Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Just "Who", or "What" is Dr. Tara J. Palmatier?

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, ladies, this is a spin-off of Future Shock's post about women entrapping men by getting pregnant.

I wanted to know WHY this supposed "woman" shrink was so one-sided against women--- SURELY, a Wiki post somewhere existed that would explain why. I have found some images that are supposed to be her, but cannot be sure...

I propose that this "woman" is a fake.At least with Ann Coulter, you know she WAS born... This entity, well, do a little searching with Google, Bing, etc., and let me know if you find any REAL info other than blogs or articles purported to be written by her..

Here is an example of her "work". I did not slog through all of the videos, but the ones I watched were enough to tell me I didn't want to waste my time watching women hating on women... WHERE did they get these women? PAY THEM???

http://www.avoiceformen.com/womens-voice/

Women

A COLLECTION OF ARTICLES, VIDEOS, WEB SITE, AND OTHER RESOURCES BY WOMEN SPEAKING OUT AGAINST HATEFUL GENDER IDEOLOGY:

This page was created a few years ago and in the time since it was created the men’s movement has grown at an explosive rate, with not just men but women joining at a rate too fast to even keep up with. At this point there are far too many women involved in the men’s movement to list even a small fraction of them. However, here are a few videos and articles we think you may find salient, all by women:

VIDEOS

ARTICLES

Furthermore, if you are a woman who is interested in the Men’s Human Rights Movement, you may wish to particularly note the following articles by women on this site:

To The Women Lurking on the Fringes.

Feminism and the Disposable Male.

The Family Terrorist.

Leaving the Sisterhood: A Recovering Feminist Speaks

Manufacturing Female Victims, Marginalizing Vulnerable Men.

BL

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:57 AM
Replies (41-50):
Darkkitty
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Well hey, no one is crazier than a cyber stalker.  And you do seem to be enjoying yourself (like when a man stalks a woman). Scary.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:24 AM
4 moms liked this
I wouldnt want that moron anywhere near my son, brother, husband, or dad.

Hope you showered after you met her...shes a serious turd.

Quoting LiliM:

After comments in Futureshock's post, I found this.

Dr. Tara is real.  I have met her.  She is a strong voice for men who try and get away from crazy.  She supports anyone who deals with personality disordered, but her focus is helping men.

Plenty will scoff at that, but take a look at how the legal system treats men.  As a woman, I will never know the depth of bullshit that a man would. 

And before you further scoff, imagine if the men she helps were your sons, brothers. 

joyfree
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Oh brother, whatever. Yeah, this is so much fun being called a crazy cyber stalker? Riiiight. You seem like a really friendly person for a new person. Way to begin on Cafemom. Good luck with that.

sarcasm

Quoting Darkkitty:

Well hey, no one is crazier than a cyber stalker.  And you do seem to be enjoying yourself (like when a man stalks a woman). Scary.

Aestas
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

You've made some serious assumptions there. I have worked on this issue in a professional capacity as well as having studied it at the graduate level as part of my work for my Master's. I've read and analyzed the studies. I did not get my information from web sites, but from professional training and academic study.

I think it's you who needs to get back to the library and stay away from biased webistes run by MRAs who will do anything to distort the facts and maintain the abusive and sexist status quo.

Quoting lilangilyn:

Quoting Aestas:

You have got to be kidding me. The family court system in the US, if that's what you're referring to, has a distinctly male bias, to the detriment of women. Men's Rights Activists love to say that women get custody more often than men, but that's a very misleading statement. The truth is that women get custody more often than men only when all custody cases are taken into account, including those that go through by agreement. When you look only at contested custody cases, men actually win sole or joint custody more often than women, including in cases where the man is known to have physically abused the woman and/or the children. Abusive men are in fact far more likely than non-abusive men to pursue contested custody; abusers use their children as tools to get back at the mother.

Abusive men also frequently gain custody through claiming "Parental Alienation Syndrome." PAS is a theory advanced by a man who also championed pedophilia; he said that the problem was not men who have sex with children, but the culture that tells us that men having sex with children is wrong. PAS has been thoroughly debunked, is not listed in any DSM, and is not accepted by the scientific or psychological community, yet abusive men still succeed in gaining custody of their children by claiming that the mother invented all the abuse and brainwashed her children using PAS.

Actually PAS has not been debunked at all and is currently being studied all over the world. Though the disinformation campaign against Gardner still exists, the research that has gone on since his death, both qualitative and quantitative, has been undeniably sound. Here in the USA, there has been a recent meta analysis by the head of psychiatry, William Bernet, at Vanderbilt University that will open your eyes to how the psychiatric and psychological field really feels about this issue.. This meta analysis is available to anyone with a library card as is all sound research on the topic and is undeniably in support of the concept and existance of PAS. The theory that abusive men use PAS to gain custody has been debunked time and time again. If anyone really wants to learn about PAS, the source should be peer reviewed articles in libraries and journals, not the fear mongering on the web.

Though PAS was not included in the recent version of DSM, it doesn't mean that it will never be included. The research continues, and as it is sound and can be empirically supported, it will be vindicated eventually. In fact, in the recent DSM V, there is  support that alienation by parents is child abuse. There is also support for the idea of PAS in the diagnosis of folie a deux between a parent and child. Another name for what is basically the same thing. Just less inflammatory because it has not been demonized. Also, there is a lot of information on child relational problems that are of the same category and importance, specifically in V code 61.29, Child Affected by Parental Relationship Distress.

So the concepts are there, the spirit of the diagnosis is there. There is huge support for PAS in the psychological community world wide and its supporters continue to do the research and the lobbying that is needed to have it gain a place in the next DSM. So when you say something has been debunked or that it was the work of a pedophile, please try actually looking at original documents rather than reading anti Gardner sites. His comments on sexuality have been completely taken out of context and were in reference to other cultures and their specific practices. Take a look at the vast research being done today by reputable universities, hospitals, and organizations. A library card is free and will open up worlds for you. I don't meant this disrespectfully, but it is important when debating that facts are presented not propaganda. 

The US legal system is absolutely biased, but it's against women, not men. Even the most cursory examination of actual facts and statistics makes that absolutely clear.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
So weird, right? Randomly bust into a thread and start slinging insults after a completely composed and reasonable response.

Quoting joyfree:

Oh brother, whatever. Yeah, this is so much fun being called a crazy cyber stalker? Riiiight. You seem like a really friendly person for a new person. Way to begin on Cafemom. Good luck with that.

sarcasm

Quoting Darkkitty:

Aestas
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I didn't say that men use kids to get back at women; I said abusive men use kids to get back at women, and they do.

Your anecdotal evidence about family court is nice, but it doesn't compare to facts, statistics, and studies which demonstrate the opposite of what you're claiming.

As I explained to another poster, my info doesn't come from NOW or from websites; this is an issue that I have worked on in a professional capacity and studied in graduate school. I am very well-informed regarding the myths and facts about child custody and PAS.

Perception: the courts are biased against fathers, who almost never get custody.

Fact: Though it is true that women are far more likely to be awarded custody, they are also far more likely to ask for it in the first place. To establish bias, one must show (at the very minimum) that equally qualified fathers who request custody are denied more than half of the time, and here the data prove inconvenient. Courts can't be expected to award what they're not asked to. It turns out that fathers who ask for custody (and don't give up) are very likely to get either sole or joint custody:

From a state of Massachusetts study of custody awards at the state and national level come these studies of cases where fathers requested custody:

Study 1: MASS 
2100 cases where fathers sought custody (100%)
5 year duration

29% of fathers got primary custody
65% of fathers got joint custody

7% of mothers got primary custody

Study 2: MASS
700 cases. In 57, (8.14%) father sought custody
6 years

67% of fathers got primary custody
23% of mothers got primary custody

Study 3: MASS
500 cases. In 8% of these cases, father sought custody
6 years

41% of fathers got sole custody
38% of fathers got joint custody

15% of mothers got sole custody

Study 4: Los Angeles
63% of fathers who sought sole custody were successful

Study 5: US appellate custody cases
51% of fathers who sought custody were successful (not clear from wording whether this includes just sole or sole/joint custody)

Quoting LiliM:

No I am not. And while there may be some abusive men who get custody there are FAR more abusive women who get and keep it.

I'm not sure where you have dealt with family court but in the three I have, not one had a distinctly male bias. All three favored the mother.

And PAS has NOT been debunked. It's detractors would like you to think so and go on about Gardner like he's the beginning and end. Well, he's not. There are multiple professionals that have studied and furthered his research that find it credible and fact based.

A study of the facts? From whom? NOW? I was a long time member of NOW. The smear job they have done on anyone who supports PAS is impressive.

And I know people who have suffered a great deal at the hands of women who actively and openly practice PAS. It's pervasive and wide spread. Are you saying that only men use the kids to get back at a woman?

Because if you are, there's no sense in continuing a discussion with you. Women have custody in over 80% of cases that go to court. But PAS is a tool used by only men? Who don't get custody 4/5 of the time?

joyfree
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Yes,,, Very odd...

going crazy

Quoting UpSheRises:

So weird, right? Randomly bust into a thread and start slinging insults after a completely composed and reasonable response.

Quoting joyfree:

sarcasm

Quoting Darkkitty:

LiliM
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Lol.

I love that my life experience is nothing to your research. Okay.

I used to believe very strongly as you do. Life has changed that.

Eta: Most men don't mind shared custody. They understand that even if the ex is a bitch she's still mom and important. If a man seeks sole, there had better be some serious reasons as to why. As in, their attorney has told then that they actually stand a chance because while women often go for sole, men doing the same is not viewed well in the courts.

In order for a man to get sole, he needs to show cause and then some.
Quoting Aestas:I didn't say that men use kids to get back at women; I said abusive men use kids to get back at women, and they do.Your anecdotal evidence about family court is nice, but it doesn't compare to facts, statistics, and studies which demonstrate the opposite of what you're claiming.As I explained to another poster, my info doesn't come from NOW or from websites; this is an issue that I have worked on in a professional capacity and studied in graduate school. I am very well-informed regarding the myths and facts about child custody and PAS.Perception: the courts are biased against fathers, who almost never get custody.Fact: Though it is true that women are far more likely to be awarded custody, they are also far more likely to ask for it in the first place. To establish bias, one must show (at the very minimum) that equally qualified fathers who request custody are denied more than half of the time, and here the data prove inconvenient. Courts can't be expected to award what they're not asked to. It turns out that fathers who ask for custody (and don't give up) are very likely to get either sole or joint custody:From a state of Massachusetts study of custody awards at the state and national level come these studies of cases where fathers requested custody:Study 1: MASS 2100 cases where fathers sought custody (100%)5 year duration29% of fathers got primary custody65% of fathers got joint custody7% of mothers got primary custodyStudy 2: MASS700 cases. In 57, (8.14%) father sought custody6 years67% of fathers got primary custody23% of mothers got primary custodyStudy 3: MASS500 cases. In 8% of these cases, father sought custody6 years41% of fathers got sole custody38% of fathers got joint custody15% of mothers got sole custodyStudy 4: Los Angeles63% of fathers who sought sole custody were successfulStudy 5: US appellate custody cases51% of fathers who sought custody were successful (not clear from wording whether this includes just sole or sole/joint custody)Quoting LiliM:No I am not. And while there may be some abusive men who get custody there are FAR more abusive women who get and keep it.

I'm not sure where you have dealt with family court but in the three I have, not one had a distinctly male bias. All three favored the mother.

And PAS has NOT been debunked. It's detractors would like you to think so and go on about Gardner like he's the beginning and end. Well, he's not. There are multiple professionals that have studied and furthered his research that find it credible and fact based.

A study of the facts? From whom? NOW? I was a long time member of NOW. The smear job they have done on anyone who supports PAS is impressive.

And I know people who have suffered a great deal at the hands of women who actively and openly practice PAS. It's pervasive and wide spread. Are you saying that only men use the kids to get back at a woman?

Because if you are, there's no sense in continuing a discussion with you. Women have custody in over 80% of cases that go to court. But PAS is a tool used by only men? Who don't get custody 4/5 of the time?
LiliM
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:26 AM
*shrug*

I disagree. My family would enjoy her as much as I do.

I doubt your lack of interest in knowing her is a heartbreak.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I wouldnt want that moron anywhere near my son, brother, husband, or dad.

Hope you showered after you met her...shes a serious turd.

Quoting LiliM:

After comments in Futureshock's post, I found this.

Dr. Tara is real.  I have met her.  She is a strong voice for men who try and get away from crazy.  She supports anyone who deals with personality disordered, but her focus is helping men.

Plenty will scoff at that, but take a look at how the legal system treats men.  As a woman, I will never know the depth of bullshit that a man would. 

And before you further scoff, imagine if the men she helps were your sons, brothers. 

spotsmom
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I've found no evidence that she is real. Obviously you know something we don't know, so fill us in. And having similar writing styles has nothing to do with whether or not they are in agreement on a particularsubject. It simply means that the WAY the two write, use of language, style, syntax, is very, very similar. I find that odd, especially since men and women tend to have very different writing styles. And yes, they do seem to agree on a good deal of things. In fact, everyone on that site is in perfect agreement about lots of things---mostly that women are inferior, obselete, good for nothing other than to look at (as long as they are under the age of 30, as one group member insisted) and to use for sex. And then they launch into a group circle jerk lamenting about how women use them for money. I can't imagine there could be anybody with a healthy world view who agrees with these guys....but as least they manage toarticulate themselves better than most of their like-minded brethern. 

Oh, and how are men not "equal?" Just because women gained rights that men have always had, doesn't mean that rights were taken away from them. What do you mean by "They  (the men on these websites) just want to be equal?" (While claiming superiority...) 

Quoting LiliM:

Quoting spotsmom:

Having read through some of the articles on their website, I can tell you, fairly conclusively, that "Tara" has the exact same writing style as another male blogger on the site. I can also tell you, a quick perusal of the site will leave you with little doubt that this is a misogynistic site full of anti-woman rhetoric and lots of " Menz is superior!" sophmoric high-fiving. 

But Tara is a real person.  Just because someone else agrees with her POV and is equally unhappy with the way men are dealt with doesn't mean anything.  It means that, OMG, there are more people than Dr. Tara who think being a man can lead to a crock of shit legally.

Anything to shoot the messenger.  And no, Menz is not superior.  They'd like to start by merely being equal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)