But... by all means. Let's avoid a rational discussion about gun control at all costs.

I agree that this is a very sad story. What kind of gun control do you believe would have stopped this from happening? The kind of control that takes hand guns out of ALL citizens hands? You can't screen for stupid or irresponsible, unfortunately.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Baffling indifference? These accidents do not happen because of indifference. They happen because of the lifestyle in which people forget they have their children in the back seat of their car and leave them in there to cook. It is not indifference; it is stress shock. We have this wonderful coping mechanism to help with stress and over stimulation in which people can shut out all but what they want to take in. It is responsible for distracted driving as well as so many accidents across this country. It is a part of our lifestyle. No amount of gun regulations or safety enforcement can defeat this. 

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stormcris:

Baffling indifference? These accidents do not happen because of indifference. They happen because of the lifestyle in which people forget they have their children in the back seat of their car and leave them in there to cook. It is not indifference; it is stress shock. We have this wonderful coping mechanism to help with stress and over stimulation in which people can shut out all but what they want to take in. It is responsible for distracted driving as well as so many accidents across this country. It is a part of our lifestyle. No amount of gun regulations or safety enforcement can defeat this. 

I agree with this, but I think in this case it was a situation of someone not used to having a small child in their home. If you are an adult living without children in your home, you don't think to put your weapon up and out of reach.

My daughter at (2 1/2-3) yrs old found a loaded handgun under my mothers bed that her fiance had purchased. Thankfully, I'd talked to her about gun safety and she knew to not touch it but to run and get an adult.

I see this as a tragic accident. To me this is not like the case of a parent not securing their weapon properly. That IS avoidable. IMO.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Lol sorry. i had to share. my first thought was 'a rational person wouldnt care if they didnt get guns'

(i know thats not true, just a chuckle i had for a moment) 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Momniscient:

So sad.

I agree that this is a very sad story. What kind of gun control do you believe would have stopped this from happening? The kind of control that takes hand guns out of ALL citizens hands? You can't screen for stupid or irresponsible, unfortunately.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM

:)

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Lol sorry. i had to share. my first thought was 'a rational person wouldnt care if they didnt get guns'

(i know thats not true, just a chuckle i had for a moment) 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Momniscient:

So sad.

Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM
3 moms liked this

Things like this happen because people don't teach gun safety to their children. Even if you don't own a gun in your house you should teach your child about them. There is no law that would stop these unfortunate events form happening. Only knowledge of safety would help but not stop.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Momniscient:

So sad.

Why does talk of gun control have to mean taking guns away from all citizens?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM
5 moms liked this

Should. And people who own guns should be responsible.

How about we start prosecuting the shit out of people who allow this to happen.

Buy a gun? Sure. A toddler kills something with your gun? Go to prison.

Quoting Rhiannon1980:

Things like this happen because people don't teach gun safety to their children. Even if you don't own a gun in your house you should teach your child about them. There is no law that would stop these unfortunate events form happening. Only knowledge of safety would help but not stop.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM

:(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)