Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ohio School Bans Afro Puffs and Braids.

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 58 Replies

Quote:

Ohio School Bans Afro Puffs and Braids

â€“ June 20, 2013

530847_362873373757396_221256177919117_1086583_339624364_n

The Lorain Horizon Science Academy in Ohio is facing heat from the natural hair community after a copy of a letter to parents that included a ban on afro puffs and ‘small twisted braids’ was posted online.

The letter details changes to the dress code for the upcoming school year and includes the line:

Afro-puffs and small twisted braids, with our without rubberbands, are NOT permitted.

It’s unclear what the administration means by small twisted braids, but if they are referring to box braids they are banning a protective style that black girls have worn for generations. Afro-puffs are essentially the black version of the ponytail (when pulled back our hair puffs out instead of laying down), and yet the rules do not have a ban on ponytails for students of other ethnicities.

It’s unspecified whether this ban applies to both male and female students, or male students alone.

The dress code restrictions highlight an age-old struggle that naturals face from both within and outside of the black community. Our hair is viewed as radical, funky or unruly in its natural state, and restrictions are sometimes placed on us in academic and professional settings that do not extend to our non-black counterparts.

So far the school hasn’t issued a response or explanation of this dress code item.

What do you think ladies? Is this a fair restriction to include in the dress code? Why or why not?

A copy of the letter is below.

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow.  Why on earth would anyone consider it acceptable to ban natural hair?  

joyfree
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM

OMG!!! I think those "puffs" are adorable!

WHY are there always people out there insisting on taking away people's rights yet screaming bloody murder if it happens to them?

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
That's ridiculous!
elkmomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM
2 moms liked this

It does sound very racial, but....yes but....I could almost be more understanding if the school was having an issue with gang violence due to hair styles or students hiding weapons in their hair.  I highly doubt it though.  Regardless, it sounds very racist.

OK  since some people don't know or understand SARCASIM  I will edit.  This whole ban is stupid and very racist.  I was pointing out the stupidity behind it.   FUCK get off your high horses and quit looking for issues where there is none.   My skin may be pale, but I am not exactly white either.

lovemymini
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Afro puffs cause gang violence?! 

Quoting elkmomma:

It does sound very racial, but....yes but....I could almost be more understanding if the school was having an issue with gang violence due to hair styles or students hiding weapons in their hair.  I highly doubt it though.  Regardless, it sounds very racist.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM
6 moms liked this

That's rediculous.  Both styles are very natural.  I'm not a black woman, nor do I play one on TV, but I think natural hair on AA women is lovely.

RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Uhh that's not the only thing I read that sounds very racist.

Quoting elkmomma:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM
4 moms liked this

I think educators need to remember what the scope of their authority is.

It's certainly not policing hairstyles.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Wow! That's ridiculous.
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this
The Afro-puff ban, but no ban on ponytails is what really ticks me off. That is a very specific target.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)