Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tim Wise's Film to Take Aim at White Privilege

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:22 PM
  • 3 Replies

Tim Wise's Film to Take Aim at White Privilege

Tim Wise speaking at an event (timwise.org)

Prominent scholars such as Michelle Alexander, Charles Ogletree and Imani Perry are just a few of the big names who will appear alongside anti-racist author and educator Tim Wise in the film White Like Me. It will be an exploration of race and racism in the U.S. through the lens of whiteness and white privilege, according to Wise's website.

Although the project is close to completion, he recently kicked off a campaign to raise money to finish the film, whose baseline aim is to show how society's failure to properly acknowledge and confront the psychological, social and political effects of white privilege continues to perpetuate racial inequality and race-based political resentments.

Watch a discussion of the film here:

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/tim-wises-film-take-aim-white-privilege

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:23 PM

The only privilege in life is that of money....IMO

joyfree
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM

White Privilege???

What's that? No, I think it does exist, sadly... Of course, we know that it is a matter of opinion, which we will see shortly...

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Just by virtue of being white you are more likely to live longer, have more money, be a home owner, say out of jail, live in a safe community, not get pregnant out of wedlock, get better grades, have a better job, get better medical care...shall i go on?

If that's isn't privilege that i don't understand the meaning of the word.

Quoting joyfree:

White Privilege???

What's that? No, I think it does exist, sadly... Of course, we know that it is a matter of opinion, which we will see shortly...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured