Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Who said White moms can't braid hair?? *Pic*

Posted by   + Show Post

Last week my DD was talking to her friends dad (He's black) He was telling her if she wanted, he had a couple home girls who could braid her hair. She responded, No, my mom is going to do it this weekend. He gave her a double take and said, but your mom is white! No honey, you need a sista doing your hair. It's a cultural thing. White chicks just don't know what to do.

Well *Thumbs nose* to him. I did her hair and I think it looks just fine. What do you think?

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Replies (41-50):
AJ-47
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
It looks fantastic. Anyone can do it, if they practice enough. You clearly have!
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM
My DD's hair is always a mess. She has really white hair so it is very fine, straight and I swear falls out of all hair accessories. It looks greasy in half a day.

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Lol! It looks great though! Its alot of work but I HATE when I go out in public and see kids hair a mess. Super fuzzy braids, uncombed. It drives me crazy!! Lol

Quoting paganbaby:

It's a full time job isn't it? I remember all the time and effort I put into dd's hair when she was young. When ds came along it was like a culture shock. He's a white boy so all I had to do was run a comb through his hair once and it's done.

Yeah, he's an idiot. (The dad, not ds LOL)

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

I braid my sons hair all the time. We experiment with different types of cornrows and box braids. I also maintain my other sons locs. That was a stupid statement for him to make.

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Op... I thought you said your dd has red hair? Is this a pic of your dd? 

(I think the braids are great. This little girl is adorable.)

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh hell, in a pinch I've even slapped a bandanna or a hat on her head if we had to make a quick trip somewhere.

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Yep. If you cannot take the time to run a brush through your childs hair or smooth it down that is just sad.

Quoting paganbaby:

Omg me too! That's one of my biggest pet peeves. Especially when mom's hair is neat and looking nice then her kid has funky frizzy hair. No excuse.

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Lol! It looks great though! Its alot of work but I HATE when I go out in public and see kids hair a mess. Super fuzzy braids, uncombed. It drives me crazy!! Lol

Quoting paganbaby:

It's a full time job isn't it? I remember all the time and effort I put into dd's hair when she was young. When ds came along it was like a culture shock. He's a white boy so all I had to do was run a comb through his hair once and it's done!

Yeah, he's an idiot. (The dad, not ds LOL)

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

I braid my sons hair all the time. We experiment with different types of cornrows and box braids. I also maintain my other sons locs. That was a stupid statement for him to make.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not worried about it. DD is happy with her hair and like you said, with practice, I can only get better :-)

Quoting RandRMomma:

I'm going to be completely honest, and don't fry me for this, but I have seen better. But, I give you an A+ for effort. You'll get better with more practice. :)

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM

No. One of her other friends. Although this friend does hang out with the other girls sometimes.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Okay.  So is this one of your daughters ex-friends?  

Quoting paganbaby:

I thought it was funny for him to say and sadly many people have the same view. I myself lacked confidence to braid her hair for years, relying instead on my sister who's mixed or her friends to braid it. Even though, aside from color, my sister is no more "black" than I.

Hair is hair. Anyone can learn how to care for it not matter what you look like. Just a good message to get out.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

If you and your daughter think it looks good why do you care what other people think.....

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

*Takes a bow* LOL!

Quoting Radarma:

Super impressed...but then again, you can make and create about anythang.

way to go white girl!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Ok. No, haven't heard it.

Quoting stacymomof2:

It means close friends or family. Have you not heard the expression?
Quoting EireLass:

What's a home girl?

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

A close female friend.

Quoting EireLass:

What's a home girl?

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM

It really is! And I can't wait for him to see her hair too,lol.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

The whole hair thing between black people and white people is stoooopid. I hope she runs Into her friends dad again. --with her braids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN