Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Disney Channel's 'Good Luck Charlie' to feature same sex parents

Posted by   + Show Post

Exclusive: Disney Channel Breaks New Ground withGood Luck Charlie Episode

In a first for the Disney Channel, next season an episode of Good Luck Charlie will feature a family with two moms.

Producers are currently casting the couple, with production set for next week. The episode will air in early 2014 as part of Good Luck Charlie's final season. Because Good Luck Charlie is coming to a close, the characters are only expected to appear in this one episode.

In the storyline, parents Amy and Bob Duncan (Leigh-Allyn Baker and Eric Allan Kramer) set up a playdate for preschooler Charlie (Mia Talerico) and one of her new friends. When the kid arrives, the Duncans learn that Charlie's pal has two moms. That's fine, but the potential new friendship is put to the test as one mom chats with Amy, and the other is stuck listening to Bob's dull stories.

The playdate is actually the secondary story in the episode, as much of the action will center on Teddy (Bridgit Mendler) and her best friend Ivy, as Ivy prepares to head off to college.

But Disney Channel understands the groundbreaking nature of featuring a same-sex couple on one of its sitcoms and took extra care in crafting the episode. "This particular storyline was developed under the consultancy of child development experts and community advisors," a Disney Channel spokesperson says. "Like all Disney Channel programming, it was developed to be relevant to kids and families around the world and to reflect themes of diversity and inclusiveness."

Disney Channel already tested the waters last year with its on-air social outreach campaign "Make Your Mark." In one segment, a teen with two moms was featured, a move that was called a "big step forward" by GLAAD.

(link)

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Replies (121-128):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Quoting MrsImperfect:

No, not because of gayness.

My kids love that show. My guess is the kids are getting too old (the ones in the show)

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

This show was cancelled. They filmed one more season then shut it down.

Yes, sadly the show is almost over.

Not because of the gayness, however. 

My youngest loved the show as well.

Have you seen the dad lately?  He certainly did a slim down.  He looks great.

I enjoyed the show.  

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM
The dad does look great! Good for him too. I think Charlie is so stinking cute. Sometimes the mom gets on my nerves though lol.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

My kids love that show. My guess is the kids are getting too old (the ones in the show)

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

I enjoyed the show.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MrsImperfect:

The dad does look great! Good for him too. I think Charlie is so stinking cute. Sometimes the mom gets on my nerves though lol.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

I enjoyed the show.  

Yes, yes and yes!  The mom does indeed get on my nerves.  

My daughter thinks the youngest brother is so cute.  lol

The overall show was cute and fun.  It will be missed by many.

RMC007
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I am the only one upset "Good Luck Charlie" only has one more season? I love that show!

Anyway, in this day and age, kids see homosexual couples walking around in public. My dd asked me one time why two boys were kissing in public, and I said, "Well sometimes a boy likes a boy, the same way your daddy likes me." "Some kids have two daddies instead of a mommy and a daddy." DD said, "Okay" and hasn't mentioned anything since our conversation. I will still watch the show. I have great advice to anyone who is against their children seeing the show......don't watch it.

DomsMom8207
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Ik a few ppl who were just saying this show was very good christian show, they wont like this. Lol
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Who drug this one up? LOL!

I'm gonna miss the Duncan family :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:36 AM
My kids wouldn't blink an eye at the same sex parents. A friend of theirs that they use to go to school with has 2 moms. It was never questioned by anyone.
doomsie
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:18 AM
I'm not pro-gay. But I'm not one who would demand a show to be cancelled just because it will promote homosexuality, or just have a gay couple in it. Its perfectly fine with me for it to be in it. In fact, it can help other kids see that life, even with 2 moms, can be interesting. But at this moment, I'm pissed at disney for a completely different issue that has nothing to do with this. Freaking hackers hacked into toontown online and they are screwing up the game so bad. And the staff doesn't seem to want to patch the hacker codes. No hope for the kids who loves the game, and their parents too. Disney needs to step up and start caring for others!!!! Grrrrr! But as for this show, regardleas of what I feel about homosexuality, the show should still be aired. Its just a show. Big deal. My kids don't gwt thw disney channel, so they can't watch it as it is. But I wouldn't deny the show over how I feel about an issue. And before ppl ask, yes, I don't support homosexuality. But I never make it an issue. If I see a couple kissing who is gay, I smile and don't judge or demand them to leave. They have the same rights to love whom they desire, and I won't be the one to take that away. I never hate upon them. Never say anything negative about them. I can't judge. I'm a christian, but I leave the judging to God and I just live my life.

Buck to the show, if we are ever going to get cable, I would watch that episode just to see what the episode will be like. If my kids have questions about it, I would answer them as a mature adult and not as a hateful christian. I don't want my kids to grow up hating homosexuality. I don't hate it at all. I just don't support it. But I have seen way too much hate on homosexuals. Its sick and sad. The hate doesn't change my views. But that hate makes me question humanity and how sad humanity can be...

The only reason I would consider boycotting disney is over stinking toontown right now tho! About 2 weeks dealing with these hackers at Moment. And right now its pretty bad. They hacked into their system and causing the game to be shut down this crap isn't worth 80 bucks a month that we pay to play this game.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN