Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man who put young vandals in closet faces charges

NY man who says 4 kids vandalized home is charged

CLYDE, N.Y. (AP) — A man who says he caught four boys vandalizing his father-in-law's home has been charged with child endangerment after corralling them in a closet until police arrived.

Jesse Daniels was arraigned on four counts of endangering the welfare of a child after authorities say he interrupted the vandalism at the empty home in the Wayne County village of Clyde, midway between Rochester and Syracuse.

Daniels, 53, told WHAM-TV in Rochester that he heard pounding coming from the home next door the night of June 8. The house is empty while Daniels renovates it for his father-in-law.

Daniels said he went to investigate while his wife called 911. He said he found four boys, ages 8 and 10, inside with hammers. He took a hammer from one, then stuck the boys in a closet until officers arrived, he said.

"I was fortunate that they were in that room that had a closet, so I put them in the closet," he said. "I said, 'Listen, you guys are staying here until the police come, period.'"

Their parents said Daniels handled the boys roughly and threatened them with the hammer.

The damage to the home included holes in the walls, broken windows and graffiti derogatory to women spray-painted on walls. Daniels estimated that the damage to his father-in-law's property exceeds $40,000.

He said he believed the boys committed the vandalism in retaliation for Daniels' wife telling them earlier in the day to stay off the couple's property.

The boys have been charged with burglary and criminal mischief. Their cases are being handled in Wayne County Family Court.

Paul Bowler, the father of two of the boys, told the station that there are no excuses for his sons' actions.

"I understand they were in the wrong, but there are other ways to handle it," he said. "He (Daniels) knew who the kids were. It's not like they were strangers. And send the kids home and call the cops then. You don't sit there and torment them and tell them you're going to bash their skulls in with a hammer."

Bowler said Daniels grabbed the neck of one of his sons and left a mark. He said that his boys are traumatized and that Daniels should have faced more charges.

Daniels counters that he was just trying to protect his family.

Daniels is due back in court later this month. It wasn't immediately clear if he has a lawyer.

Wayne County District Attorney Richard Healy told the station that the incident is still under investigation.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
KGreen75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Those parents should be glad they don't live in a place where people shoot first and ask questions later. Instead of their little vandals being put safely in a closet, they could have been attending their funerals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:04 AM

This. I really don't have anything to add. I'm smh at the parents. No wonder the kids do things like that with those parents.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

This ticks me off.

The little punks can do what they did but when some one tries to keep them at the scene of the crime until police arrive, he is made out to be the bad guy.

Send the kids home and then call the cops?  No.  I would not do that either.  

Seems the parents of the kids are not nearly as interested in what their children did as they should be.

If he did indeed man handle the boys the boys should consider themselves lucky they are not actual men.  You break in to some one's home you run the risk.  I just can't come up with a lot of sympathy for the kids.  

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Bet they never vandalize again after this "traumatic" event
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM
4 moms liked this

If either of my kids were involved neither of them would want to leave the closet.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

If either of my kids were involved neither of them would want to leave the closet.

Exactly!

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Reminds me of the law if someone breaks into your house and gets hurt they can sue you. Or if you kill them while they are in your house you can be charged. I don't understand why the criminals have more rights than the victims.
jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:36 AM
WTF? So what they were put in a closet for a bit? They were committing a crime. I think each of the parents of the boys should have to pay the property owner $40,000. See how much they want to defend the little snowflakes then.
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Honestly if these punks were my children, they would want to go back into that closet after I was done with them!
meriana
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I really don't think the guy should be charged with anything. Putting those kids in a closet and waiting there with them until the police arrived didn't endanger them. (locking them in the closet and leaving would have endangered them but that's NOT what he did).  Of course the parents feel he should have sent them home and then called the police, that way the kids could have denied doing the damage and there would be no proof of their actions. Traumatised? More likely they've learned playing victim works well with their parents. Wonder how long it will be before these kids are in court on much more serious charges

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Corralling them wasn't the right way to handle the situation?  Would they prefer that he just shot them instead?

Why were kids that age not at HOME after dark? 

The little hoodlums had been there before and been told to leave...they come back and do $40,000 in damage....but it is the guy that caught them that is in big trouble.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured