Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Certified organic label exists...what about a certified non-GMO label? Why or why not?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 134 Replies
Would you support mandatory labeling of those foods that are non-GMO? How would this be helpful to you? If it is irrelevant to you, talk about why.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I would like to see it as a label.  Let the free market decide if companies should be selling it or not.  If I am correct that Certified organic food is not allowed to be GMO, then it really wouldn't affect me, but it seems like a good idea.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
well that would sure take the labling burden off of big agro huh? And make their products look better on the shelves because their garbage is in everything.

It would also make normal food look like expensive specialites that arent normal products so that would be good for big agro too. Hmmmmm.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Youre not correct. Organic means pesticide and hormone free.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I would like to see it as a label.  Let the free market decide if companies should be selling it or not.  If I am correct that Certified organic food is not allowed to be GMO, then it really wouldn't affect me, but it seems like a good idea.

bluerooffarm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM

The use of genetic engineering, or genetically modified organisms (GMOs), is prohibited in organic products. - See more at: http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/05/17/organic-101-can-gmos-be-used-in-organic-products/#sthash.oUJW7FKw.dpuf

Quoting UpSheRises:

Youre not correct. Organic means pesticide and hormone free.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

coronado25
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Labeling, in general, can hold some silly doozies. I was sharing a bag of Trader Joe's turkey jerky the other day with a co worker who shops there. The label read free of this free of that and one of those things was hormones...as in made from turkeys with no added hormones. Well, no one uses hormones in the turkey meat industry here in the USA...as a matter of fact, it is against the law to do so. But labeling the turkey jerky as hormone free sells more of it I suppose than the fella whose turkey jerky label does not read hormone free eveen though no one's turkeys have added hormones. But the other fella won't be doing very well businesswise comparatively because of the label on the other guy's turkey jerky because it insinuates that other turkey raisers do or might give their birds hormones. love it. Hilarious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Quoting coronado25:

Labeling, in general, can hold some silly doozies. I was sharing a bag of Trader Joe's turkey jerky the other day with a co worker who shops there. The label read free of this free of that and one of those things was hormones...as in made from turkeys with no added hormones. Well, no one uses hormones in the turkey meat industry here in the USA...as a matter of fact, it is against the law to do so. But labeling the turkey jerky as hormone free sells more of it I suppose than the fella whose turkey jerky label does not read hormone free eveen though no one's turkeys have added hormones. But the other fella won't be doing very well businesswise comparatively because of the label on the other guy's turkey jerky because it insinuates that other turkey raisers do or might give their birds hormones. love it. Hilarious.

I love those!!  The "fat free" foods and the "gluten free" foods etc. that shouldn't contain them anyway!  LOL

coronado25
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I so agree. And for sugar free foods that use a sugar substitute, I wish they would skip saying sugar free and label it as "sweetened with_____" and put the name of the sugar substitute on the label. I cant stand the taste of diet and sugarfree sweet things...It all has a weird aftertaste to me.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting coronado25:

I love those!!  The "fat free" foods and the "gluten free" foods etc. that shouldn't contain them anyway!  LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Absolutely!!  Also the fruit juice that has splenda!  Yuck!  I was told to drink some cranberry or blueberry juice, but I hate how sweet they are storebought, but the "lower sugar" stuff was so gross!

Quoting coronado25:

I so agree. And for sugar free foods that use a sugar substitute, I wish they would skip saying sugar free and label it as "sweetened with_____" and put the name of the sugar substitute on the label. I cant stand the taste of diet and sugarfree sweet things...It all has a weird aftertaste to me.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting coronado25:

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Certified Non-GMO labels already exist, and many products voluntarily label as such. These are my blue corn tortilla chips.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM
I've seen a non GMO label on foods. Though, it was a huge bag of rice imported from China, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN