Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Sopranos' Star James Gandolfini Dies at 51

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

James Gandolfini - P 2012
Getty Images
James Gandolfini

James Gandolfini, who made his mark on television history as the troubled crime boss on HBO’s smash drama The Sopranos, has died. He was 51.

PHOTOS: Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2013

Gandolfini died Wednesday of a reported heart attack in Italy, according to published reports. He was overseas to attend the 59th Taormina Film Festival in Sicily -- and he was scheduled to participate in a festival event this weekend with Italian director Gabriele Muccino.

The stocky Gandolfini played New Jersey mafia boss Tony Soprano for six seasons from 1999-2007, winning three Emmy nominations for best actor in a drama in consecutive years (out of six nominations total). The show was a linchpin of the premium cable network.

Gandolfini also has appeared in such films as the remake of The Man Who Wasn’t There (2001), The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (2009), Welcome to the Rileys (2010), Killing Them Softly (2012), Not Fade Away (2012), Zero Dark Thirty (2012) and this year’s The Incredible Burt Wonderstone.

Before The Sopranos, Gandolfini appeared in such films, often as a heavy, in Get Shorty (1995), Mr. Wonderful (1993), Terminal Velocity (1994), Crimson Tide (1995), Night Falls on Manhattan (1996), She’s So Lovely (1997) and The Mighty (1998).

Gandolfini, an Italian-American, was born in Westwood, N.J.. His father a bricklayer and later the head custodian at Paramus (N.J.) Catholic High School, and his mother served lunches at the school. Italian was spoken in their home.

Gandolfini graduated from Park Ridge High School in 1979 and earned a BA at Rutgers University, where he worked as a bouncer at an on-campus pub.

More to come …

LINK

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I loved that show. How sad:( He was really young.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Sad.
fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Holy shit.  That's awful!

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

How sad

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM
That sucks. He was very talented
DestinyRoseLC
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM
So sad :-(
Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Incredibly sad. :( Such a great actor and a tremendous loss for movies and television.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Hmmmm....sad, yes. But what's even more sad is why? Why so young? Why with all the money that can buy him the best medical care, would he have died? On GMA Dr. Richard Bessler was addressing the same question. The autopsy will reveal much, if the full results are ever even divulged. We will see I guess.
PestPatti
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:53 PM

It is, but heart disease is a tricky animal.  1 week ago, I was admitted to the hospital through the ER.   Chest pains, very scary and very painful.  

I have been reading quite a bit about heart disease, and other related topics.   AFter all my testing last week, they told me things looked good, with no blockages.  Makes you wonder.. I am 51

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM
:(  NOOOO..  I was beyond sad to hear this!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)