Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Reality TV Star And Eldest Son Of “19 Kids And Counting” To Lead Anti-Gay Hate Group

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM
  • 119 Replies

Reality TV Star And Eldest Son Of “19 Kids And Counting” To Lead Anti-Gay Hate Group

by DAVID BADASH on JUNE 18, 2013

Post image for Reality TV Star And Eldest Son Of “19 Kids And Counting” To Lead Anti-Gay Hate Group

Josh Duggar, the eldest son of TLC’s “19 Kids And Counting” is moving to Washington, D.C. to head the political action arm of Tony Perkins’ anti-gay hate group, FRC Action. The Family Research Council is listed by the Southern Poverty Law Center as an anti-gay hate group. The eldest Duggar sibling and his wife, Anna, just celebrated the birth of their third child.

Teasing the announcement, Perkins said, ”We want to congratulate Josh and Anna Duggar on the birth of Marcus. They have been an inspiration to millions of Americans who regularly tune in to see the Duggar family’s show. All of us at Family Research Council have long appreciated their devotion to the pro-family movement.”

Josh Duggar talked about the possibility back in March. ”Josh confirmed that he will be working with a Christian organization to help promote ‘family values and right to life.’”

Excited to announce I'll be joining @FRCAction as Executive Director in Washington, DC! So grateful for this opportunity to serve! @FRCdc

GLAAD weighed in yesterday:

Duggar said that he will be working on the 501c4 side of the organization, which is more politically driven. He can’t even claim he’s just going to shape the culture.

Now that Josh Duggar has accepted a position at such an anti-gay organization, he has become a full-fledged anti-gay activist. What does this mean for TLC’s 19 Kids and Counting? Will TLC allow it to become a mainstream outlet for FRC’s dangerous message? What about the Duggar family’s appearances in other media? Will his work with one of the most vile anti-gay organizations in America be legitimized there?

“If Josh Duggar wants to make a living dehumanizing and denigrating LGBT people and their families, that’s his business, but FRC’s lies and stereotypes need to be treated as such,” said GLAAD Spokesperson Wilson Cruz. “Josh’s new boss Tony Perkins has actually accused LGBT equality advocates of being pawns of the devil.  Fans of his family’s reality show ought to know that.”

Josh Duggar is clearly enamored with the Tea Party and the rabidly anti-gay right. A quick glance through his Facebook photos shows him arm in arm with Republican extremists Rick Santorum and Rand Paul.

duggar

Jeremy Hooper at Good As You adds:

But don’t even try, TLC network, to position Josh’s story as something that should warm the fires within my own heart and home. That ship has sailed. This TLC star is going to be paid to spearhead a quest that seeks to diminish, if not completely extinguish, all that I hold dear within my own marriage, family, and home. Forget carefully edited reality TV—for me and millions of others, this crap just got really real. For real.

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caito
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM
12 moms liked this

I'm not surprised. He seems like a super douche.

Aestas
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
3 moms liked this

Oh, nice. Wonder what the other Duggar boys will be doing with their lives (since we already know what the girls will be expected to do)?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM
15 moms liked this

Well, I've always thought the Duggars were opportunists. It doesn't surprise me to see one of their children exploit his name to exploit his religious ideas.

It's too bad he's working to spread hate when he could use his name to do good.

teri4lance
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:24 AM
25 moms liked this

ironically, with 19 kids, the statistical chances that at least one of them is gay is pretty high.

alf2651
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not surprised at all.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM
7 moms liked this

He's a pig.  But remember, they are not a Quiverful family, so we can't blame this on that religious movement!  This is simply the Duggar family perspective, biggots for god & money.

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm not surprised. The family endorsed that loon Rick Santorum during the primaries.
joyfree
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:36 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Aestas:

Oh, nice. Wonder what the other Duggar boys will be doing with their lives (since we already know what the girls will be expected to do)?

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM
8 moms liked this

So will this be part of the show?

A job in exchange for TV time and publicity?

This kid is a 25 yo father of 3 who was educated by his mother- a woman who was married at 17. Einstein he is not.

joyfree
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN