Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Appeals Court Allows Texas to De-Fund Planned Parenthood Abortion Biz

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM
  • 120 Replies
3 moms liked this

The U.S Fifth Circuit Court (in New Orleans) has once again overturned a block from a liberal judicial activist that was keeping Texas from enforcing a Pro-Life rule disqualifying abortion providers and affiliates from the state-run Women’s Health Program (WHP).

Since the Pro-Life rule was enjoined by a federal District Judge in April, there have been multiple rulings over whether Texas can enforce this rule that would ban abortion providers, including Planned Parenthood, from participation in the program.

Nine Texas Planned Parenthood affiliates filed a lawsuit on April 11, asking Judge Yeakel to block the Pro-Life rule passed in 2011 when the program was reauthorized by the Legislature. They complained that the rule is unconstitutional.

Yesterday, a three-judge panel of the Fifth Circuit heard the full arguments over the injunction and lifted the block, granting the state permission to immediately stop sending money, our tax dollars, to Planned Parenthood.

The judges affirmed that the state can set rules and parameters for programs run and funded by the state.

Planned Parenthood argued that the Pro-Life rule violated their first amendment rights of speech and association because the rule ousts them from the program because of their affiliation (association) with abortion providers, their abortion referral business, and their discussion and advocacy of abortion with their patients.

The panel acknowledged that the state of Texas is authorized to set eligibility standards for state funded programs in regard to affiliation and speech. In fact, Planned Parenthood would be eligible to participate in the WHP if they would stop promoting and committing abortion, if they would stop killing innocent, unborn babies.

The Legislature began the WHP in 2005 to serve low income women, and when renewing the program in 2011, legislators were careful not to funnel women to abortion providers for basic health care services; thus, legislators added the Pro-Life rule, which is the subject of the controversy.

source

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:31 AM
8 moms liked this
Planned Parenthood is NOT an "abortion biz".
You just keep getting more and more tacky every day....or early morning, Iguess. Give it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM
6 moms liked this

You have swallowed the talking points hook line and sinker.    They would be so proud.

Quoting lga1965:

You just keep getting more and more tacky every day....or early morning, Iguess. Give it up.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM
11 moms liked this

LOL at the wording of this article

Just found out where I can donate directly to Planned Parenthood. Thanks, Candle, for motivating me.

lga1965
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. There is a PP a few miles away, near Target and my hairdresser. I'm thinking seriously about volunteering there, maybe applying for a job. Always contribute when I get envelops in the mail.
This kind of thread motivates pro-choice moms. Choice !

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Just found out where I can donate directly to Planned Parenthood. Thanks, Candle, for motivating me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Texas is on a roll lately!
candlegal
by Judy on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM
3 moms liked this

It is ok Iga, you can say it. ........ pro abortion.

It would't surprise me in the least if you told me you volunteered for pp for free helping in the murder of innocent babies.

Quoting lga1965:

Exactly. There is a PP a few miles away, near Target and my hairdresser. I'm thinking seriously about volunteering there, maybe applying for a job. Always contribute when I get envelops in the mail.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM
You've done the same thing, just for the other side.

Quoting candlegal:

You have swallowed the talking points hook line and sinker.    They would be so proud.

Quoting lga1965:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM
5 moms liked this

I am proud to be on the side of LIFE

Quoting coolmommy2x:

You've done the same thing, just for the other side.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lga1965:

lga1965
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Pro-CHOICE.

Quoting candlegal:

It would't surprise me in the least if you told me you volunteered for pp for free helping in the murder of innocent babies.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:59 AM
3 moms liked this

of course, it makes it sound so much better, doesn't it.   Pro abortion is such an icky way to say it, even when it is the truth.

Quoting lga1965:

Pro-CHOICE.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)