Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should girls be able to play football with the boys?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 77 Replies

A 12yo girl was recently booted off the football team at her Georgia Christian school because the CEO said the boys might have impure thoughts about her.

Should girls be able to play football with boys? Does that CEO have justified concerns?

EDITED to add link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/maddy-blythe-football-christian-bible_n_3479032.html

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM

If my DD had a passion for playing football, I'd probably fight the battle for her. But since I don't it, I don't care deeply either way.

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

They're gonna have have impure thoughts regardless.

Tough call though. I know there are girls who want to play, but not enough to form teams and compete. There are other issues with co-ed teams like seperate changing rooms, bathrooms.  There will be sexual harrassment as well.  And then I just read about the "anal Hazing" on this site yesterday. Can't imagine what they'd do to a girl in similar circumstances.

I think he made the right call but not for the right reasons.

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Impure thoughts about a girl in football pads, cleats, and helmet?!?! 

Clearly, females should stay far far away from poor vulnerable males. I think this guys is an idiot.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I'm not really passionate about it either way.
AlekD
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have a link to that story? 

Thompsonmommy84
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Yes...I am a big girl and in high school I wanted to play, but was refused. I could have held my own and wiped the floor with half of the wimpy boys I had seen play. People think that girls couldn't hold thir own around boy at football, but I actually taught my husband how to throw a football...lol

sillytime
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I did in Highschool :0) freshman year made a great friend first class and day at school. I was wearing a long flowy dress with tiny pink flowers all over it lol. This was 1994 is that for ever ago? Lmao
tscritch
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

If impure thoughts are their big worry then I certainly hope they don't have cheerleaders!!!! If any of my dd's want to play football and are good enough to make the team then I would do everything I could to support them!

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm actually torn in this. My kids play(ed) youth football - full contact - and had girls on their teams and on opposing teams. I don't see an issue with it at younger ages.

High school is another issue. There are issues with change rooms, football is very much a team sport and having one or more members not able to be in the locker room can affect the team dynamic.

My hubby coaches high school varsity football and while they have actually had girls on their teams at various times, they're not really supportive of having girls on the team. To be perfectly honest, the biggest negative they have with it is, the risk of having a girl falsely accusing them of sexual harassment/assault. Not that I think for one second that hubby or ANY of his fellow coaches would do such a thing, but all it takes is one girl to say something and reputations, careers, and lives can be ruined.

We've had several debate/discussions about this, and there are some very strict circumstances under which they'd consider it again. Mainly involving minimizing the risk of a false accusation by having a parent or third party on hand at ALL times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supercarp
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

A girl should be able to play if she can make the team. If that moron CEO thinks he can stop teenage boys from having impure thoughts he's delusional.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN