Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

TN students say assignment forced them to support gay rights

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM
  • 207 Replies

COLUMBIA, TN (WSMV) -

Some students at a Maury County college claim a psychology professor told them it's her job "to educate the ignorant and uneducated elements of society" and to correct "hateful and closed-minded views" concerning homosexuality.

MORE

The Columbia State Community College students say professor Dr. Linda Brunton gave them an assignment where they had to say they supported gay rights even if they didn't.

Word then quickly spread across campus.

"When you try to force these students to take the same side as you on a subject such as homosexually, that's a sensitive subject to some people," said Columbia State student Andrew Grayson.

Several students contacted the Alliance Defending Freedom, claiming the professor instructed the class to wear Rainbow Coalition ribbons for a day, and if someone asked why they were wearing it, they were to say they were supporting the homosexual community and its political agenda.

After that, the students were to write a paper describing how they faced discrimination because of their support of gay rights. The students said if they fail to complete the assignment, they wouldn't receive class credit.

"I think it's important to discuss both sides of the issue when you taking a class and learning about subjects," said Columbia State student Trey Yadon.

The group sent a four-page letter to Columbia State President Dr. Janet Smith, stating the students' First Amendment rights to free speech were violated and their opinions or beliefs were brushed off by the professor.

The letter also states the professor wanted students to see that those who support the traditional definition of marriage are just "uneducated bigots" who "attack homosexuals with hate."

"I think if you are trying to push your views on students, that's a little bit much. It's up to you make your own decision," Yadon said.

The professor is not teaching classes during the current summer term, but her support of gay rights is openly displayed on her office door.

In a statement regarding the allegations, school officials said:

"When the allegations were brought to the attention of college officials, Columbia State Community College began an investigation, which is currently ongoing and congruent with board policy and applicable laws."

Collegevue Church of Christ sits across the street from campus and has changed its marquee sign condemning the professor's alleged actions.

"We are going to base our opinion upon what we believe the word of God teaches. We believe it condemns homosexuality, and therefore we have to take that moral stance," said the Rev. Gregg Gwin.

The students have also asked the school's president to take immediate action by ordering the professor to apologize to any students who feel their rights were violated. And they want the professor to be disciplined.

Channel 4 News tried to contact Brunton several times for comment, but our efforts were unsuccessful.

To view the full statement from the Columbia State Community College students, visit: http://www.adfmedia.org/files/CSCCLetter.pdf.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

source

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parentalrights1
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM
7 moms liked this
School should be teaching morals

If you want to raise bigots and morons then homeschool
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM
3 moms liked this

One good thing about the gays, less abortions.

Did Obama mandate the assignment?

Was there also a simultaneous decree to begin the war on Christmas in June?

Just wanted to see how strong that tingle up your leg is at this point.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM
8 moms liked this

That paper can be written despite the lack of support for gay rights...it is called research.

The individual religious views do not apply to this.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM
4 moms liked this

There's no reason to respond to this other than I am in serious procrastination mode today and therefore putting off things that I really should be doing.

I don't know the details of the above event.  I just skimmed because there's no reason to know the details.

Its very simple: you believe that homosexuality is a sin, I am guessing based on some man written passages in the bible, not God "him"self. Why would God condemn one of his (I hate referring to God as a male or any gender but I know its what you are comfortable with and since I was raised Catholic, a hard habit to break) children, something HE created?? You believe homosexuality is a choice when the vast majority of gay people make it very clear that is the farthest thing from the truth.

You've heard this argument before but like it or not it is undeniable- I didn't choose being straight, either did you. So why do you think homosexuals would choose a life of being judged by people like you, told they are going to hell, bullied and ostracized if they were actually born straight?

"We are going to base our opinion upon what we believe the word of God teaches. We believe it condemns homosexuality, and therefore we have to take that moral stance," said the Rev. Gregg Gwin."

Imagine being gay and reading that.  Also let me point out that even the dear reverend admits that it is opinion and belief.  So a whole population of people are condemned on the basis of opinion and belief, perverted twisting of what some think God believes.  As if an all-knowing perfect God would condemn someone for being born the way they are, one of his creations. 

Replace the word in that sentence with heterosexuality and then you might get a glimpse as to why homosexuals and their family and friends that love and accept them for who they are, are offended.

mrs.hartman12
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM
6 moms liked this

I think the professor crossed the line by requiring them to publicly announce they support gay rights. No one should be forced to do something that is against their beliefs. You all would be freaking out if he had made them publicly say they were pro-life. 

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this
How do you homeschool college?

Quoting parentalrights1:

Aslen
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

It's college.

Quoting parentalrights1:

candlegal
by Judy on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yes they would but that is a whole different story

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

I think the professor crossed the line by requiring them to publicly announce they support gay rights. No one should be forced to do something that is against their beliefs. You all would be freaking out if he had made them publicly say they were pro-life. 

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
6 moms liked this
This. When you are researching something you need to be able to look at both sides of the argument whether you agree with them or not. If people at the college know you they will know you don't really agree, and you can always explain after the assignment is done that you don't truly agree with homosexuality and that it was a research assignment on how homosexuals are treated. I don't see how that is forcing anyone to give up their freedoms.

Quoting stormcris:

That paper can be written despite the lack of support for gay rights...it is called research.

The individual religious views do not apply to this.

prommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM
4 moms liked this

I really do not care  if gay marriage is legal, I do not believe that homosexuals should be discriminated against.  I also do not believe that if someone else has a different view that they are homophobic bigots. To force these students to do this assignment was a violation of their rights, it isn't OK anymore to do this to them than it is to violate the rights of our homosexual citizens. The professor could have made more of an impact if he had done a side by side kind of study to see what actual results occurred if the students could go out in the college community displaying what they actually believed and then comparing the results amongst the class. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)