Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Brides Furious After Receiving Gift Basket for Wedding Gift

Posted by   + Show Post

Brides Furious After Receiving Gift Basket for Wedding Gift

article image

A bride started a war of words after two guests bought her a "cheap and embarrassing" gift consisting of candy in a basket.

Kathy Mason, from Hamilton, Ontario, and her boyfriend, created a food hamper for the same-sex couple. It was full of treats including pasta, olive oil, crutons, biscuits, Marshmallow Fluff and Sour Patch Kids.

A card attached to the basket read, "Enjoy…life is delicious."

But the couple was not impressed by the basket, and contacted Mason the next day via text to ask if they had the receipt. 

Mason was offended by the text, and decided she would make the exchange public through The Hamilton Spectator. She believed the gift was "thoughtful and not out of place."

At one point, the brides revealed that it cost $200 to have Mason and her boyfriend attend their wedding.

They said they booked a lakeside venue with catering that cost a total of $34,000. Because Mason only gave her a gift that cost $30, the bride thought she was being disrespectful.

"You ate steak, chicken, booze at a beautiful venue…if anything you should be embarrassed for being so cheap and embarrassing," she said.

The message exchange has since received many comments, mostly by people who agree with the bride.

One wrote, "As a person who has been invited to numerous weddings [and] a firm believer of the saying 'do unto others,' I am always sensitive when it comes to giving a gift."

"If I knew the couple is spending $100/plate, I make sure to give $250 or more not only to cover my and my fiancees dinner but to give the newlyweds a gift as well. I am getting married in September and would be furious if this happened to me."

Reader Victoria agreed, saying, "I have never received a hamper as a gift, again I'm European and we are bred to be very generous."

"Gift baskets are appropriate for showers, birthdays…etc. But in my culture anything less than a $100 per person monetary gift is insulting. I have Greek, Portuguese and other European friends who wholeheartedly agree."

When the married couple spoke to The Hamilton Spectator, they said their argument was likely sparked by cultural differences.

"I don't know what day or century they're living in," one said. 

Sources: Daily Mail, The Spec

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Wow. Way to be classy
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Rude.

My daughter is getting married in September. Very expensive wedding, they are paying for themselves. All the invites are handwritten by a calligrapher. She asked me the correct wording so nobody would bring gifts. They are only having 75 of her nearest and dearest.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

A wedding is about celebrating with your family and friends... not about receiving gifts.  If you care that much about a gift, it shows how materialistic and shallow you are.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM
No, they wanted CASH, not a gift. Someone else posted this and if you go to the link and read the texts they said they wanted cash.

Apparently it is regional. Almost all the weddings I've gone to have been in the south or Midwest and gifts are acceptable. In the east gifts are for showers, cash for the wedding, with the minimum being about $200. Boggles my mind.

Quoting erika9009:

OMG, I think the bride forgot it's not how much you spend that matters.

Maybe just maybe, the couple could not afford that $200 wine set from Macy's.  It's about sharing the day with the people you care about.  It's not about "what you can get out of it"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Okay, so my mouth is literally hanging open...just when you think people cannot stoop any lower.  What a greedy bitch.

She would hare really hated the "kitchen lady" I received for a wedding gift.  It looked like a doll and was made with a paper towel holder, kitchen towel, dishcloth, wooden spoons..a couple of other things.  Obvious Dollar Store items..I thought it was very clever and found all the items useful.  Not once did I think..damn cheap gift...old bat should have given us something worth at least $250....

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM
2 moms liked this

it's a cheap and odd gift and not nicely presented, but the craptastic reaction to is is the far worse offense. 

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
When I am invited to a wedding I give a gift based on what we can afford and how well we know the couple.

When we got married we appreciated each gift we were given. I do not remember thinking about how much each person spent on us. The thought of the gift was wonderful.

These brides are selfish.
ACDC_fan
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

LMAO!!!! fantastic meme l-m-a-o hahahaha >.<

So.....clearly, actual THOUGHT was put into this gift......my husband would be like "aw HELL YEAH!!! snacks!!!!!!!" :P

Quoting lovemymini:

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM
What a witch of a bride. The gift was thoughtful and sweet but it sounds like the bride(s) viewed their wedding not as an opportunity to share their happiness with close friends and relatives but as an opportunity to get everything they wanted but couldn't afford themselves. If I was the gift-giver, I'd be scratching the bride(s) OFF my friend list immediately.
Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM
The fuck? You don't dictate what people bring as a gift. That's so rude!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)