Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Free at Last. Why a Democrat left the plantation.

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:35 AM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

Louisiana State Sen. Elbert Guillory, formerly a Democrat, recently — and enthusiastically — joined the Republican party.

Weeks after announcing his bold move, Guillory has released a video explaining why he is now with the GOP. The powerful video is titled, “Why I Am a Republican.”

In the video, Guillory says it is the Republican Party that actually has the best interests of the black community in mind. He argues Democrats relentlessly push an agenda intended to exert control over blacks, not lift them out of poverty.

“You see, in recent history, the Democrat party has created the illusion that their agenda and their policies are what’s best for black people,” Guillory said. “Somehow it has been forgotten that the Republican party was founded in 1854 as an abolitionist movement, with one simple creed: that slavery is a violation of the rights of man.”

The former Democrat explained that Frederick Douglass called Republicans the “party of freedom and progress.” He also pointed out that former Republican President Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation and Republicans in Congress wrote the Thirteenth, Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments.

“The Democrats, on the other hand, were the party of Jim Crow,” Guillory added. “It was the Democrats who defended the rights of slave owners.”

He went on: “You see, at the heart of liberalism, is the idea that only a great and powerful big Government can be the benefactor of social justice for all Americans. But the left is only concerned with one thing: control. And they disguise this control as charity.”

Minnow Slayer

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol, freedom and progress ? The word progress is most hated by conservatives. The guy doesn't know history either. Lincoln freed slaves for economic and political reasons, not out of the kindness of his heart. He saw slaves as a neat,handy asset.
Progress is part of the progressive Democrat philosophy. Republicans want to remain in the past, seeing Communists around every corner ,making personal choices illegal and keeping Big Oil and corporations controlling America.
This guy is naive and misinformed.
Sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM
4 moms liked this

I think you are, in your belief that progressivism=progress.  The guy knows what he is talking about.  And if you do not think Lincoln was against slavery you should read the Lincoln-Douglas debates.

Quoting lga1965:

Lol, freedom and progress ? The word progress is most hated by conservatives. The guy doesn't know history either. Lincoln freed slaves for economic and political reasons, not out of the kindness of his heart. He saw slaves as a neat,handy asset.
Progress is part of the progressive Democrat philosophy. Republicans want to remain in the past, seeing Communists around every corner ,making personal choices illegal and keeping Big Oil and corporations controlling America.
Sorry.

Minnow Slayer

DieselsMom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, but you are wrong...

Quoting Carpy:

I think you are, in your belief that progressivism=progress.  The guy knows what he is talking about.  And if you do not think Lincoln was against slavery you should read the Lincoln-Douglas debates.

Quoting lga1965:

Sorry.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:04 AM
3 moms liked this

No need to be sorry, because I am not wrong.

Quoting DieselsMom:

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting lga1965:

Sorry.

Minnow Slayer

DieselsMom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Just because he said "they shouldn't be slaves" doesn't mean he thought they should be EQUAL..he was very verbal in saying that they shouldn't have the right to vote, etc....when he issued the military report, it was strictly political....

Quoting Carpy:

No need to be sorry, because I am not wrong.

Quoting DieselsMom:

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting lga1965:

Sorry.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel like the party he is talking about then and the one he is talking about now are two different parties. The Republican Party in ideals and actual actions and how they represent themselves has shifted in a major way. Yes they were a party that Fredrick Douglas could relate to but now they aren't that party. I say this as a independent because people always assume. Black women... Must be a democrat
SuperChicken
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I think the two parties are so similar that switching sides is a meaningless gesture.   

lga1965
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Progress, progressive and progressivism are related. The same thing. You guys just don't get it.
Quoting Carpy:

Quoting lga1965:

Sorry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SherryBerry106
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:33 AM
4 moms liked this

Explain it to us.

Quoting lga1965:

Progressive and progressivism are related. The same thing. You guys just don't get it.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting lga1965:

Sorry.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Did you make up that title?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)