Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lil' Wayne disgrace

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 104 Replies

aliciahmcclain23 via YouTube

“Didn’t think I could like this dude less,” one Twitter user wrote of Lil Wayne.

Take Our Poll
What should Lil Wayne do after the flag-walking flap?

Political protest or accidental flag faux pas?

Filming for Lil Wayne’s “God Bless Amerika” music video in New Orleans is under scrutiny after a clip of his performance shows an oversized American flag drop to the street before Wayne tramples Old Glory as he raps.

RELATED: PEPSICO CUTS TIES WITH LIL WAYNE OVER OFFENSIVE EMMITT TILL LYRIC

Lil Wayne rapping in front of the flag before it’s dropped to the street below. The clip has drawn outrage from some.

Lil Wayne rapping in front of the flag before it’s dropped to the street below. The clip has drawn outrage from some.

It may have been overlooked, if not for the incendiary lyrics in the song:

“My country ‘tis of thee/ sweet land of kill ‘em all and let ‘em die/ God bless Amerika/ This so godless Amerika … the stars on the flag are never shining,” the song, off this year’s “I Am Not a Human Being II,” goes.

RELATED: PEPSICO CUTS TIES WITH LIL WAYNE OVER OFFENSIVE EMMITT TILL LYRIC

“It is the American flag that is draped across the coffins of our fallen heroes when they come back from war. In fact, any veteran can have a flag on their coffin. As such, it’s entitled to the highest respect,” said John Raughter, an American Legion spokesman.

“It is the American flag that is draped across the coffins of our fallen heroes when they come back from war. In fact, any veteran can have a flag on their coffin. As such, it’s entitled to the highest respect,” said John Raughter, an American Legion spokesman.

The one-minute clip shows Weezy, 30, singing in front of the huge red, white and blue flag before it’s let go onto the Hollygrove, New Orleans, street. The drop reveals a group of people standing behind Wayne as he continues to rap, stepping all over the flag as he dances and moves in his hometown.

“All Americans should treat (the flag) with respect,” said John Raughter, an American Legion spokesman speaking generally about the flag and who admitted he had yet to see the clip. “It is the American flag that is draped across the coffins of our fallen heroes when they come back from war. In fact, any veteran can have a flag on their coffin. As such, it’s entitled to the highest respect.”

RELATED: LIL WAYNE ON HIS SEIZURES: ‘I DON’T FEEL SICK’

“WHAT A DISGRACE!” a commenter wrote online.

“WHAT A DISGRACE!” a commenter wrote online.

Desecration of the American flag is protected by the First Amendment so there’s no chance Wayne would face charges for stepping on the Stars and Stripes.

But posted this weekend, just days after the June 14 Flag Day holiday, the video has since gone viral and prompted mostly outrage.

RELATED: NICKI MINAJ GIVES LIL WAYNE A ‘TWERK’ FILLED LAP DANCE

Lil Wayne sings, “My country ‘tis of thee/ sweet land of kill ‘em all and let ‘em die/ God bless Amerika.”

Lil Wayne sings, “My country ‘tis of thee/ sweet land of kill ‘em all and let ‘em die/ God bless Amerika.”

“Didn’t think I could like this dude less,” one Twitter user wrote.

“WHAT A DISGRACE!” another commenter wrote online.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/watch-lil-wayne-stomps-american-flag-filming-new-music-video-article-1.1375195#ixzz2WZT6obFf

Minnow Slayer

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM
15 moms liked this

I find the lyrics more offensive then stepping on a piece of cloth. Accidentally or not. The man raps about some really crazy horrible and violent shit. Especially violence towards women and homophobic crap. Of the violent shit he says, this is what people get all bent out of shape about? 

I've never been one for power in objects and I've never been into symbolism in objects. I get that the flag means a lot to a lot of people, but it doesn't mean much to me. Never has. I see it very much the same as religious objects. They are objects and we humans give them meaning. I personally don't give it meaning. 

He's an ass and a tool. He should apologize for being an asshole. Not accidentally (or maybe on purpose, I don't know) stepping on the American flag. 

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Ugh, although I am not a fan, I say let it be. He's such a, nevermind, I'm trying to be nicer.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM
5 moms liked this

Regardless of the flag incident...which should draw outrage.......why would anyone buy his junk?

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM
4 moms liked this

I think he is aweful all the way around.  But yes, I find this video very offensive.  My dad was a WWII vet and that flag that was draped over his coffin is on display in the flag holder at my mothers house.  He is stomping on my dad and all others who have defended what that flag represents.  It is more than just a piece of cloth.

Quoting mehamil1:

I find the lyrics more offensive then stepping on a piece of cloth. Accidentally or not. The man raps about some really crazy horrible and violent shit. Especially violence towards women and homophobic crap. Of the violent shit he says, this is what people get all bent out of shape about? 

I've never been one for power in objects and I've never been into symbolism in objects. I get that the flag means a lot to a lot of people, but it doesn't mean much to me. Never has. I see it very much the same as religious objects. They are objects and we humans give them meaning. I personally don't give it meaning. 

He's an ass and a tool. He should apologize for being an asshole. Not accidentally (or maybe on purpose, I don't know) stepping on the American flag. 

Minnow Slayer

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM
8 moms liked this

Lil Wayne is a perfect example to use when I say I struggle, on occasion, with free speech. I recognize his right but I really wish he would shut up.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM
3 moms liked this
Honestly I was more outraged at his Emmett till comment then him stomping on the flag. In the end he is a no talent rapper and he isn't the first artist to do something messed up to the flag and he isn't the last.
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

It is NOT just a piece of cloth

Quoting mehamil1:

Kaydence2010
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Between him and Kanye West, they are portraying the music industry horribly. Neither are good musicians musiciansand both have overall overall crappy attitudes and think the sun shines out of their asses.
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

The flag is manufactured from a piece of cloth but the symbolism and meaning goes far beyond the cloth itself. 

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand that to many people it's more than a piece of cloth. I still have the flag that was given to my mother at my grandfathers funeral. I get that it has meaning to many people and what he did was offensive to them. 

I think this is a personality thing with me. I get that people care about objects and give meaning to it and I personally would never fuck around with stuff like that. He's a tool for doing so. But I am not offended by that action. Everything about him is pretty disgusting though. 

Quoting Carpy:

I think he is aweful all the way around.  But yes, I find this video very offensive.  My dad was a WWII vet and that flag that was draped over his coffin is on display in the flag holder at my mothers house.  He is stomping on my dad and all others who have defended what that flag represents.  It is more than just a piece of cloth.

Quoting mehamil1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)