Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brides Furious After Receiving Gift Basket for Wedding Gift

Posted by   + Show Post

Brides Furious After Receiving Gift Basket for Wedding Gift

article image

A bride started a war of words after two guests bought her a "cheap and embarrassing" gift consisting of candy in a basket.

Kathy Mason, from Hamilton, Ontario, and her boyfriend, created a food hamper for the same-sex couple. It was full of treats including pasta, olive oil, crutons, biscuits, Marshmallow Fluff and Sour Patch Kids.

A card attached to the basket read, "Enjoy…life is delicious."

But the couple was not impressed by the basket, and contacted Mason the next day via text to ask if they had the receipt. 

Mason was offended by the text, and decided she would make the exchange public through The Hamilton Spectator. She believed the gift was "thoughtful and not out of place."

At one point, the brides revealed that it cost $200 to have Mason and her boyfriend attend their wedding.

They said they booked a lakeside venue with catering that cost a total of $34,000. Because Mason only gave her a gift that cost $30, the bride thought she was being disrespectful.

"You ate steak, chicken, booze at a beautiful venue…if anything you should be embarrassed for being so cheap and embarrassing," she said.

The message exchange has since received many comments, mostly by people who agree with the bride.

One wrote, "As a person who has been invited to numerous weddings [and] a firm believer of the saying 'do unto others,' I am always sensitive when it comes to giving a gift."

"If I knew the couple is spending $100/plate, I make sure to give $250 or more not only to cover my and my fiancees dinner but to give the newlyweds a gift as well. I am getting married in September and would be furious if this happened to me."

Reader Victoria agreed, saying, "I have never received a hamper as a gift, again I'm European and we are bred to be very generous."

"Gift baskets are appropriate for showers, birthdays…etc. But in my culture anything less than a $100 per person monetary gift is insulting. I have Greek, Portuguese and other European friends who wholeheartedly agree."

When the married couple spoke to The Hamilton Spectator, they said their argument was likely sparked by cultural differences.

"I don't know what day or century they're living in," one said. 

Sources: Daily Mail, The Spec

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Stupid people know nothing about etiquette.  Your guests are in no way obligated to fund your wedding.  Host what you can afford without any expectations. 

Don't people know this? 

I'm embarrassed for this entitled pair. 

junebaby11
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Bride sounds like a entitled little brat. Not everyone can afford mega bucks for gifts
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM
2 moms liked this

How much do you want to bet this horrid excuse for a human bitches about poor people eating crab legs.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM
My 8 year old DD has better manners.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I've gotten some pretty shitty gifts in my life but I never once complained about them. If I didn't like it I gave it away, donated it, or threw it out. People like this confuse the hell out of me. I don't understand this kind of reaction at all. 

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Fuck the bride, she's being a bitch.  

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

My son's fathers family is European and when it comes to gift giving they go all out. So I can see how this is a cultural thing. They will flat out say they don't like something. First time it happened I was confused as all hell and then embarrassed. 

DragonInfinity
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM
The disgust. I would have a gift like that over something that I would never use.....Those brides are greedy little low down bitches...Serves them right not getting their way. Sorry for the language, but come on! You can see how much thought was put into that, she showed how much she liked/cared about the couple.....Too bad they didn't do the same.

Only once we surrender to the Mystery can it reveal itself to us!!!

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I'm going to sound like a bitch, but oh well. Don't have a $100 / plate wedding and reception if you are inviting a lot of non-wealthy friends. If you want the gifts to equal the wedding costs then you need to plan your guest list better.
lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Personally, I think it shows incredibly poor taste on the part of the brides.  Not only would I not provide the receipt, I'd get new friends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured