Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

As a black woman, I really don’t understand the anger surrounding Paula Dean.

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM
  • 416 Replies
90 moms liked this

Now from what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, the anger surrounding PD is a result from an interview/comments she made. As I recall the comments were about her wanting a "traditional southern wedding" for her brother (she wanted all middle -aged black men in white suits and black bow ties) and her admittance of the use of the N word back in the 1980s

What I can't understand is why everyone is so upset. Her wishes for her brother's wedding are common and most of us are guilty of the same in our everyday lives. I also just can't seem to wrap my head around why anyone would be upset with her for something she said damn near 3 decades ago.

It is no different that when we go to a Chinese restaurant and expect to be served and greeted by Oriental people. Though many of us do not want to admit it to ourselves or recognize or subconscious expectations, it is no less true of a fact.

When I see the huge uprising of her comments from 30 years ago I get infuriated. It is nothing but pure hypocritical judgments on the part of her attackers. She was born and raised in the south during its tumultuous racist past. Those feelings were still around and common during the 80s. Her use of the word was negative, but not uncommon nor something she should be held accountable for. Her actions and comments show she is deeply affected by those around her and societal judgments. Her admittance of using the word recently as a result of "blacks saying the word" shows her ignorance, but it also shows the vast amount of confusion surrounding the word in its current urban and slang usage.

This should have been a learning and growing experience, not a shaming one. Her persecution will do nothing but harden her own racist feelings (or just create new ones) and further demote the weight of the feelings of real racial discrimination and torment towards black people.

We have forced people to pick sides. This will come back to bite us in the near future.  

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM
12 moms liked this

Now obviously I dont speack for every black woman on this site. These are my personal feelings.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM

BUMP!

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM

BUMP!

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM
28 moms liked this

bow down    Very well said.  Thank you for posting. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM
5 moms liked this

I do not care what she has to say, now or then.

She is not some one I would ever be friendly with in my life.  As well as her brother.  They just are not the type of people I find to be appealing.  I pay very little attention to her.

Now, if she, and/or her brother, are indeed guilty of any type of discrimination, or any of the other allegations in regards to how they treated their employees, there are consequences for those actions.

In my reality, she is nothing more than a few pots and pans in my kitchen because they were on sale.

Mommylovesdada
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm wondering if there isn't more to the story or if I'm just not getting it all. Using the n word years ago? It happens. Especially here in the deep south. Then you grow up and realize its not right. The all black server thing to me just doesn't sit right. I've never been a huge fan of hers though.
ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

She is not some one I would ever be friendly with in my life.  As well as her brother.  They just are not the type of people I find to be appealing.  I pay very little attention to her.

Now, if she, and/or her brother, are indeed guilty of any type of discrimination, or any of the other allegations in regards to how they treated their employees, there are consequences for those actions.

In my reality, she is nothing more than a few pots and pans in my kitchen because they were on sale.

I don't really follow her either. I ate at one of her resturants once. I found it a tad bit saltty.

I just feel bady for her.

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM

BUMP!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I don't really follow her either. I ate at one of her resturants once. I found it a tad bit saltty.

I just feel bady for her.

I don't know that I feel badly for her.  I guess I would have to like something about her to feel badly about her.  I've never really cared for her or about her.

Time will tell where all this leads.  If there is no truth to the allegations, hopefully that will be proven.  If there is proof to the allegations, hopefully that will be proven.

We shall see.

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM
23 moms liked this

Paula is that you? If any screename was Paul Deen it would be yours!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured