Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the point..?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 7 Replies

What's the point of debating with someone when you know full well that they won't change their views? Such as the abortion debate, I feel very strongly for one side and I'll get all heated up for nothing. I believe all our views basically came from our parents and outside influences. And once were at a certain point our opinions are set and most likely not going to change. I hope this makes sense lol What are your thoughts??

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

The purpose of debating is to debate. All of our views did not come from our parents though. Not everyone's opinion is set and new information comes in everyday...if I had debated a year ago that the NSA was spying I would have been labeled with the tinfoil hat. Now it is national news. ( I may very well have actually debated that)

prommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Debating is a kind word for what happens on CM.

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM
4 moms liked this

Sometimes you can learn something new through debate.

Sometimes you can share knowledge you have through debate.

Sometimes debating helps crystalize your own thoughts and makes you better understand why you feel as you do.

Sometimes it helps the other person to do those things.

Sometimes you can change your mind in some way, or change someone else's (I have had this happen on both sides of the fence).

And.....it is mental exercise to debate.

Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Because many people like to argue their points. Period. Repetitiously and the more heated the debate, the more they argue.

I don't agree that all of our views come from our parents, however. I do find myself to be on the opposite side of many debates with my Mom.

If an individual possesses an open mind, there may be certain topics that they'll be willing to at least consider that other side and perhaps even change their mind.

Too, getting older can often give an individual a different point-of-view and from simply living as well as experiencing first-hand, something they had thought they would never live through.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Someone may not change their views, but you can see the other's side, and learn different things, and at least understand and respect where they are coming from.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
momtoscott
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM

It's helpful to know how other people think, first.  Second, this is a public forum, debates are for all the readers and not just between a couple of posters.  You never know who might be convinced by your argument.   If you stay out of the debate, though, you have zero chance of changing someone's mind.    

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I like hearing about experiences and perspectives other than my own. It might not change my personal opinion but understand the people around me makes me a better person and it makes my better able to serve my community.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured