Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SO walked in my study and said, "Zimmerman's Goose is Cooked, lol" - Six women chosen as jurors in his trial - 6/21 UPDATE

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
  • 286 Replies

Six women were chosen Thursday to decide the fate of George Zimmerman, the Florida neighborhood watch captain accused of murder in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

The six jurors were seated after a nearly two-week long jury selection process, in which potential jurors were grilled about their prior knowledge of the case and their personal beliefs on guns, law enforcement and media coverage of the fatal shooting.

Two men and two women also were picked as alternate jurors.

The six final jurors are all women – five are white and one is Hispanic.

The racial and ethnic makeup of potential jurors is relevant, prosecutors say. They have argued that Zimmerman, who identifies himself as Hispanic, profiled Trayvon Martin when he followed the black teen last year as Martin was walking back from a convenience store to the house of his father's fiancee.

SPECIAL COVERAGE: ZIMMERMAN TRIAL

Zimmerman admitted to shooting Martin in the chest with his 9-mm. handgun after calling police, exiting his pickup truck to follow Martin, and then getting into a fight with the teenager on a rainy night inside a gated community in Sanford, Fla., on February 12, 2012.

But Zimmerman also says the teen circled back and attacked him as he walked back to his truck – punching him in the face and slamming the back of his head into the sidewalk.

Photographs taken that night show Zimmerman with a broken nose, bruises and bloody cuts on the back of his head.

Zimmerman could face life in prison if convicted on second-degree murder charges. He claims he shot Martin in self-defense. A 44-day delay in Zimmerman's arrest led to protests around the United States.

Attorneys whittled the pool of hundreds of potential jurors down to 40 for the second round of questioning, and from there six jurors and four alternates were chosen. The potential jurors were given numbers to protect their identities during the selection process.

Juror B-29, Juror B-76, Juror B-37, Juror B-51, Juror E-6 and Juror E-40 were the final six jurors selected.

MEET THE JURORS

The case has gained national attention, and, during the first round of jury selection, potential jurors were questioned at length about their knowledge of the case.

"I haven't lived under a rock for the past year" said Juror B-51. "It's pretty hard for people not to have gotten some information."

Two of the jurors recently moved to the area -- one from Iowa and one from Chicago -- and two are involved with rescuing animals as their hobbies.

One juror had a prior arrest, but she said it was disposed of and she thought she was treated fairly. Two jurors have guns in their homes. 

All of the jurors will be sequestered during the trial, which is expected to last two to four weeks.

Opening statements are scheduled for Monday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/20/six-women-picked-as-jurors-in-george-zimmerman-trial/#ixzz2WnDeJXPW

UPDATE 6/21

Including a list of the jurors as described by reporters.

• B-51 is retired, not married and doesn't have kids. She has lived in Seminole County for nine years. She has worked in real estate and run a call center where she said she had experience resolving conflicts. When asked if Zimmerman did something wrong by following Martin instead of waiting for police, she said: "Yeah, I guess he did do something wrong."
  • B-29 recently moved to central Florida from Chicago. She enjoys watching the "Real Housewives" on television and works as a nurse on an Alzheimer's section of a nursing home. She said she hadn't paid much attention to the shooting. She said she has been arrested, but her case was disposed of. It's not clear why she was arrested or exactly what happened to her case, though she said she was treated fairly. She is married and has several children. A prosecutor described her as "black or Hispanic" during jury selection.
  • B-76 is a white woman who has lived in central Florida for 18 years. She manages rental properties with her husband of 30 years. She has two adult children, including one who is an attorney. She is involved with rescuing animals in her free time. During jury selection, she said she had been the victim of a nonviolent crime. "Everyone deserves a fair trial," she said.
  • B-37 is a white woman who volunteers rescuing animals. She is married to an attorney and has two adult children. She said she and her husband used to have concealed weapons permits. During the last round of questioning, she said she had an issue with the type of weapons people are allowed to carry. She also thought weapons' training was inadequate for people seeking permits. "It should become harder," she said.
  • E-6 is a white woman who is married and has two children. She has worked in financial services and has lived in Seminole County for two years. She is active in her church and involved with her children's school. During jury selection, she said she didn't know the facts of the case well.
  • E-40 is a white woman who works as a safety officer and recently moved to Seminole County from Iowa. She describes herself as a football fan. During jury selection, she said she had been the victim of a nonviolent crime.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/a-look-at-the-jurors-for-george-zimmermans-trial/-/475880/20658798/-/37bl89z/-/index.html

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM
7 moms liked this

So these people can't listen to all the evidence and decide from there?   Their gender means Zimmerman is convicted?

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM
11 moms liked this

I don't see how you think this.  I am a woman and base on the limited amount of evidence released to date I think self-defense is quite plausible.  I would have to hear the rest of it before deciding with certainty of course.

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM
11 moms liked this

I think it is more worriesome that so many of them are white. If he is aquitted,  the people so eager to have his head will cry racism.

garnet83
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:27 PM
4 moms liked this

It doesn't matter what the outcome is, his life is ruined. Either life in prison or, if he goes free, some passionate psycho will kill him. Still not sure what a female jury has to do with anything though.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM
3 moms liked this

It is obviously implying that women are too emotional to look at facts and will convict him solely because Trayvon was 17.

Women just can't look at things logically and must only decide from their hearts.

Quoting garnet83:

It doesn't matter what the outcome is, his life is ruined. Either life in prison or, if he goes free, some passionate psycho will kill him. Still not sure what a female jury has to do with anything though.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting garnet83:

Are you saying that some "passionate psycho"might George Zimmerman, Zimmerman himself? Perhaps prison isa safe haven for the psycho himself.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I don't see how you think this.  I am a woman and base on the limited amount of evidence released to date I think self-defense is quite plausible.  I would have to hear the rest of it before deciding with certainty of course.

Said the purported, vocal "pro-life" Catholic.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM
7 moms liked this

Being pro-life means you can't think self defense is possible?

Do you mean to say that all pro life people must allow themselves to be killed to prove to you they are pro life?

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Said the purported, vocal "pro-life" Catholic.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM
4 moms liked this
I read that a majority of the people they were selecting said they didn't think you should take the law in your own hands., that made me smile.
Donna6503
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think you can conclude anything about this trial; base on the fact that the jury is made-up of just six women.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured