Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Church of England creating 'pagan church' to recruit members

Posted by   + Show Post

Church of England creating 'pagan church' to recruit members

The Church of England is trying to recruit pagans and spiritual believers as part of a drive to retain congregation numbers.

The Church of England is trying to recruit pagans and spiritual believers as part of a drive to retain congregation numbers.
Crowds gather at dawn amongst the stones at Stonehenge in Wiltshire for the Summer Solstice Photo: Lewis Whyld/PA

The church is training ministers to create “a pagan church where Christianity [is] very much in the centre” to attract spiritual believers.

Ministers are being trained to create new forms of Anglicanism suitable for people of alternative beliefs as part of a Church of England drive to retain congregation numbers.

Reverend Steve Hollinghurst, a researcher and adviser in new religious movements told the BBC: “I would be looking to formulate an exploration of the Christian faith that would be at home in their culture.”

He said it would be “almost to create a pagan church where Christianity was very much in the centre.”

The Church Mission Society, which is training ministers to “break new ground”, hopes to see a number of spiritual people align themselves with Christianity.

Andrea Campenale, of the Church Mission Society, said: “Nowadays people, they want to feel something; they want to have some sense of experience.

“We live in reflective England where there’s much more of a focus on ourselves. I think that is something we can bring in dialogue with the Christian society.”

The Church Mission Society’s webpage advertising their pioneer training scheme states: “Wherever in the world the mission of Jesus goes on, the church needs pioneer mission leaders to break new ground.”

The news comes as spiritual seekers celebrate the summer solstice at Stonehenge today.

Pagans and druids will gather to watch the sun rise following the longest day of the year, celebrating at the historic monument.

The new move could see famous druids such as druid leader Arthur Pendragon move to Anglicanism.

More than 20,000 people gathered at Stonehenge today ahead of a £27 million transformation of the site.

The huge gathering of people marked the event in a "positive, friendly atmosphere" as they waited for the sun to come up, but cloudy skies prevented them from basking in a beautiful sunrise.

Superintendent Matt Pullen from Wiltshire Police said: "Solstice 2013 has been a great success with approximately 21,000 people celebrating in the positive, friendly atmosphere as they waited for sunrise.

"The weather held but unfortunately the cloud cover was too dense to see the sun come up."

Loraine Knowles, Stonehenge director at English Heritage, said that although Stonehenge never failed to impress visitors, the setting of the stones had marred people's appreciation and enjoyment of the site.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10133906/Church-of-England-creating-pagan-church-to-recruit-members.html

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Replies (41-50):
JTROX
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM

People chose Christianity.  People still have the right to choose Christianity.  If pagans choose to go to the C of E so be it.  No one is forcing them.  People complaining about the tactics just sound worried.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Fortunately, now people are more educated about what their choices are. They also can't (legally) be threatened, injured, or killed for not choosing Christianity.

This only serves to make them look desperate in addition to looking arrogant.

Quoting JTROX:

If it worked before, why not do it again?

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM
People were forced into Christianity much of the time. Only now is there more of a choice. I stand by what I said-which is not complaining, incidentally.

Quoting JTROX:

People chose Christianity.  People still have the right to choose Christianity.  If pagans choose to go to the C of E so be it.  No one is forcing them.  People complaining about the tactics just sound worried.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Fortunately, now people are more educated about what their choices are. They also can't (legally) be threatened, injured, or killed for not choosing Christianity.

Quoting JTROX:

JTROX
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Yes.  Some people were forced to pretend to be Christians.  Many choose to keep the Christian faith and pass it on to their families, that's why we still have so many Christians.

Sure, it is a choice.   I wouldn't want it any other way.

It apparently upsets you, if you feel the need to call them desperate and arrogant. :)

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

People were forced into Christianity much of the time. Only now is there more of a choice. I stand by what I said-which is not complaining, incidentally.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Quoting JTROX:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

It's nothing new.  There's a whole bunch of Old English poems where Christians of the time adapated their message and theology to fit a warrior culture.  It was a successful approach a thousand years ago or so, not so sure it's going to work these days.  Most people who are pagans have sought out and specifically chosen this religion, rather than just having been brought up in it, so I would think Christians would face more opposition today.    

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM
I don't need to be upset by something to find its motives deperate or to call it arrogant. But you go right on ahead believing that I'm upset, as it seems to make you feel good to think so. :D

Quoting JTROX:Yes.  Some people were forced to pretend to be Christians.  Many choose to keep the Christian faith and pass it on to their families, that's why we still have so many Christians.Sure, it is a choice.   I wouldn't want it any other way.It apparently upsets you, if you feel the need to call them desperate and arrogant. :)Quoting ..MoonShine..:People were forced into Christianity much of the time. Only now is there more of a choice. I stand by what I said-which is not complaining, incidentally.

Quoting JTROX:People chose Christianity.  People still have the right to choose Christianity.  If pagans choose to go to the C of E so be it.  No one is forcing them.  People complaining about the tactics just sound worried.Quoting ..MoonShine..:Fortunately, now people are more educated about what their choices are. They also can't (legally) be threatened, injured, or killed for not choosing Christianity.

Quoting JTROX:

JTROX
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM

You can call your feelings whatever you like.  :)

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

I don't need to be upset by something to find its motives deperate or to call it arrogant. But you go right on ahead believing that I'm upset, as it seems to make you feel good to think so. :D

Quoting JTROX:Yes.  Some people were forced to pretend to be Christians.  Many choose to keep the Christian faith and pass it on to their families, that's why we still have so many Christians.Sure, it is a choice.   I wouldn't want it any other way.It apparently upsets you, if you feel the need to call them desperate and arrogant. :)Quoting ..MoonShine..:People were forced into Christianity much of the time. Only now is there more of a choice. I stand by what I said-which is not complaining, incidentally.

Quoting JTROX:People chose Christianity.  People still have the right to choose Christianity.  If pagans choose to go to the C of E so be it.  No one is forcing them.  People complaining about the tactics just sound worried.Quoting ..MoonShine..:Fortunately, now people are more educated about what their choices are. They also can't (legally) be threatened, injured, or killed for not choosing Christianity.

Quoting JTROX:

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Which somehow led you to justify mocking a pagan ritual? How does that work?

Quoting snookyfritz:

I'm sorry, it is funny to think that The Church of England is so hard up for members that they are willing to include Pagans just to get their numbers up.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Are you disrespectful toward all religions or just paganism?

Quoting snookyfritz:

That story made me giggle.  Dress in your best Renaissance clothing and worship at StoneHenge!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM
So it's cool if I point and laugh at the pope because he's wearing a dress?

Quoting snookyfritz:

That story made me giggle.  Dress in your best Renaissance clothing and worship at StoneHenge!

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I personally don't care what you do.  You don't think I've had to tolerate rantings aimed at my church before?

Quoting jllcali:

So it's cool if I point and laugh at the pope because he's wearing a dress?

Quoting snookyfritz:

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

It worked rather well I'd say, given your reaction

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Which somehow led you to justify mocking a pagan ritual? How does that work?

Quoting snookyfritz:

I'm sorry, it is funny to think that The Church of England is so hard up for members that they are willing to include Pagans just to get their numbers up.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Are you disrespectful toward all religions or just paganism?

Quoting snookyfritz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN