Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic for me at least

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM
  • 39 Replies

I just wanted to share and I am so excited I may actually have a banana tree produce as it has developed a heart flower. 

Since my phone does not wish to transfer the picture and literally died trying I am going to post what this looks like from another picture just so people know. It is the purple and green pod that is hanging down.

I am sharing because people said it wasn't possible. Hopefully I get fruit. If it produces that pod will open a petal at a time and produce a clump of bananas under the petal. Unfortunately, once it produces the "mother" plant dies but there are many babies left to continue production due to the underground nexus called the corm.

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

That's cool

gsprofval
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM

It's so neat to watch plants grow and see what they do.  Hope you do get bananas.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Thank you. 

Quoting gsprofval:

It's so neat to watch plants grow and see what they do.  Hope you do get bananas.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Oooh! Awesome!!!
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Too cool

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Wow cool! I have always heard bananas only like where they are naturally. Good luck getting some fruit!
As an aside I have a relative that gets peaches from a tree in mn. No idea how but proof that nothing is impossible. Also my mom got grapefruit from an indoor tree in mn. Tiny, ugly grapefruit but there it was!
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM

That is awesome. I really would love some citrus trees that produce but I do not have the room in the house and the greenhouse is still a work in process.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Wow cool! I have always heard bananas only like where they are naturally. Good luck getting some fruit!
As an aside I have a relative that gets peaches from a tree in mn. No idea how but proof that nothing is impossible. Also my mom got grapefruit from an indoor tree in mn. Tiny, ugly grapefruit but there it was!

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Cool!
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM
My dad has tried for 20 years to grow bananas in his CA yard... No success,
Congrats
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Thank you.

Quoting Sisteract:

My dad has tried for 20 years to grow bananas in his CA yard... No success,
Congrats

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)