Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Brides Furious After Receiving Gift Basket for Wedding Gift

Posted by   + Show Post

Brides Furious After Receiving Gift Basket for Wedding Gift

article image

A bride started a war of words after two guests bought her a "cheap and embarrassing" gift consisting of candy in a basket.

Kathy Mason, from Hamilton, Ontario, and her boyfriend, created a food hamper for the same-sex couple. It was full of treats including pasta, olive oil, crutons, biscuits, Marshmallow Fluff and Sour Patch Kids.

A card attached to the basket read, "Enjoy…life is delicious."

But the couple was not impressed by the basket, and contacted Mason the next day via text to ask if they had the receipt. 

Mason was offended by the text, and decided she would make the exchange public through The Hamilton Spectator. She believed the gift was "thoughtful and not out of place."

At one point, the brides revealed that it cost $200 to have Mason and her boyfriend attend their wedding.

They said they booked a lakeside venue with catering that cost a total of $34,000. Because Mason only gave her a gift that cost $30, the bride thought she was being disrespectful.

"You ate steak, chicken, booze at a beautiful venue…if anything you should be embarrassed for being so cheap and embarrassing," she said.

The message exchange has since received many comments, mostly by people who agree with the bride.

One wrote, "As a person who has been invited to numerous weddings [and] a firm believer of the saying 'do unto others,' I am always sensitive when it comes to giving a gift."

"If I knew the couple is spending $100/plate, I make sure to give $250 or more not only to cover my and my fiancees dinner but to give the newlyweds a gift as well. I am getting married in September and would be furious if this happened to me."

Reader Victoria agreed, saying, "I have never received a hamper as a gift, again I'm European and we are bred to be very generous."

"Gift baskets are appropriate for showers, birthdays…etc. But in my culture anything less than a $100 per person monetary gift is insulting. I have Greek, Portuguese and other European friends who wholeheartedly agree."

When the married couple spoke to The Hamilton Spectator, they said their argument was likely sparked by cultural differences.

"I don't know what day or century they're living in," one said. 

Sources: Daily Mail, The Spec

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Replies (41-43):
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Quoting FromAtoZ:

What the hell is wrong with people?

This whole idea that throwing a wedding and spending all this money means that every guest should repay you in gifts is insane.

If that is all some one could afford, so be it.  Besides that, there is more thought in to this gift than there is walking in to some store, looking at a register to see what is 'expected' and spending money on some asinine object.

People worry me.

This couple sounds a lot like some of the moms here on CM.  Such a sad lack in character.

I agree with you 100%! We are having a small wedding reception this summer, only invited the people closest to us and I'll be thankful if they come and spend the day with us! Presents should not be the sole motivation for having a wedding!
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Expecting the value of the gift brought by the guest to be commensurate with the cost to host the guest at the wedding is tacky.  To take it to the next level by memorializing that sentiment via text, and then engaging in an argument about it posted for all the world to see, is the very height of tackiness.

I'm embarassed for the brides.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM

I live on the east coast and you are sort of right. Cash is usually the norm for weddings. However, I do not know anyone who expected a certain amount. It may occur but it is not everyone getting married.

Quoting DSamuels:

No, they wanted CASH, not a gift. Someone else posted this and if you go to the link and read the texts they said they wanted cash.

Apparently it is regional. Almost all the weddings I've gone to have been in the south or Midwest and gifts are acceptable. In the east gifts are for showers, cash for the wedding, with the minimum being about $200. Boggles my mind.

Quoting erika9009:

OMG, I think the bride forgot it's not how much you spend that matters.

Maybe just maybe, the couple could not afford that $200 wine set from Macy's.  It's about sharing the day with the people you care about.  It's not about "what you can get out of it"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN