Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

People should discourage their kids from participating in adult conversations

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM
  • 76 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think its okay for kids to be present during--and butt into adult conversations?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 109

View Results

I just can't even say more than that...kids should not be around adults when they're talking and if they are (assuming there's no where else for them to go or nothing to entertain them--no friends to play with or enough space to go to another room), their parents should teach them that it is not okay to interject their comments into adult conversations. It's very unsettling to be in the midst of a conversation with an adult and then have a child butt in. Thoughts???

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM
2 moms liked this

It is ok for them to be present, but definitely rude to butt in.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM
15 moms liked this
If they are following general rules of conversing (not cutting someone off, staying relevant) I see no issue.
mcginnisc
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM
10 moms liked this

Be there? Fine.. no issues here. 

Involved in the conversation? It depends on the age of the child, the discussion involved, and whether the child is being polite or being a nuisance. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

bxmom2580
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM
3 moms liked this
Um,no. Kids have no place in adult conversations.
lokilover
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

The Child was right, you were wrong.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM
10 moms liked this

It depends on the context of the conversation, but in general I disagree that children should be seen and not heard.  If a child is on topic and respecting conversation rules, I don't have a problem with it.  As a parent of an only child, my son spends a lot of time in rooms with adults talking, and he knows how to participate in a conversation.  He also is okay if I suggest to him that he read a book or draw, if the conversation is going to be over his head or boring to him.  

You would have to provide more context for me to understand what happened that seemed so inappropriate to you.  

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

For me it depends on the topic of conversation especially if a person is trying to railroad a kid. It would happen a lot when I was a kid and i spoke up for myself.  I do believe that a child shouldn't be around mature conversation and that is when its up to the adult to occupy that child with something for them to do or don't bring up the mature subject. Some people like the children should be seen not heard logic which is fine for them but I feel like there is a time and a place for adult conversation and in front of kids isn't always the right place. Like with dh I don't talk about our issues in front of my daughter because its a topic she shouldn't know anything about but normal day to day conversation its not a big deal to me and if she interjects with a excuse me mom and reminds me of something. I would just say thanks kid.  Ignoring kids or telling them to be quiet has led to other kids getting into trouble because a parent has told them to wait or don't interrupt me.

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this
It really depends. We tend to follow more of everyone is welcome into the conversation if they are in the room. If its that " adult" or "private " then it should wait till later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM
5 moms liked this
Context, context, context.

My kids are welcome to join in conversations, but not allowed to be rude (butting in, interrupting)

If the topic of conversation is mature or not appropriate for a child to take part in or hear, I would hope that the adults would wait until the child is not around or otherwise occupied before beginning that conversation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Piskie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM
No..... As long as they're polite, what does it mayter?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN