Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

More States Require Wait for Abortion than Wait for Guns

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 91 Replies

More States Require Wait for Abortion than Wait for Guns

article image

Policy Mic has pointed out that more states require waiting periods for abortions than waiting periods for guns. There are currently 26 states, such as Texas and Virginia, that require a woman to wait before getting an abortion. In contrast, there are only 11 states that require people to wait before buying a gun. These states include California and Massachusetts.

These statistics highlight how much of an impact politics can have on a person’s ability to perform a legal activity. Getting an abortion and buying a gun are both perfectly legal in every state, but pro-gun control and pro-life politics have affected how easy it is to do both.

What makes this comparison so striking is that abortion and guns both provoke debate about life, death, and murder. Pro-life advocates argue that restricting abortions save lives, and gun control proponents argue that restricting guns save lives.

Unsurprisingly, the states that require a waiting period for abortions tend to lean to the right, and states that require a waiting period for guns tend to lean to the left.

What's so ironic about these waiting periods is that they are intended to have a totally different effect. The purpose of waiting periods for abortions is to increase emotion and make would-be mothers more attached to their unborn fetus. The purpose of waiting periods for guns is to get rid of emotion and prevent impulsive people from buying a gun in a moment of anger of depression.

A study in Texas concluded that the waiting period had an intended effect with abortions, with as many as one-third of women saying that the waiting period had a negative emotional impact. Statistics about gun waiting periods are scarce, but the data suggests that forcing people to wait for guns reduces the number of gun-related suicides.

What are your thoughts about these two controversial waiting periods? Which need to stay and which need to go?

Source: Policy Mic

Get More: Abortion | gun control | guns | politics | pro-choice

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they should both have waiting periods for the same reasons....To make sure that what they are doing is not on impulse.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jehosoba84:

I think they should both have waiting periods for the same reasons....To make sure that what they are doing is not on impulse.

I agree. Both are big decisions but I don't think the waiting time for guns should be so short.

HAHuskey
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM

For the record, There is a waiting period for guns in Arkansas... The pic above shows otherwise. But I would have to wait a minimum of 24 hours before purchasing firearms in Arkansas. I know because I've lived here my entire life. Just saying.

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM

There is a three day wait in Texas for handguns, with an exception for those with a CHL.

garnet83
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Abortion = guarantee that a life will be taken Gun = No guarantee that a life will be taken
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting garnet83:

Abortion = guarantee that a life will be taken Gun = No guarantee that a life will be taken

Not true.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I can certainly see the benefits of a waiting period for both.  

During the waiting period for a weapon, I would hope a thorough background check takes place.  

garnet83
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Example: Abortions result in dead babies. Every time. That's the purpose of them.

Dh and I have owned a gun for years. It has been used in target practice once and has been locked away untouched ever since.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting garnet83:

Not true.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting garnet83:

Example: Abortions result in dead babies. Every time. That's the purpose of them.

Dh and I have owned a gun for years. It has been used in target practice once and has been locked away untouched ever since.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting garnet83:

Not true.

Again.  Not true.

Abortions do not always equal a dead 'baby'.

My goodness, educate yourself.

garnet83
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting garnet83:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting garnet83:

Not true.

Again.  Not true.

Abortions do not always equal a dead 'baby'.

My goodness, educate yourself.

It is the killing of the unborn, yes?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)