Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O of A Religious Request Thread

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • 155 Replies
2 moms liked this

I am making this a new thread because I want the other thread to be only about positive things regarding religion.  I think it is an important balance.

However, one of the things one of the posters said about Christianity that was positive was "social justice".

I am wondering how those who feel the Church is for social justice reconcile the idea that they are against gay marriage or homosexual equality.

Thoughts please?

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM
3 moms liked this

Shameless bump

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they meant it in the way that the Catholic church is the single largest Charity provider in the world and that the church helps those who are poor and needy.

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Quoting jehosoba84:

I think they meant it in the way that the Catholic church is the single largest Charity provider in the world and that the church helps those who are poor and needy.

I agree that there is much good that the Church does for the poor and needy.

But "social justice" means more than that, and if you read the second response the other poster made, she references "social justice - fighting for the rights of people" and not about the charity aspect.

That's why I am asking the question I am.  :-)

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
6 moms liked this

White Catholic priests and nuns marched with Dr. King. They risked their lives because they believed what Jesus said. 

The church sheltered Jews during the holocaust. My grandfathers sister is a nun and was a nurse in a French hospital during the war and they hid Jews in the basement where they burned the medical waste. 

The church provides an immeasurable about of medical care to the poorest of the poor in Africa. My mothers sister was a nun and she was a midwife in Ghana until she died of meningitis in the 60s. 

I personally believe that if the Catholic church wants to stay relevant and not implode on itself in the coming decades, it would behoove them to bend in the wind on a number of issues. Not just for the sake of social justice but for its own survival. 

Quoting jehosoba84:

katinahat
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a Christian who is pro-gay marriage, so...I guess that I would say that not EVERYONE in the church is against equal rights for homosexuals.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Ah. Well, on that specific topic, the Church and society will never agree on.  The church will not bend to society's new ideas on what is ok and not ok.  (actually one the the things I love most about our church as well.)  

That being said...the Catholic church says homosexual persons deserve respect, and pastoral care.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jehosoba84:

But "social justice" means more than that, and if you read the second response the other poster made, she references "social justice - fighting for the rights of people" and not about the charity aspect.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Quoting mehamil1:

I personally believe that if the Catholic church wants to stay relevant and not implode on itself in the coming decades, it would behoove them to bend in the wind on a number of issues. Not just for the sake of social justice but for its own survival. 

Quoting jehosoba84:

The fact that the church will not bend is one of the things I love most about it.

So, You think God's idea of what is sin and what is not has changed, just because our society's ideas have?  

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Quoting jehosoba84:

Ah. Well, on that specific topic, the Church and society will never agree on.  The church will not bend to society's new ideas on what is ok and not ok.  (actually one the the things I love most about our church as well.)  

That being said...the Catholic church says homosexual persons deserve respect, and pastoral care.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jehosoba84:

I can understand that the Church will have whatever position it wishes.

I think I am taking exception to the idea of "social justice" when the Church does have this position.

btw -- the response above yours is from a Catholic who says she is pro-gay marriage, so I guess people within the faith are not monolithic.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I was raised in the Catholic church and educated by Jesuits. 

Never once did I ever buy into the notion of "sin". Conditions upon unconditional love is ridiculous. 

Quoting jehosoba84:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting jehosoba84:

The fact that the church will not bend is one of the things I love most about it.

So, You think God's idea of what is sin and what is not has changed, just because our society's ideas have?  

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

The church's job is to lead people to the truth. The church does not care about popularity, nor should it.

"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers who say what their itching ears want to hear."  2 Timothy 4:3

Quoting mehamil1:

White Catholic priests and nuns marched with Dr. King. They risked their lives because they believed what Jesus said. 

The church sheltered Jews during the holocaust. My grandfathers sister is a nun and was a nurse in a French hospital during the war and they hid Jews in the basement where they burned the medical waste. 

The church provides an immeasurable about of medical care to the poorest of the poor in Africa. My mothers sister was a nun and she was a midwife in Ghana until she died of meningitis in the 60s. 

Quoting jehosoba84:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured