Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poor people are using food stamps to buy king crab legs

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 731 Replies

Rep. Louie Gohmert Says Poor People Buy King Crab Legs with Food Stamps 

article image

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) claimed on Thursday that poor people are using food stamps to buy king crab legs.

Speaking on the House floor, he provided no proof of his claim, other than saying his constituents had seen poor people purchasing expensive seafood, noted RawStory.com.

Rep. Gohmert was trying to defend Republicans (including himself) who want to cut 2 million low-income Americans from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

"I've heard this story so many times from people who are broken-hearted about it... standing in line in a grocery store behind people with a food stamp card," said Rep. Gohmert.

"One individual said, 'I love crab legs. You know, the big king crab legs. I love those, but we haven't been able to have them in our house for who knows when. But I'm standing in line behind a guy who has those in his basket and I'm looking longingly like, when can I ever make enough again where our family can have something like that.' And then he sees the food stamp card pulled out."

Rep. Gohmert also made news on Wednesday when he was asked by ThinkProgress.org if he supported the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would ban employers in the private sector from discriminating against workers on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

"Who wants to go talking about sexual orientation when they’re working? Good grief," said Rep. Gohmert.

Sources: RawStory.com and ThinkProgress.org

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
macbudsmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM
8 moms liked this

Let's face it.  It does happen.

candlegal
by Judy on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM
4 moms liked this

Actually yes it does and a lot more than he probably knows about. 

Quoting macbudsmom:

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM
16 moms liked this

Quoting macbudsmom:

It does, but not as often as non-foodstamp people THINK it does.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM
17 moms liked this

Who the hell cares... they are eating! If you want to be able to afford seafood without FS.... save your damn money and don't spend it on bullshit! TADA!

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM
3 moms liked this

Um, they can do it.   Places advertise they can.

So, should they?  Or should they be reduced to healthy staples that are much cheaper?  Why should the food stamp users be able to buy something the people paying for it (and please, if you work and are on food stamps, no you aren't paying for the amount you get) sometimes cannot afford?

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM
12 moms liked this

at least its not junk food.. 

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM
4 moms liked this

Or they shouldn't get things that expensive when people not on SNAP cannot afford them.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Who the hell cares... they are eating! If you want to be able to afford seafood without FS.... save your damn money and don't spend it on bullshit! TADA!

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Quoting candlegal:

Actually yes it does and a lot more than he probably knows about. 

Quoting macbudsmom:

I've seen them buy many other things, but never crab legs. Then again, I've never worked at a grocery store, so perhaps I'm wrong about it not happening  so often.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM
27 moms liked this

Why is the person standing in line paying such close attention to what card is pulled out of the other person's wallet?

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM
10 moms liked this

This is not a problem where we make a longer list what what people cannot buy with food stamps. This is a problem that can be solved by giving people LESS $$$ per person.

When we first got on FS, we were 4 ppl. 2 adults and 2 very small children. No income (long story) and we got over 600$ per month. !!!!    We didn't need but maybe 300.  If I smply didn't use the money it would just roll over to the next month. 

^^^^^^ This is the problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured