Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why have a kid?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM
  • 298 Replies
9 moms liked this

I was just reading an interview with the CFO of JP Morgan Chase.  A woman.  

In the interview it's revealed that she chose to have a child on her own and he is 18 months now.  

She also says she has a team of close friends and nannies to help her with him.  She *tries* to spend 15-30 min in the morning with him OR 30-60 min at night.  But if she can't swing that, she doesn't beat herself up over it.  

I read and re-read (and if anyone else can find the interview in Marie Claire, read and fact check me, I must be missing something..)

Why did she have a kid?  It seems like such an inherently selfish thing to do, why bring a life into this world if you aren't spending any time with it?  

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM
13 moms liked this

There could be things left out of this. Such as...she accidently got pregnant, is not 'in love' with the father, and is not in favor of abortion or adoption.

But I agree with you.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM
69 moms liked this

I personally know several professional women like this. Their biological clock was ticking and like the rest of us, simply wanted a child. Why else does anyone want a child; It certainly is no rational reasoning. Not that I have figured out yet! Because quite frankly, what rational person would ever choose all the work and expense!? (JK-sortof)

Would the same bashing (that I am sure will ensue)  be said about a man who chooses to have a child and works as a CFO for a major firm; who only sees his child for an hour a day at best?

sophiasmommy27
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM
41 moms liked this

this was posted a few months ago.just fyi, i remember arguing my point not too long ago :)

no one has a right to judge any other mother, because i can guarantee you, youre not perfect either dear. her job is important to her, how is that wrong? that woman can give her child things you and i only dream of. and i most days i wish i had a nanny. i see nothing wrong with what she does, and quite frankly, hope to get to a level in my career where i can afford a full time nanny for future children i may have. ( but at this point, ONE is MORE than enough)

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
8 moms liked this

If he actively chose and planned to be a single parent -- I'd have the same issues.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:a

I personally know several professional women like this. Their biological clock was ticking and like the rest of us, simply wanted a child. Why else does anyone want a child; It certainly is no rational reasoning. Not that I have figured out yet! Because quite frankly, what rational person would ever choose all the work and expense!? (JK-sortof)

Would the same bashing (that I am sure will ensue)  be said about a man who chooses to have a child and works as a CFO for a major firm; who only sees his child for an hour a day at best?

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM
3 moms liked this
Haha! I agree with all points!

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM
12 moms liked this

Or if you're poor, uneducated, lazy, unintelligent, a drug user, medically or mentally fragile, young, old, disabled, ugly, fat, thin...

So many people should not have kids, depending on the parameters used.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM
96 moms liked this

A woman who is poor and has kids is judged. A woman who has a job and can support her kid is still judged.

Women just cannot win.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM
18 moms liked this

My guess is she had a kid because she wanted one.  And beyond that, it's kinda none of your business.  Good on her.  Successful career woman, had the means to afford to have care on hand for her child.  What's the problem?  Her kid is 18 months old ... so he see her for a little during the week ... maybe they are together non-stop all weekend?  There are people with their kids all day that are barely present ... home with the kids, plop them in front of the tv, don't spend 10 minutes playing with them.

Don't worry about others.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM
31 moms liked this

Seriously!  Always beating each other up ... you stay home?  You suck.  You work?  You suck.  You are too old?  You suck.  You had kids that young?  You suck.

It's so sad.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

A woman who is poor and has kids is judged. A woman who has a job and can support her kid is still judged.

Women just cannot win.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM
22 moms liked this
She wanted to.

The End.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)