Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Two Saudi women have been found guilty on a Sharia law charge of incitement of a wife to defy the authority of her husband.

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM
  • 72 Replies

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/06/18/saudi_women_jailed_for_trying_to_help_a_canadian.html

Nathalie Morin is a Canadian woman who fell in love with a Saudi Arabian man.

She moved halfway around the world to live with him — after he was deported from Quebec for being in this country illegally.

That was her mistake.

The couple has three children, one of whom was born in Canada. Whether they were ever actually married is unclear, as is so much about the saga that has been designated a “private family matter” by Foreign Affairs. Morin’s mother, Johanne Durocher, has for years been pleading with Ottawa to bring Morin and the kids to Canada, alleging her daughter is a victim of domestic violence, abuse and rape by her husband, was denied adequate food, and was being kept in the Kingdom against her will.

This much is not in dispute: Two Saudi women who attempted to help Morin were sentenced on Saturday to 10 months in prison. They were found guilty on a Sharia law charge of takhbib — incitement of a wife to defy the authority of her husband.

Saudi Arabia is ruthlessly misogynist in culture and law. Among other proscriptions, women are not allowed to drive. Until recently, they weren’t even permitted to ride a bicycle. Equality Now, a global organization that advocates for the human rights of women and girls around the world, notes of the change in law that now allows females to get on a bike: “Women have recently been allowed to cycle as long as it is in a circle, with a male guardian and with no specific destination in mind.”

The article is quite long - read more at the link

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM
3 moms liked this

It's insane to me that the "sharia law" that is imposed upon the citizens of Saudi Arabia is in no way actual Sharia Law. There is no command for a wife to obey her husband. She is commanded to only obey God and that's it. Not her husband. 

These people are fucking assholes. Damn. 

PeeperSqueak5
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM
3 moms liked this

And to think some actually want Sharia law here in America. SMH.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM
4 moms liked this

Who the FUCK whats that? Who? Also, this isn't sharia law. This is assholes acting like assholes. There is no law in Sharia that says a wife has to obey her husband. 

Quoting PeeperSqueak5:

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Is there some kind of official sharia law? If so who is defined as the moral authority regarding sharia law?
Quoting mehamil1:

It's insane to me that the "sharia law" that is imposed upon the citizens of Saudi Arabia is in no way actual Sharia Law. There is no command for a wife to obey her husband. She is commanded to only obey God and that's it. Not her husband. 

SuperChicken
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM
4 moms liked this

What interests me is that religion is again used to "justify" the oppression of women.  It's always the oppression of women.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Since I am not an Islamic scholar, I have no idea. But I do know there is no command for a wife to obey her husband in Sharia Law. There is one in Christianity though! But to be fair that same verse also commands the husband as well. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:
Is there some kind of official sharia law? If so who is defined as the moral authority regarding sharia law?
Quoting mehamil1:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting PeeperSqueak5:

Sharia law only affects Muslims and they are still bound by the US laws. If it is illegal, it is illegal and no religious law can trump that.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SuperChicken:

What interests me is that religion is again used to "justify" the oppression of women.  It's always the oppression of women.

Fundamental Christians also use Biblical text to oppress women. It's sad really.

PeeperSqueak5
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM
4 moms liked this

It does say in the Bible for wives to submit to their husband AND for husbands to submit to Christ.  Both to submit as to the Lord.  That doesn't mean a wife is to be a door mat and her husband is not to treat her as such.  If he does.....he is not submitting as to the Lord.

Many get really confused with that scripture.  You just have to continue reading a few verses after.

Quoting mehamil1:

Since I am not an Islamic scholar, I have no idea. But I do know there is no command for a wife to obey her husband in Sharia Law. There is one in Christianity though! But to be fair that same verse also commands the husband as well. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:
Quoting mehamil1:

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM

And how do you know there is no such law?  

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting 12hellokitty:
Quoting mehamil1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)