Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

No Child Left Behind Leaves Many Behind

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM
  • 21 Replies
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Yes, it is a testimonial of sorts.  But these are the people we should be listening to -- the students themselves.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Great article with great points.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

The problem with mass education is that not a single, individual child is a 'mass' to be educated.

bluerooffarm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Great article.  I think many adults do not realize what is happening in the schools today.  They like to think back to what it was like when they were children.  I was shocked when I found out my old school has eliminated music and art classes from 1st through 4th grade, reduced its electives, and dropped gym down to 1 day/week!  Yikes!

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Great article.  I think many adults do not realize what is happening in the schools today.  They like to think back to what it was like when they were children.  I was shocked when I found out my old school has eliminated music and art classes from 1st through 4th grade, reduced its electives, and dropped gym down to 1 day/week!  Yikes!

I don't understand how anyone can not know what is happening in their own child's school.

bluerooffarm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I don't understand how anyone can not know what is happening in their own child's school.

You would be surprised.  Some of the parents I knew thought that school was their child's "job" and they never helped them with homework or studying, never volunteered, never came to back-to-school night, just never bothered with the school at all.  I've seen it while I was teaching in the public school and when my own child went to public school for nearly 2 years. 

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

You would be surprised.  Some of the parents I knew thought that school was their child's "job" and they never helped them with homework or studying, never volunteered, never came to back-to-school night, just never bothered with the school at all.  I've seen it while I was teaching in the public school and when my own child went to public school for nearly 2 years. 

I'm not surprised that some people don't take their parental responsibilities seriously.

I can't imagine being such a person.

And I can't imagine living somewhere that the schools aren't great.  Seriously, I would move.

Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
My son isn't anywhere near school age yet, but I'm afraid his school will be like this. Is this all over the country or just in select districts? We're failing so miserably it seems.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm not surprised that some people don't take their parental responsibilities seriously.

And I can't imagine living somewhere that the schools aren't great.  Seriously, I would move.

At first I tried to fix the school, but I gave up.  I'm a happy homeschooler now.  LOL!

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

At first I tried to fix the school, but I gave up.  I'm a happy homeschooler now.  LOL!

Our district's motto is "Excellence in Academics, Athletics and the Arts."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)