Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O: Healthy food versus Junk Food; What do your kids eat?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 31 Replies

Poll

Question: Do your children eat 'junk' food, healthy food, or a mix of stuff?

Options:

My children live on "nuggets" and chips! They've never even seen a veggie!

My kids eat less veg and fruit thant I'd like, but I make nutritious meals most of the time.

About 80 percent healthy, with some "junk".

My children eat nothing that could even possibly be called "junk" food, they would never even dream of touching a cookie or a potato chip!

Eh, who freakin' cares? They're still alive aren't they?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

So, what's the story?

What do you consider "junk food". I know people who believe that fruit is junk food because it has sugar in it, people who won't let their kids eat bread because 'gluten makes you fat'. People who won't let their kids eat butter or any kind of oil because it is fat....

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids eat a mixture. My grandmother lived to 100 and she ate McDonald twice a day. For breakfast she would have a pastry. I am moving towards growing or raising 80% of our food so I am open to what they eat the rest of the time.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

#1, a girl, fruits and veggeis, some chicken, pork and fish. She is very, very particular about her intake and has been since about age 13 [she is 26].

#2, a boy - horrible diet for the first 17 years of life- Now at 22 he eats a very balanced diet, that includes junk.

I offered decent food + some junk. My kids were both tiny and not even onthe grow the charts- without some junk my boy would have been labeled FTT.

They are both healthy void some genetic dental issues.

GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Other things that I've been told are "junk food".

Yogurt (even plain)

Cheese

Eggs

Peanut butter

Fruit Juice (even watered down)

Corn

Peas

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM
My kids have days where they eat mostly junk and days when eat mostly healthy food. I think it all balances out for them. DD always asked for apples with her happy meal, she gets apples at Subway. They love fruit and a lot of veggies. Their favorite snack is veggies with hummus after school.

But sometimes you just need a bow of Cap'n Crunch for breakfast (at least I do!).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Meh.  Mine are alive.  I voted "My kids eat less veg and fruit thant I'd like, but I make nutritious meals most of the time."  I do my best to serve well balanced meals.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I fail.  The kids like a variety of stuff, with my son much pickier than my daughter.  They are 6, and he is finally getting more adventureous about what he is willing to try.  But they both eat fish, chicken, beef.  They both eat lots of fruits.  He is super anti-veggie, she will eat any veggie.  But they also love hot dogs and chips and crap.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM
I think my DS has fallen off the charts. He is 5 and only 42 lbs.

ETA: I mean 32 lbs.
Quoting Sisteract:#1, a girl, fruits and veggeis, some chicken, pork and fish. She is very, very particular about her intake and has been since about age 13 [she is 26].#2, a boy - horrible diet for the first 17 years of life- Now at 22 he eats a very balanced diet, that includes junk.I offered decent food + some junk. My kids were both tiny and not even onthe grow the charts- without some junk my boy would have been labeled FTT.They are both healthy void some genetic dental issues.
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM

My kids are young still, but this sounds like my family! The kids are very different from each other. I can make a sandwich with tomato, romaine lettuce, cheese, and healthy meat. One child will eat it all up. Another might take it apart and only eat the bread and cheese. I make a bell pepper caserole with bell peppers, fresh tomatoes, fresh corn, kidney beans, rice, cheese, and sometimes a meat. The same child who only ate the bread and cheese from the sandwich will pick out the grains of rice to eat. 

Quoting Sisteract:

#1, a girl, fruits and veggeis, some chicken, pork and fish. She is very, very particular about her intake and has been since about age 13 [she is 26].

#2, a boy - horrible diet for the first 17 years of life- Now at 22 he eats a very balanced diet, that includes junk.

I offered decent food + some junk. My kids were both tiny and not even onthe grow the charts- without some junk my boy would have been labeled FTT.

housewifehell
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I no longer allow my kids to eat ANY "non-food" which is what is in Junk food.  After struggling with my weight for over 20 years (I was obese by age 6) I found a system that worked for me and that was eating "clean". Now after seeing the affects it has had on my kids I am teaching them that packaged food is junk and not food so why would you eat something that is not food.  I am not talking about sugar salt or fat I am talking only about the chemical additives that are in the "food" that preserves them and the dyes and other unnatural things in the "food".  I make everything from scratch and it takes almost no effort or time, it costs less and I am activly teaching my children about nutrition. I have seen a huge difference in my kids behavior since they stopped eating the junk. They no longer have terrible tantrums their eyes no longer glaze over when they get upset and they no longer have night terrors. As a mother it was heartbreaking to watch them go through these things and feel helpless but then I realized if I started feeding them better this stuff doesn't happen. And an added plus for me is that I NEVER worry about calories or any of that stuff anymore because the whole real food I eat keeps my body healthy now instead of killing myself with what I thought was "ok" to eat and getting frustrated by gaining more weight day by day.

In our house the thought process is if it isn't food then why would you eat it! so if it has ANY non food ingredients we simply dont eat it.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I know in Kinder, my daughter weighed 37 and my son 39 lbs-

Quoting smalltowngal:

I think my DS has fallen off the charts. He is 5 and only 42 lbs.

Quoting Sisteract:

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM

The most junk my kids get is the amount of koolaid I let them drink. Several cups a day. They do drink alot of water and milk aside from that.

As far as snacks go, sometimes I have cookies in the jar, sometimes not. They sometimes get ice cream if they eat all of their supper. Snacks during the day consists of fruit, carrot sticks, yogurt, cheese, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN