Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

aliciahmcclain23 via YouTube

“Didn’t think I could like this dude less,” one Twitter user wrote of Lil Wayne.

Take Our Poll
What should Lil Wayne do after the flag-walking flap?

Political protest or accidental flag faux pas?

Filming for Lil Wayne’s “God Bless Amerika” music video in New Orleans is under scrutiny after a clip of his performance shows an oversized American flag drop to the street before Wayne tramples Old Glory as he raps.

RELATED: PEPSICO CUTS TIES WITH LIL WAYNE OVER OFFENSIVE EMMITT TILL LYRIC

Lil Wayne rapping in front of the flag before it’s dropped to the street below. The clip has drawn outrage from some.

Lil Wayne rapping in front of the flag before it’s dropped to the street below. The clip has drawn outrage from some.

It may have been overlooked, if not for the incendiary lyrics in the song:

“My country ‘tis of thee/ sweet land of kill ‘em all and let ‘em die/ God bless Amerika/ This so godless Amerika … the stars on the flag are never shining,” the song, off this year’s “I Am Not a Human Being II,” goes.

RELATED: PEPSICO CUTS TIES WITH LIL WAYNE OVER OFFENSIVE EMMITT TILL LYRIC

“It is the American flag that is draped across the coffins of our fallen heroes when they come back from war. In fact, any veteran can have a flag on their coffin. As such, it’s entitled to the highest respect,” said John Raughter, an American Legion spokesman.

“It is the American flag that is draped across the coffins of our fallen heroes when they come back from war. In fact, any veteran can have a flag on their coffin. As such, it’s entitled to the highest respect,” said John Raughter, an American Legion spokesman.

The one-minute clip shows Weezy, 30, singing in front of the huge red, white and blue flag before it’s let go onto the Hollygrove, New Orleans, street. The drop reveals a group of people standing behind Wayne as he continues to rap, stepping all over the flag as he dances and moves in his hometown.

“All Americans should treat (the flag) with respect,” said John Raughter, an American Legion spokesman speaking generally about the flag and who admitted he had yet to see the clip. “It is the American flag that is draped across the coffins of our fallen heroes when they come back from war. In fact, any veteran can have a flag on their coffin. As such, it’s entitled to the highest respect.”

RELATED: LIL WAYNE ON HIS SEIZURES: ‘I DON’T FEEL SICK’

“WHAT A DISGRACE!” a commenter wrote online.

“WHAT A DISGRACE!” a commenter wrote online.

Desecration of the American flag is protected by the First Amendment so there’s no chance Wayne would face charges for stepping on the Stars and Stripes.

But posted this weekend, just days after the June 14 Flag Day holiday, the video has since gone viral and prompted mostly outrage.

RELATED: NICKI MINAJ GIVES LIL WAYNE A ‘TWERK’ FILLED LAP DANCE

Lil Wayne sings, “My country ‘tis of thee/ sweet land of kill ‘em all and let ‘em die/ God bless Amerika.”

Lil Wayne sings, “My country ‘tis of thee/ sweet land of kill ‘em all and let ‘em die/ God bless Amerika.”

“Didn’t think I could like this dude less,” one Twitter user wrote.

“WHAT A DISGRACE!” another commenter wrote online.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/watch-lil-wayne-stomps-american-flag-filming-new-music-video-article-1.1375195#ixzz2WZT6obFf

Minnow Slayer

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I get that it's more than a piece of cloth to you. I thought I was clear about that. 

To me, personally, it's a piece of cloth. There are so many flags in this world, history is chock full of them. It's a symbol of a nation/state/people. I get it. But I don't identify with objects. To me, "holy" books are ink and paper. They have no more meaning than that. They are books. Nothing more. At least to me. Flags, any flag, is a piece of cloth. 

I have never been able to care about objects that are more or less symbols. It's a personality think or something. I get that you care about it. Because people care about it I would never fuck around with them. I'm not an asshole like that. 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

It is NOT just a piece of cloth

Quoting mehamil1:

I find the lyrics more offensive then stepping on a piece of cloth. Accidentally or not. The man raps about some really crazy horrible and violent shit. Especially violence towards women and homophobic crap. Of the violent shit he says, this is what people get all bent out of shape about? 

I've never been one for power in objects and I've never been into symbolism in objects. I get that the flag means a lot to a lot of people, but it doesn't mean much to me. Never has. I see it very much the same as religious objects. They are objects and we humans give them meaning. I personally don't give it meaning. 

He's an ass and a tool. He should apologize for being an asshole. Not accidentally (or maybe on purpose, I don't know) stepping on the American flag. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes it is awful and thanks to people giving this attention....it is working for him.

prommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Can I ask the people who say it's just a piece of cloth, would you be upset if he stomped on a picture of your child? It's only a piece of paper. Not being snarky, I really want to know.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I understand your point regarding the flag. The thing about symbolism is it invokes an emotion in people but not necessarily the same emotion. The Star of David means something to me but probably not the same as it does for you. It also appears, in this circumstance, it was an accidental thing and Lil Wayne just went with it. I still would like to grab Lil Wayne by the scruff of the neck and teach him a lesson or two about respect. 

Quoting mehamil1:

I get that it's more than a piece of cloth to you. I thought I was clear about that. 

To me, personally, it's a piece of cloth. There are so many flags in this world, history is chock full of them. It's a symbol of a nation/state/people. I get it. But I don't identify with objects. To me, "holy" books are ink and paper. They have no more meaning than that. They are books. Nothing more. At least to me. Flags, any flag, is a piece of cloth. 

I have never been able to care about objects that are more or less symbols. It's a personality think or something. I get that you care about it. Because people care about it I would never fuck around with them. I'm not an asshole like that. 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting mehamil1:

I find the lyrics more offensive then stepping on a piece of cloth. Accidentally or not. The man raps about some really crazy horrible and violent shit. Especially violence towards women and homophobic crap. Of the violent shit he says, this is what people get all bent out of shape about? 

I've never been one for power in objects and I've never been into symbolism in objects. I get that the flag means a lot to a lot of people, but it doesn't mean much to me. Never has. I see it very much the same as religious objects. They are objects and we humans give them meaning. I personally don't give it meaning. 

He's an ass and a tool. He should apologize for being an asshole. Not accidentally (or maybe on purpose, I don't know) stepping on the American flag. 

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I think people like him are easily used by a corporation that wants to sell stereotypical shit to further a cultural narrative and he's participating in his own oppression. Whether he's aware of it or not, I have no idea. 

Such a fucking tool. 

And yeah, the star of David doesn't mean much to me. It's a symbol. I grew up with the cross and crucifix. Never meant anything to me even as a child. I never really understood why people knelt to it. To me it was a big piece of wood with a sad man on it. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I understand your point regarding the flag. The thing about symbolism is it invokes an emotion in people but not necessarily the same emotion. The Star of David means something to me but probably not the same as it does for you. It also appears, in this circumstance, it was an accidental thing and Lil Wayne just went with it. I still would like to grab Lil Wayne by the scruff of the neck and teach him a lesson or two about respect. 

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting mehamil1:

LuvmyAiden
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

WHY do parents let thier kids listen to assholes like this? I am NOT someone who uses the N word, ever, but he is one of the few who I think it could apply to. You wanna act a certain way you need to be prepared for the consequences of those actions.

viv212
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM
He raps about violence on women?
Half the time Lil Wayne's lyrics just don't make sense at all. I think he sometimes just strings words together that rhyme.

Quoting mehamil1:

viv212
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Hey hey hey leave Mr. West out of this. I think that guy is one of the best rappers.

Quoting Kaydence2010:

Between him and Kanye West, they are portraying the music industry horribly. Neither are good musicians musiciansand both have overall overall crappy attitudes and think the sun shines out of their asses.
disnchntdwife
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM

This exactly...and I will add that one of the things that bother me the most about these images is all the really young, impressionable kids in them. So sad!

Quoting mehamil1:

Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

A flag is definitely MORE than a mere piece of fabric for any country.

He is being disrespectful by dancing on the American flag.

Then again, when is Lil' Wayne EVER respectful about anything?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN