Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man who put young vandals in closet faces charges

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 41 Replies

NY man who says 4 kids vandalized home is charged

CLYDE, N.Y. (AP) — A man who says he caught four boys vandalizing his father-in-law's home has been charged with child endangerment after corralling them in a closet until police arrived.

Jesse Daniels was arraigned on four counts of endangering the welfare of a child after authorities say he interrupted the vandalism at the empty home in the Wayne County village of Clyde, midway between Rochester and Syracuse.

Daniels, 53, told WHAM-TV in Rochester that he heard pounding coming from the home next door the night of June 8. The house is empty while Daniels renovates it for his father-in-law.

Daniels said he went to investigate while his wife called 911. He said he found four boys, ages 8 and 10, inside with hammers. He took a hammer from one, then stuck the boys in a closet until officers arrived, he said.

"I was fortunate that they were in that room that had a closet, so I put them in the closet," he said. "I said, 'Listen, you guys are staying here until the police come, period.'"

Their parents said Daniels handled the boys roughly and threatened them with the hammer.

The damage to the home included holes in the walls, broken windows and graffiti derogatory to women spray-painted on walls. Daniels estimated that the damage to his father-in-law's property exceeds $40,000.

He said he believed the boys committed the vandalism in retaliation for Daniels' wife telling them earlier in the day to stay off the couple's property.

The boys have been charged with burglary and criminal mischief. Their cases are being handled in Wayne County Family Court.

Paul Bowler, the father of two of the boys, told the station that there are no excuses for his sons' actions.

"I understand they were in the wrong, but there are other ways to handle it," he said. "He (Daniels) knew who the kids were. It's not like they were strangers. And send the kids home and call the cops then. You don't sit there and torment them and tell them you're going to bash their skulls in with a hammer."

Bowler said Daniels grabbed the neck of one of his sons and left a mark. He said that his boys are traumatized and that Daniels should have faced more charges.

Daniels counters that he was just trying to protect his family.

Daniels is due back in court later this month. It wasn't immediately clear if he has a lawyer.

Wayne County District Attorney Richard Healy told the station that the incident is still under investigation.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Um .... who is going to pay for the damages done by these teeny traumatized vandals??

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM
6 moms liked this

This ticks me off.

The little punks can do what they did but when some one tries to keep them at the scene of the crime until police arrive, he is made out to be the bad guy.

Send the kids home and then call the cops?  No.  I would not do that either.  

Seems the parents of the kids are not nearly as interested in what their children did as they should be.

If he did indeed man handle the boys the boys should consider themselves lucky they are not actual men.  You break in to some one's home you run the risk.  I just can't come up with a lot of sympathy for the kids.  

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM

they were in danger of what, exactly? 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM
3 moms liked this
Your damn right he handled them roughly and threatened them with a hammer! That's what happens when you get caught vandalizing a home.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Ill bet the home was insured.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Um .... who is going to pay for the damages done by these teeny traumatized vandals??

shamillionaire
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I agree. The parents sticking up for them sickens me. And I'm quite sure they will be right back at it.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

This ticks me off.

The little punks can do what they did but when some one tries to keep them at the scene of the crime until police arrive, he is made out to be the bad guy.

Send the kids home and then call the cops?  No.  I would not do that either.  

Seems the parents of the kids are not nearly as interested in what their children did as they should be.

If he did indeed man handle the boys the boys should consider themselves lucky they are not actual men.  You break in to some one's home you run the risk.  I just can't come up with a lot of sympathy for the kids.  

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Most likely ... so the little vandals get off scott free? I'd like to know why their parents left them out to roam unattended when they were obviously never taught the basics of right and wrong.

I know if this had been any of my boys, the very least bit of trauma they would have to deal with would be getting stuffed in a closet by an irate home-owner ~ and I'll add that at 8 - 10 years of age all three of my boys actually knew HOW to patch holes in walls, paint, wall-paper, etc. They knew those things because I was teaching them to be productive rather than letting them run amok destroying other people's property after breaking and entering.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Ill bet the home was insured.

Quoting Farmlady09:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I was caught vandalizing when I was about this age.  Me and a friend found a can of spraypaint and decided the local park toilets needed some decorating.

We were caught by some parents who manhandled us by the ear and marched us down to the local police station where my mortified parents came and got me.  Marched out by the ear, grounded and then we (friend and I ) had to repaint the toilets every weekend until finished. Parents had to buy the paint.

Suffice to say....didnt vandalize anything else after that LOL.

Regards to the OP....I want to vandalize the parents house and smack them around a little.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this
He put them in the closet to wait for the authorities. Big stinking deal. How about holding the kids responsible for the 40 THOUSAND dollars worth of damage to the home. The boys are traumatized?? They're criminals! What about the expense to this family??
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured